WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tipping Shuttle Drivers

Is it appropriate to tip shuttle drivers?? How many of you do?

I always do, appreciate the service, shuttling is tough on vehicles, not always easy with logistics, etc. dont be cheap, just do it.

I’ve never used shuttles but if I did I would have no hesitation rounding up and providing a tip

I usually do, also, especially if I ask them to stop somewhere for breakfast or supplies or whatnot. I have a set of standards for tipping, and self employed people who set their own prices usually aren't on the "tip list" - but as the others have stated, they are doing me a great service, on my time table, so I usually round up.

If they own the business I do not, I know that they charge what they want and therefore should make what they need to make.
    If I ask them to stop anywhere along the way I add $10 a stop.

If I have chosen a shuttle company where an employee is doing the driving I tip them between 0 and $20 depending on the experience.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If they own the business I do not, I know that they charge what they want and therefore should make what they need to make.
    If I ask them to stop anywhere along the way I add $10 a stop.

If I have chosen a shuttle company where an employee is doing the driving I tip them between 0 and $20 depending on the experience.
    Agree with this. If they're the owner, they control the original price and that's fair. I will still tip in that circumstance if they had a ridiculously low price or went a bit above and beyond

Images

i will also base my tip on how friendly driver is and if we had a good conversation or something like that...

along with if driver gives me good information on trail or anything else.....

Like Uber tip is figured in the price,but hell if you feel like giving.

Images

Tipped all three times I used a shuttle. Especially the second, who turned out to be the third as well. Got really sick hiking. When I called,he dropped everything he was doing to come rescue me. Had everything lined up to make me comfortable. Of course, I tipped him!

Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe56 View Post
    Like Uber tip is figured in the price,but hell if you feel like giving.
    Uber doesn’t figure a tip into the fare, you get presented a few recommended options but can enter a custom amount.

The quoted fare for a shuttle or uber is all you are obligated to pay but these people don’t make a lot and the little extra you can help with is surely appreciated.

I always tip shuttle drivers, sometimes more and sometimes just a little. Prices are set to be competitive and win "the bid", service level dictates the value to me.

The onl time I *didn’t* tip was when the guy picked me up and stopped to get gas, but didn’t have any money to pay for the gas. After he had gotten me to the drop off, he hinted that “some ladies last week gave him a great time.” I reminded him that I had pad for a tank full of gas. “Oh yeah... .” Other than that, absolutely.

Thanks all

Journal Entries

If they not dumb enough to set price thats divisible by $20, they will probably get a tip.

Unless I’ve prepaid I generally tip, and even then I try to tip

Quote Originally Posted by adam12 View Post
    Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Uber doesn’t figure a tip into the fare, you get presented a few recommended options but can enter a custom amount.

The quoted fare for a shuttle or uber is all you are obligated to pay but these people don’t make a lot and the little extra you can help with is surely appreciated.
    Not going to argue,,but it is figured in that’s why you pay before .But feel free dude

Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe56 View Post
    Not going to argue,,but it is figured in that’s why you pay before .But feel free dude
    I use uber at least 10x per month so I’m pretty familiar. Check this out dude.

https://www.uber.com/en-SE/ride/how-it-works/tips/

"It’s completely optional, but always appreciated" Yea, no kidding. If he goes out of his way, say to stop at a convenience store at my request or something, then yea, I'll tip. If not, well...
    - Trail name: Thumper

i drive shuttles for an outfitter. my pay, gas, etc. is figured into the price. i don't expect or need a tip

I've sectioned for many years and have used countless shuttles to connect the dots. Some are business like and indifferent but most are very talkative and entertaining and full of information to boot. One that stands out in particular was in Bennington Vermont when he went far and beyond our expectations. We had failed to pack a camera so he ran us all over town on a Sunday until we found a cheap film model in a grocery store. We were looking for a point near Peru Peak to pick up our section which wasn't easy to find back in the pre GPS days and he was up and down several dusty back roads even going as far as to knock on the doors of the locals for directions. Needless to say we tipped him generously at the drop off and still appreciate his efforts to this day. Thank goodness for shuttle drivers!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++