Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Instagram Update:
    Self arrest training in the snow.
    OwenM:
    I find it difficult to watch inexperienced videographers who constantly talk into the camera while ignoring the scenery.
    Worse yet: Talking into the camera while eating.
    Wayne

Yeah, mine are all OF the scenery, waterfalls, memorable campsite, etc. never facing me.

Oh, and I hauled 7 or 8lbs of stuff left on the edge of the trail near a campsite about 5 miles with a side hike to a TH that I knew had garbage cans(rather than carry it another 4 miles!) on my way out of the woods this morning. It's sad anyone finds picking up a little trash remarkable, but I'm glad he thinks in terms of doing *something* rather than nothing. You can be sure he's not leaving trash if he's picking up other people's, too!
    He's got a great attitude and is very likeable, regardless.

I hear you.
    Some people’s kids, the messy type, should not be allowed to leave home.
    Wayne

I am sorry for his struggles; however, I wish him well...

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm a late arrival to the thread.

I run on the heavy side, at times in my life I've gotten to 50 lbs or so above ideal weight.

My personal experience: If I have time to hike (not guaranteed, I have lots of other responsibilities, and I don't shirk them), and I have health to hike (not guaranteed, two foot operations and two eye operations in the last three years, and two more eye operations next month), then I've no weight problem. When I picked up hiking regularly after a long absence, ten years ago or so, I dropped forty pounds in two years without trying. Without deprivation, without active calorie management, without substitution, without a carefully planned exercise regimen. Just having fun in the woods and eating whatever I darned please.

Some folks here get pretty sanctimonious about weight, about fitness, about diet, whatever. Y'know what? I'm never going to be the kind of physical specimen that some of the WB'ers are. Doesn't matter. I get out there and have fun. Or I hope to again, once the docs have me patched back together.

And don't harangue me that with healthier living I wouldn't have had the problems. I've gotten kind of old. Nobody's figured out how to fix old, or even postpone it very much.

Hmm, for that matter, some folks on this thread are getting sanctimonious about trash. For what it's worth, on many hikes, I've come out with a kitchen garbage bag of other people's refuse. Some of the hauls have been pretty strange. The worst spots are a couple of secluded corners in a local nature preserve where it appears that high school kids go to mess around. I bring a pair of disposable nitrile-rubber gloves in case I'm trashing out condoms. I will confess to sniggering when I came upon a pair of boxer shorts and a condom where the guy hadn't, uhm, finished the job. I bet he was dressing in considerable haste!

I don't do video on the trail. Most of the folks here have seen my still photographs. I'd probably commit all the video sins you all are bitching about, too.

I'll chalk it all up to cabin fever, and envy that you're sitting in front of a keyboard while he's hiking, however short the distances and however slow the pace.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Instagram Update:
    Self arrest training in the snow.
    OwenM:
    I find it difficult to watch inexperienced videographers who constantly talk into the camera while ignoring the scenery.
    Worse yet: Talking into the camera while eating.
    Wayne
    Funny, what kills most people's videos for me is..... When they open their mouth. They should stick to scenery. They have nothing to say that's not obvious and they can't string a coherent sentence together. Most YouTube videos are almost unwatchable Imo. So, when you find somebody that can it's like wow this guy's videos are good. At least by comparison...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-28-2019 at 22:55.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Funny, what kills most people's videos for me is..... When they open their mouth. They should stick to scenery. They have nothing to say that's not obvious and they can't string a coherent sentence together. Most YouTube videos are almost unwatchable Imo. So, when you find somebody that can it's like wow this guy's videos are good. At least by comparison...
    You'd probably appreciate John Zahorians videos. Very well put together

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I hear you.
    Some people’s kids, the messy type, should not be allowed to leave home.
    Wayne
    But those are the very ones parents want out of the house.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 03-29-2019 at 01:13.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    But those are the very ones parents want out of the house.
    Smacks his head hard!
    DUH!
    Yes. Of course.
    Wayne

Parents are usually the problem, IMO. Who do you think fails to instill values in those kids?
    Stuff I packed out today included a pair of men's ExOfficio boxers, ti spork, big Paktowl, about 3 sets of children's clothing(performance clothing like Nike Therma-Wear/Dri-Fit), Ruffwear Palisades dog pack and the stuff sack from a Hennessy hammock. None of it ruined, just wadded up and discarded, along with Smartwater bottles and Mountain House packages.
    I looked up that dog pack, and kinda wish I'd kept it for a friend. $150 retail-had no idea. That might have been several hundred bucks worth of stuff I threw away.
    But no matter the $ value involved, the mentality is the same.

Sorry for dragging this further OT. I'm used to packing out things like wrappers and bottles, and guess this struck me for being so unusual. I laid it all out and just looked at it for a couple minutes, wondering.
    20190328_091822.jpg
    Jerk could've left me a hammock, too, instead of just teasing me with the stuff sack

Just looking at the pile and conjuring up the NCIS theme.
    Or Criminal Minds.
    Aliens got the family and dog?
    Creepy if you want to think that way.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

New episode at YouTube.
    Wayne

Just looking at the pile and conjuring up the NCIS theme.
    I laid it out like that to look at.

New video? Maybe I'll make it past the first few minutes. I did actually watch one in its entirety today. Watching someone laying in their bag talking about not wanting to move isn't very exciting, but it's something I can certainly relate to!
    I have to deflate my pad to make myself get up when it's cold...

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post

New video? Maybe I'll make it past the first few minutes. I did actually watch one in its entirety today. Watching someone laying in their bag talking about not wanting to move isn't very exciting, but it's something I can certainly relate to!
    Yes indeed. The old hips hit the dirt wake up call. Those instructions should be printed next to the air valve.
    Thru Hike Video Plug:
    SeekingLost.com. 2018 CDT hike. The Wyoming videos.
    Wayne

Yes indeed. The old hips hit the dirt wake up call. Those instructions should be printed next to the air valve.
    Thru Hike Video Plug:
    SeekingLost.com. 2018 CDT hike. The Wyoming videos.
    Wayne
    Even though it defies logic I do not find watching past years thru hikes attractive. Like watching old news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post

I watched a couple of the early videos but I can’t make it through an entire one since. I love his curious attitude but Game of Thrones they aren’t.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Even though it defies logic I do not find watching past years thru hikes attractive. Like watching old news.

I guess it’s a Wyoming thing.
    I’m not twisting your arm.
    Wayne

Since this thread was founded on a weight loss theme...
    One data point about Thru Hiking Weight Loss:
    2018. CDT NOBO. Fit male hiker.
    Weight loss at Pie Town, New Mexico: 17 pounds.
    That 17 pounds remained steady to the Canadian border.
    Good luck Cory!
    Wayne

I guess it’s a Wyoming thing.
    I’m not twisting your arm.
    Wayne
    Duly noted

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I watched a couple of the early videos but I can’t make it through an entire one since. I love his curious attitude but Game of Thrones they aren’t.
    Prefer videos packed with data. Mileage? What time did he hit the trail this morning? Elevation change? Weather? Last resupply town? Days till next resupply? How much water on this section? Plans for next zero? Food choices and how they are working out? Difficulty getting laundry and resupply done? Using drop boxes? Sleeping well? Gear changes? Strategy for first big section without water?

Wish he had more of this in his videos.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++