WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Daniel Boone National Forest

I will be leading a small group on a road trip in mid-August. I anticipate that we may want to spend half a day in Daniel Boone National Forest, and then camp overnight before continuing on up I-75. Group is mixed age/ability. We won't be backpacking, but we'll hike or explore whatever we have time for. We will consider up to 5-6 total miles, but that's really stretching it. 2-3 is probably reasonable.

Suggestions for anything that's fun, scenic, or fascinating?

Any recommendations or cautions about specific campgrounds?

Thanks!

Default Daniel Boone National Forest

I stopped at Cumberland Falls with my kids on the way back from Cincinnati last summer. the falls are beautiful and right at the parking lot. there are also a bunch of trails that rate easy to moderate. it was crowded but we still really enjoyed our time there.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I stopped at Cumberland Falls with my kids on the way back from Cincinnati last summer. the falls are beautiful and right at the parking lot. there are also a bunch of trails that rate easy to moderate. it was crowded but we still really enjoyed our time there.
    Wow, I just watched some drone footage of the falls during a flood - what a monster!
    Looks like they've got a campground right there, so this is certainly doable, worthy of the drive from the interstate.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Wow, I just watched some drone footage of the falls during a flood - what a monster!
    Looks like they've got a campground right there, so this is certainly doable, worthy of the drive from the interstate.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    We didn't stay at the campground, but I think there's a pool, convenience store, and stables.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Journal Entries

Living in central Kentucky, Daniel Boone Forest trails and those of the Big South Fork have been my "go to" backpacking playgrounds for the past thirty years. I second the suggestion that your visit Cumberland Falls State Park. The Eagle Falls Trail there is one of my all time favorites. It's a relatively short but strenuous and very scenic day hiking loop trail. See:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/k...le-falls-trail

A 25 minute drive west from Cumberland Falls can get you to US highway 27 from which several attractive day hiking destinations in the drainage of another river, the Big South Fork of the Cumberland, can be readily accessed, specifically to BSF Nat. Rec. Area's Blue Heron attractions (scenic railway, restored coal camp, overlooks, trails), the BSF's NRA's Yahoo Falls Scenic area, and separately the Daniel Boone National Forest's Natural Arch Scenic area.

I like the food that is served in the Cumberland Falls State Park's DuPont Lodge. Perched on a steep hill side about 200 vertical feet above the river, the dining room there at the lodge has great views. I've found camping in Cumberland Falls S. P.'s campground to be OK, but not an exceptional experience. I prefer two rustic, low key Forest Service campgrounds that are located a couple of dozen miles from there, the one along side the Rockcastle River at Bee Rock (usually accessed from I-75 to the east, but, like Cumberland Falls, not close to I-75) and the smaller, often empty campground at Alum Ford (within the northern most part of the Big South Fork NRA, very close to Yahoo Falls Scenic area; like Yahoo Falls accessed from US Highway 27).

https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvis...campground.htm

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dbnf...a/?recid=39604
    Last edited by Siestita; 02-18-2019 at 03:00.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    Living in central Kentucky, Daniel Boone Forest trails and those of the Big South Fork have been my "go to" backpacking playgrounds for the past thirty years. I second the suggestion that your visit Cumberland Falls State Park. The Eagle Falls Trail there is one of my all time favorites. It's a relatively short but strenuous and very scenic day hiking loop trail....
    Thank you for your detailed suggestions. This looks like the perfect itinerary. Since we have several months before August, I have time to get up there myself and check it out ahead of time.

I've been to the Yahoo Falls area a couple of times. Lots more to explore there too.

Images

illabelle, I will "second" the suggestion of Cumberland Falls State Park. Wife and I stayed in the Lodge, but others with our group stayed in the campground. Several trails available, including even the Sheltowee Trace, which is what I hiked to get there.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    illabelle, I will "second" the suggestion of Cumberland Falls State Park. Wife and I stayed in the Lodge, but others with our group stayed in the campground. Several trails available, including even the Sheltowee Trace, which is what I hiked to get there.
    Well, technically I think that's a "third" (after devoidapop and siestita), but the consensus just makes the decision so much easier!

Living in central Kentucky, Daniel Boone Forest trails and those of the Big South Fork have been my "go to" backpacking playgrounds for the past thirty years. I second the suggestion that your visit Cumberland Falls State Park. The Eagle Falls Trail there is one of my all time favorites. It's a relatively short but strenuous and very scenic day hiking loop trail. See:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/k...le-falls-trail

A 25 minute drive west from Cumberland Falls can get you to US highway 27 from which several attractive day hiking destinations in the drainage of another river, the Big South Fork of the Cumberland, can be readily accessed, specifically to BSF Nat. Rec. Area's Blue Heron attractions (scenic railway, restored coal camp, overlooks, trails), the BSF's NRA's Yahoo Falls Scenic area, and separately the Daniel Boone National Forest's Natural Arch Scenic area.

I like the food that is served in the Cumberland Falls State Park's DuPont Lodge. Perched on a steep hill side about 200 vertical feet above the river, the dining room there at the lodge has great views. I've found camping in Cumberland Falls S. P.'s campground to be OK, but not an exceptional experience. I prefer two rustic, low key Forest Service campgrounds that are located a couple of dozen miles from there, the one along side the Rockcastle River at Bee Rock (usually accessed from I-75 to the east, but, like Cumberland Falls, not close to I-75) and the smaller, often empty campground at Alum Ford (within the northern most part of the Big South Fork NRA, very close to Yahoo Falls Scenic area; like Yahoo Falls accessed from US Highway 27).

https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvis...campground.htm

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dbnf...a/?recid=39604
    All this.,

NASA also has a lodge with good food. It's across from Red River Gorge if wanting greater short day hike length scenic exploration, NASA is less crowded as it's less popular. CG's are available. the Sheltowee Trace goes through here so it can offer the backbone for preparing a trip around.

