Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
I’m confused with permits. I’m trying to go from from Onion Valley into the section of JMT south to Mt Whitney.

Night one is going to be flower lake. What do I call it in the permit reservation?

Night two bubbs creek, night three Tyndall creek, night four Crabtree, night five guitar lake, then exit North Fork Lone Pine creek. Gonna summit Whitney but come back down to guitar lake. Then exit via mountaineer route

Sounds logical, right?
N Fork LP Crk/Iceberg and Guitar are on different sides of the ridge between Mt Russel and Trail Crest which Mt W summit resides. I don't think you're coming back down to Guitar Lake on the different side of the ridge.

Is this only agenda you could get a permit which is why the choice?

You might want to research the route some Low to High Route thrus take from the east side of which you could possibly descend which sounds like you're doing. This takes you from Iceberg to Upper Boy Scout to N Fork LP Creek Tr which was a somewhat intermittent trail. Once near Upper Boy Scout it becomes an easier trail. That's my old assessment though several yrs old. If you can read a map and compass or have GPS it's not hard though although descending is riskier the steeper and perhaps icier and heavily laden it and you are. This way is more adventurous but requiring more mindfulness on the east side rather taking the WP to Trail Crest Single track with umpteen narrow switch backs.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...ne-creek-trail
Enhance/blow it up. I think this depicts most of your hike.