WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Alpaca wool

Default Alpaca wool

Hey, I'm new to this forum and trying to get feedback on what hikers and explorers think about alpaca wool. I started a new organization called Arms of Andes. We focus on developing fleeces and base layers of Royal Alpaca (18.5 microns) and other outdoor gear. I was wondering if anyone ever used Alpaca wool in their adventures and hikes. What they experienced from it? pros and cons? Also is anyone aware of the difference between alpaca and merino wool?

Thanks!

(subscribed)

I'd like to know as well. I'm interested in Alpaca baselayers.
    Let me go

I just came in from the backyard (where I sleep when I'm not out on a backpacking trip)---and it was cold so I used an Alpaca toque and gotta say---my head felt like I had chiggers biting me through the night. It itches!!! My Icebreaker merino balaclava never did this.

P1000004.JPG
    Alpaca!

P1000003.JPG

I'm wearing a pair of Alpaca wool socks I got for Christmas last year. I like them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My wife has a pair of high quality alpaca socks and she loves them. They're extremely soft and warm and I'm jealous she has them for her sleep set. For what it's worth tipi, i dont know if this applies to your toque or not, but the first wool shearing that an alpaca has during a season is the best and fetches the highest price due to a significant leap in quality over subsequent shearings. I learned this when my wife and I stayed at an alpaca farm for a weekend not too far from our home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I just came in from the backyard (where I sleep when I'm not out on a backpacking trip)---and it was cold so I used an Alpaca toque and gotta say---my head felt like I had chiggers biting me through the night. It itches!!! My Icebreaker merino balaclava never did this.

P1000004.JPG
    Alpaca!

P1000003.JPG
    Hey there, this is interesting you say this because I think you the alpaca beanie you bought is of super fine, so about 22 microns. What was the brand?

Quote Originally Posted by C4web88 View Post
    My wife has a pair of high quality alpaca socks and she loves them. They're extremely soft and warm and I'm jealous she has them for her sleep set. For what it's worth tipi, i dont know if this applies to your toque or not, but the first wool shearing that an alpaca has during a season is the best and fetches the highest price due to a significant leap in quality over subsequent shearings. I learned this when my wife and I stayed at an alpaca farm for a weekend not too far from our home.
    Hi, by any chance do you know the brand of socks? And you're right, it depends what part of the alpaca the wool came from. The most common is super fine of 22 microns, then baby alpaca which is 20 microns and then royal alpaca which is 18 microns. The royal alpaca usually does not itch.

Love the soft warmth that never itched me of Turtle Fur alpaca wool beanies. Cant dry them on high though or they would fit a Ken doll. The Alpaca socks are on my list

Images

I've got a pair of alpaca gloves that I bought last year at Trail Days. I love them. A great base layer.

On the other hand, I knit myself an alpaca hat. It's toasty warm. But I wore it in the rain this winter. It soaked up water like crazy. It took hours hanging on a line over a blazing wood stove to dry out. Without artificial heat I'm not sure it would ever have dried out. So I've crossed that off my list of backpacking clothing for now.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I bought a number of alpaca llama items (sweaters, hats) during a trip to Bolivia. I liked the appearance and the colors, but they tended to smell, especially if they got wet. I prefer merino. Better made and no stink.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I bought a number of alpaca llama items (sweaters, hats) during a trip to Bolivia. I liked the appearance and the colors, but they tended to smell, especially if they got wet. I prefer merino. Better made and no stink.
    That's interesting you say they smell because alpaca wool is odor resistant. I wore my alpaca socks during a rainy hike and my socks were fine. Were the garments you wore mixed llama?

Images

Alpaca is the best in my opinion. Regulates amazingly well, no stink (even socks!). I have a Kuhl Alpaca pullover that I wear all winter, on and off the trail. Also have a few pairs of these socks: https://www.maximusandpenelope.com/

Yet to find an alpaca item I have not loved.

Hey! I’m a big fan of Alpaca and I have used Appalachian Gear Companies products for my thru on the Appalachian Trail last year and I just finished my PCT thru hike a few days ago. Their product is amazing and extremely durable. I wore one of their T-shirt’s last year everyday for 1,600 miles. It’s legit!! I know hike with one of their T-shirt’s, the Jodie, and a beanie. Quick drying and it does not retain the hiker smell.

I suspect that there are at least two variables when judging alpaca wool.
    The first is that very little of what is sold as alpaca is 100% (or close to it) alpaca. So it will depend on the mix .
    The next point is that ,like with wool, it depends on how it is treated (during manufacturing) , how sensitive one is to the itch and how some will react to the smell and others will not detect it at all.
    Come to think of it, that is more than two points of difference.

Appalachian Gear Company.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++