Journal Entries

Dogwood--What do you mean by the abbreviation "NASA" in post 10? Perhaps you are referring to the lodge's dining room at Natural Bridge State Park, across the Mountain Parkway from the Red River Gorge area. Located an hour's drive southeast of Lexington those heavily visited beauty spots draw lots of visitors from the flat lands in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Interestingly, many Daniel Boone Forest trails further south are equally scenic but those receive far less use because they are more distant from Lexington, Louisville, and various mid-western cities.

My favorite short day hike at Red River Gorge is the easy 1.1 mile long (each way) Auxier Ridge Trail. And, Natural Bridge State Park's trails are great, too. At both those places day hikes can be readily taken by people of varied abilities.
    Last edited by Siestita; 02-18-2019 at 22:57.

Journal Entries

"...before continuing on up I-75...Suggestions for anything that's fun, scenic, or fascinating?"

Two very special places in Central Kentucky, within 30 to 60 minutes from Lexington and I-75 are:

(1) The restored Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill (Shakertown to locals) where one finds extraordinary traditional American food (seating best assured via reservations), living museum buildings, extensive trails through farmland, and short scenic boat cruises through the Kentucky River Palisades. It's a great place to linger, not to visit for just a few minutes while in a hurry to get elsewhere.

(2) A few miles west of Lexington its possible to do pleasant walks on low traffic roads that pass by Thoroughbred horse farms. Fences separate those pretty gazillion dollar horses and their pastures from the roads, but I find walking by to be pleasant. If you want to take a break from the Interstate for an hour or so, that's a good area in which to do so.
    Last edited by Siestita; 02-21-2019 at 22:51.

Images

A few miles west of Lexington its possible to do pleasant walks on low traffic roads that pass by Thoroughbred horse farms. Fences separate those pretty gazillion dollar horses and their pastures from the roads, but I find walking by to be pleasant

when i worked in lexington, the station was right beside a horse farm and we would go outside all the time and pet the horses............

station was right off of 75 as well....

Journal Entries

Horse farm sounds like fun. I bet our group would love that!

Journal Entries

"Horse farm sounds like fun. I bet our group would love that!"

One option would be to visit the state run "Kentucky Horse Park" which is conveniently located right off I-75. With an admission fee, a museum about horses, and various other exhibits and performance areas, its a place where you could make an extended stop.

It is also possible to make appointments (sometimes for a fee) to visit privately owned thoroughbred horse farms. In spite of the fact that I live nearby in Frankfort, or perhaps because of that proximity, I've never taken such a tour myself.

Instead I view the horses from adjoining country roads. One way that you could do that as you travel northward would be to branch off of I-75 onto I-64 heading westward (signs say Louisville). After about five minutes on I-64, take the first exit that you come to, which puts you onto US 62/Paynes Depot Road. [corrected from prior version of this post] That's a good road to drive southward on slowly, or better yet, to walk along. One of the area's more impressive horse is farms is located beside Yarnalton Pike just north of its intersection with Old Frankfort Pike. From there you might enjoy walking along various roads that lie south of Old Frankfort Pike and northwest of Keeneland. Keeneland is the region's thoroughbred race track. See the road maps of Western Fayette County and separately Woodford County that are linked below. The pretty little, very horsey and also tourist friendly town of Midway is located just a few miles further west, with its own exit from I-64. Area eateries include Midway's restaurants and also the deli at Wallace Station on Old Frankfort Pike.

http://www.wallacestation.com/new-page

https://transportation.ky.gov/Planni...ps/Fayette.pdf

https://transportation.ky.gov/Planni...s/Woodford.pdf

Last edited by Siestita; 02-25-2019 at 16:54.

Sorry for the ???NASA acronym. Yes I meant Natural Bridge.

FWIW, Siestita probably has the most comprehensive knowledge of the area IMHO I've seen on WB so I am not by any means attempting to jump in line ahead of him. Just adding a bit from two Sheltowee Traces thrus and some other hikes in KY.

Journal Entries

Siestita, thank you for the horsey details. Unlikely we'll have time for a farm tour (at least it looks that way right now) but you've given us some good options.

Journal Entries

OOPs--Illabelle, I erred in post #15. There is no exit from I-64 to Yarnalton Pike. Instead to access the country roads in that horse farm area either:

Exit I-64 at US 62/Paynes Mill Road OR

Exit I-75 at KY 1973 Iron Works Pike

Journal Entries

OOPs--Illabelle, I erred in post #15...

Correction noted.

Images

there's signs for the horse park off of the interstate so that will help ya as well....

Cumberland and Eagle Falls is good for a quick stop, though Cumberland without Eagle Falls is a total waste, IMO. Walk to a viewpoint, look at a big waterfall, and leave.
    The lip of Eagle Falls is an arch, btw. The water flows over and through it. Pretty cool.
    Big South Fork is *right there*, so why not include it?
    You'll be very close to Yahoo Falls and Yahoo Arch, short and easy.
    Not so short or easy, but Lick Creek Falls from the top would be my preference over either of those if the water's flowing, plus least likely to be crowded, maybe(?).
    Mid-August is definitely not a time I go on "waterfall tours", and might make that a poor choice, given how low the flow is even in winter. Hard not to mention it, though. Always a favorite.
    20181213_145537.jpg

Hey, the Honey Creek Loop's <6miles, and there are places to camp near the TH😉

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++