WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wild Ideas Bearikade Rental

Anyone out there have firsthand experience renting a bearikade from Wild Ideas?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

"Experience Renting" no.
    But I did buy from them and did my research on possible rental from them when I planned my JMT hike.

In the end, I decided to go the "buy and resell" route because I wanted to have the canister in my hands a few weeks before my trip to insure it was going to work with my pack (it didn't and I had to buy a new pack... something I might not have had time to do if I had gone the rental route).

But now that I know what I need... if I were to ever attempt the trip again, I would rent a Bearikade as the rental cost about the same as the difference in my purchase/resale price.

I’m having trouble believing I’ll have enough time to prepare with it, given they’ll send it a day or two before my trip. Seems too good to be true, the right price etc

Journal Entries

Buying and resell it will cost no more than renting

Dont underestimate practice packing

Its humurous, or sad, to watch people try to pack 10 day into rental 5 day can at mtr. Even my own, 8.5 day fit at home, difficult to do on a bench. I only got 7 day food in, left another out, put rest in buckets. Only needed 5 though.

MTR will give you the bums rush too. Its not a rest stop. Pick up maildrop, then leave promptly so someone else can have place to sit down and load theirs. When i was there they told people taking too much time to leave so others could sit.

You can have them send it anytime....you just have to pay for it...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-13-2019 at 10:32.

I rented an Expedition from them for my JMT trek in 2017 because I wasn't resupplying from MTR to Whitney. Came on time, and LUCKILY, that sucker just barely fit vertically into my pack. And I mean barely, it was much bigger than expected. Almost threw a big wrench into my plans.

I had my wife ship my civilian clothes and travel duffel to me in the Bearikade box and it was waiting for me in Lone Pine at the end of my trip. I then threw the Bearikade back into its box and shipped it back to them from the Lone Pine PO.

If you don't want to buy, I have no hesitations recommending a rental from them. Don't forget about the discount if you send a copy of your permit confirmation.
    It is what it is.

Excellent beta! This is what I want to read on a Wednesday morning, not TPS reports

Um yeahhh, if you could get back on those TPS reports, that'd be grrreat.
    It is what it is.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I’m having trouble believing I’ll have enough time to prepare with it, given they’ll send it a day or two before my trip. Seems too good to be true, the right price etc
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Dont underestimate practice packing
    Its humurous, or sad, to watch people try to pack 10 day into rental 5 day can at mtr. Even my own, 8.5 day fit at home, difficult to do on a bench. I only got 7 day food in, left another out, put rest in buckets. Only needed 5 though.
    MTR will give you the bums rush too...
    Even though I had my Bearikade in hand way ahead of time, I never took the time to see how much I could pack into it. After all, at the start of my trip, I only needed 5 days of supplies in the canister (while planning for 10 leaving MTR).
    Instead, I concentrated on preparing my food to be as small as possible. That meant "airy" foods (like crackers) were out. Snacks included sun flower seed kernels. Even went so far as to pack Peanut M&Ms for the 5 day sections (HI to Red's, Red's to MTR) and Plain M&Ms for the 10 day section (MTR to WP) because they pack smaller for the same number of calories.
    Pre-packaged foods, I did what I could do to reduce the space they occupy. Things in sealed bags, like pre-cooked bacon and Beef Jerky, I would poke a hole in the corner, squeeze out the excess air, and reseal the package before any "contaminated" air could get back in.

Agreed that MTR will give you the rush.
    My timing (got there relatively late in the afternoon) was that I only had enough time to make one pass of my resupply bucket to select what to keep and what to toss/(place in hiker buckets). Stuffed what would fit in the bear canister, the rest in a stuff sack, and then hiked out to a campsite to figure out how to pack the bear canister.

It took some trial and error, but here's the system I finally came up with to pack the bear canister:
    1. Pull out one day's food and set it aside.
    2. Start placing everything else in the bear canister any way it will go such that stuff packs tightly together without leaving any space. Don't be concerned one iota how the food is organized, just find what ever pieces pack down as close together as possible (things like pre-cooked bacon packages fit nicely around the outside edge eating very little of the volume).
    3. Place the one day's food supply on top of everything else. (Of course this means step 2 has to stop at a point where the remaining food will fit).

Now your bear canister is ready for tomorrow.
    Tomorrow night, empty the contents of your bear canister and start the process all over. Obviously, each day, as more food disappears, this process becomes easier.

I rented a weekender had shipped to cinnamon bear in mammoth where I flew into. Called ahead to verify was there...no issues...at the time was using a ula circuit new would fit fine.. if your needing more space as on a slow pace might be different as I did in lil over 12 days few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be going back this fall nobo and will be buying a bareboxer to use with my MLD burn...as others said the Bearikade have great resale so may as well buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++