WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Shuttle over 2 hours late to pick up - NO!

I always tip a shuttle. If you don't tip, don't expect a ride!

I like to tip, often modestly but out of showing added appreciation not out of obligation though. Most times my shuttle costs are nominal not choosing expensive shuttles. It creates added goodwill. I see it as a way to pay it forward for other hikers that come after me as many previous hikers have done which has impacted my shuttle experiences. I'm not hiking alone alienated as no one on the AT truly is. I'm part of a community and how I behave has an impact on others. Is it required? No. But that's my take.

If life has been generous enough to leave you with some extra green in your wallet and the driver has helped ease your journey, pay it forward. Tip generously, and not just because you think it is earned or expected.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Of course I appreciate when I get a tip for anything.
    But really, this whole tipping thing has gotten ridiculous.
    It's expected now-a-days in so many fields and that sucks.
    Having lived out of the USA and traveled extensively (55 countries and counting), I have to say it's a pleasure not to play the tipping game.
    Prices are marked, that's what you pay.
    And tax is often (usually) included.
    So if something says it costs 4 Euros or Baht, or Rupiah, well, that's what it costs.
    Life is complicated enough.
    OF course it's part of the American culture
    But who or why do you tip? It's not written down anywhere.
    It's confusing as all hell for tourists and those not familiar with the guessing game. (Mailman? cook? newstand? bus driver? hotel employees? (Which ones)

OK, rant over.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Having lived out of the USA and traveled extensively (55 countries and counting), I have to say it's a pleasure not to play the tipping game.
    So if something says it costs 4 Euros or Baht, or Rupiah, well, that's what it costs.
    It's confusing as all hell for tourists and those not familiar with the guessing game. (Mailman? cook? newstand? bus driver? hotel employees? (Which ones)

OK, rant over.
    I completely get what you are saying. Now days, one is expected to tip the hot dog vendor. I was told that in japan, tipping is actually considered to be offensive. "Vive la petite difference".

OK, rant over.
    Absolutely agree. Having traveled quite a bit in Japan and China, it was a welcome surprise to find that in other places so many do not have their hand stuck out for extra. You pay the price that's marked.
    I'm a bit tired of tipping postal carriers, barbers, Uber drivers, etc.
    For independent shuttle drivers, set the fee to cover your costs and whatever profit you expect, then tell me how much you charge up front so I can decide whether I want your service or not, and don't get pissy when I pay the stated price rather than 15-30% extra for doing what you said you would do.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I completely get what you are saying. Now days, one is expected to tip the hot dog vendor. I was told that in japan, tipping is actually considered to be offensive. "Vive la petite difference".
    ROTFL. he he he.

Last wk received a great $35 shampoo, hair cut, and shoulder massage. Stylists/therapist did a great job. Added $5 tip, about 15%. As I was happily walking out I heard the woman in their high priced designer apparel murmur to each other "cheap arse SOB" What happens if I go back? Should I expect some saliva or other body fluid in the shampoo? A keyed side door? What do people expect?

I remember back in my college days when four of us had dinner at a pub/restaurant. Our service was just so-so and the waitress seemed to be constantly distracted and not very friendly. When our check came, we put down our money with about a 5% tip and left. This waitress actually followed us to the parking lot screaming that the reasonable and customary tip was at least 15%. I told her that she was lucky she got a tip at all and stressed that tips are earned not deserved. I guess she'd been stiffed a bunch of times. Wonder if she ever got the message?

It's confusing as all hell for tourists and those not familiar with the guessing game.
    Totally agree. I don't understand American tipping at all.
    In Australia we only tip if service has been exceptional. And it is normally only in restaurants with full table service.

I have no idea when it is appropriate and when it is not. And tipping below average service? Where is the incentive to provide good service if it is mandatory?

Quote Originally Posted by iceaxe56 View Post
    Like Uber tip is figured in the price,but hell if you feel like giving.
    My dad drives for Uber and Llyft. He says the tip is not included in the price... and that the tips are what makes it worthwhile for him after Uber/Llyft take their cut...

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieChick View Post
    Totally agree. I don't understand American tipping at all.
    In Australia we only tip if service has been exceptional. And it is normally only in restaurants with full table service.
    I have no idea when it is appropriate and when it is not. And tipping below average service? Where is the incentive to provide good service if it is mandatory?
    You are so correct that it is confusing about tipping in other countries! I never know what to do when somewhere else, so I usually research it. In the U.S., restaurant workers who serve food are paid under minimum wage as it is assumed they are making tips. PLUS, their employers are required to tax them for EIGHT PERCENT of their SALES as assumed tip money. So, if someone doesn't at least leave 8%, the waiter/waitress actually loses money on that customer.... just fyi...

Journal Entries

TIPS

Is acronym

To
    Insure
    Prompt
    Service

I laugh at places that automatically add tip to bill, wont eat there.

Some add 18% automatically if party is X or more

Learned travelling with kids sports teams that
    Large parties get slow food, substandard service compared to same people eating at separate tables. Yet they charge you for it.

We would sit separately, get food in 30 min instead of 90, with wrong orders and forgotten items.

Some people work hard for tips, often your cruise ship servers, cabin steward, etc do. They make your experience, that deserves it. But plenty dont tip them because it adds hundreds up to $1000 for a week long cruise.

If they made your experience great...tip them well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-02-2019 at 17:30.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++