WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Trail Magic

Default Trail Magic

Looking for some advice on Trail Magic. We would like to honor a family member who passed away and was an avid hiker. We cant think of a better way then to provide some trail magic to thru hikers. We are flexible on the location but would like to provide Trail Magic on his birthday July 14th. Any suggestions on a good location where we could help the most hikers with fruit, water etc. on that date? Any suggestions of other provisions that would be nice to provide? Our first thought was the end of Pennsylvania before the Delaware Gap but I am not sure if that location and the July 14th date makes the most sense. I appreciate everyone's input.

mapman has provided this schedule over the years for where the most hikers will be during a specific time frame...I can not find the nobo schedule....

SOBO
    Med. Date.....Mean Date..........Landmark
    June 23.............June 24..............Katahdin
    July 8................July 10...............Stratton
    July 20..............July 21................Gorham
    Aug. 1...............July 31...............Glencliff
    Aug. 21.............Aug. 23...............Kent
    Aug. 31.............Sept. 4................Delaware Water Gap
    Sept. 14............Sept. 20..............Harpers Ferry
    Sept. 24............Sept. 30..............Waynesboro
    Oct. 17..............Oct. 23...............Damascus
    Nov. 11.............Nov. 12...............Fontana
    Nov. 21.............Nov. 23...............Springer
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

This website shows the distribution of hikers are on any given day of the year (based on Trail Journal entries over the last 16 years).
    It includes all hikers that have used trailjournals during the data collection period (2001-2016).
    https://www.wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/

Images

IMO----the best way to honor a family member is by doing trailwork of some sort...

We do that as well and are responsible for maintaining and cleaning a trail in a local State Park. His birthday is a day we would like to help others.

wookinpanub

This website shows the distribution of hikers are on any given day of the year (based on Trail Journal entries over the last 16 years).
    It includes all hikers that have used trailjournals during the data collection period (2001-2016).
    https://www.wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/

Thanks for ruining my productivity for the rest of the day. This site is awesome!

Kudos to you for wanting to honor their memory.
    Last edited by wookinpanub; 02-14-2019 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by wookinpanub View Post
    Thanks for ruining my productivity for the rest of the day. This site is awesome!
    lol. Glad I could make your day.

The heat map was really impressive. Now I know where the hikers are I am curious on actual numbers in one day. Any suggestions?

Ok, here is where I need you to be on July 14th. 5 or 6 miles East of Duncanon you will see on the map the intersection of PA 225 and PA 325. Go exactly 10 miles East on PA 325 to the parking lot where the AT crosses. That is about 7 hiking miles or 2.5 hours North of Peters Mt Shelter. Bring a plastic folding table, some chairs and your grill. I will depart that shelter at 7:30 and reach your position at 10 AM. I like hot dogs, chips and diet coke. If you like to bake then homemade blueberry or apple pie is great. Bring some water in one gallon jugs so we can top off and have a garbage bag so I can give you my trash. You won't bother anyone here. No houses, few cars. I will need you to stay open until about 4 or 5 as many of my North bound brothers and sisters will be passing by. On behalf of all thru hikers...thank you, you are awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by otisorgans View Post
    We do that as well and are responsible for maintaining and cleaning a trail in a local State Park. His birthday is a day we would like to help others.
    If you are really looking to help those who need some, sponsoring a Scout troop or other organization that will expose kids to the AT (or other backpacking trails) would be one of the best ways to do it. It doesn't take a lot of money, but can take some time to help set up and organize a trip that would include an overnight. Soliciting funds for a modest endowment can also provide a heck of a legacy, annual income can be used to help finance these trips and provide many youngsters this opportunity. In my view this would be far better and longer lasting than feeding people on vacation who happen to walk by that day.

Honestly that sounds like a great plan. That is fairly close to where I live. I was thinking of the trail right before hikers enter Delaware gap as a way of rewarding them for making it through PA but I like the idea of being a little more isolated. If there are other suggestions besides food (mini hand sanitizers, shoe laces, etc.) let me know. We have a foundation being set up that will help us purchase these items. This may be a little bit out there but I actually have access to a massage chair for the back and feet that run on a generator. I dont want to be insulting to hikers we just want to try to be helpful.

I plan on hiking from Delaware Water Gap to Bennington Vt. in mid May. I have done the Camino Frances in Spain and a lot of local trails but this will be my first time putting in serious miles on the AT and Im looking forward to it!

If you are too near a town, many hikers will be in a hurry to get into town; or will already be stocked up.
    Somewhere a little more isolate between restocking points, or near a particularly difficult section would give hikers a boost. Especially if you have shelter set up to get out of the rain, and somewhere to sit.

Massage chair sounds heavenly; but make sure it can be wiped down. Hiker funk.
    If you have a generator - recharging points for electronics would be handy.

Great input! I thought the same way about being too close to a town. I understand hiker funk! I would have sheets to cover chairs! Again if you have any other items besides food please pass it on.

I know I will get a little flack from some people who think we should do other things as a memorium. I appreciate their input but we are setting up a foundation and do a lot to help out our local community on a year long basis. But on this particular day it is important for us to begin celebrating his life instead of mourning his death. We cant think of a better way to celebrate his life than to put smiles on the faces of people who have the same passion and enthusiasm of hiking and the outdoors that he had.

Quote Originally Posted by otisorgans View Post
    Great input! I thought the same way about being too close to a town. I understand hiker funk! I would have sheets to cover chairs! Again if you have any other items besides food please pass it on.

I know I will get a little flack from some people who think we should do other things as a memorium. I appreciate their input but we are setting up a foundation and do a lot to help out our local community on a year long basis. But on this particular day it is important for us to begin celebrating his life instead of mourning his death. We cant think of a better way to celebrate his life than to put smiles on the faces of people who have the same passion and enthusiasm of hiking and the outdoors that he had.
    You'll also get flack if you are targeting thru-hikers only. What if a section hiker walks by your set up? day hiker? What makes thru-hikers more desrving than non-thrus?

trail magic should = leave no trace

I would look at the trail and find a lonely 2 track somewhere that goes to it or crosses it and set up there. (or near there) Accessible to hikers without including the curious public.

How about a bench with a small plaque, so a tired hiker could take a load off and ponder for a few. I always read them and often will sit and take in the view as I imagine who they were. I think the trail magic is an awesome idea and your generosity is a great way to remember him.
    Last edited by bighammer; 02-16-2019 at 00:23.

++ New Posts ++