WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default InsectShield groundsheet project

I've never MYOG'd anything more complex than a cat stove, so although my questions may seem overly obvious, please bear with me. I'm thinking about forgoing my bug nest when the temps are too cool for mosquitoes and using a polycro or Tyvek groundsheet instead. But I'm concerned (paranoid?) about making myself a nighttime meal for ticks. So I'm thinking about buying either a light garment or some bug netting pre-treated with InsectShield (e.g. STS nano net), then tearing the purchase up, and finally pasting a two-inch or three-inch moat of insecticide-treated material on top of the polycro/Tyvek, at the edges.

1. Is there any reason that this wouldn't make sense, either in terms of making it or effectiveness?

2. Is there any reason to choose netting over, say, polyester, or vice versa? The Nano is only about four ounces for the whole thing, so using part of one would be pretty light.

3. What glue would be good to use?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Why not treat your tyvek groundsheet with permethrin?

Quote Originally Posted by wstatz View Post
    Thanks, wstatz. That's an option too. I've seen references recently to occupational use of permethrin being linked to Parkinson's. I know the exposure is much lower, but I'd like to go with Insect Shield when I can. But I might end up doing that.

Good morning,

Note: "Insect shield" uses permethrin ...

Regardless, unless you are regularly sleeping in tall grass, your potential exposure to ticks is really very minimal. I have known a lot of people have and acquired ticks while walking through their primary habitat ... while I'm certain there are examples, in all my years I have never heard of even my most susceptible friends getting a tick overnight while sleeping on a ground sheet.

I think you might be over concerned ... in my humble opinion, you are more likely to pick up a tick while out for a night-time stroll (and bring it back to bed with you) than for the tick to find you in bed.

Turtyl

Ticks like moist areas. Your most likely to pick up a tick in the morning when there is still dew on the grass. They also like low bushes as it stays damp under there. Ticks aren't all that mobile, they mostly wait for you to come along, they don't wander around looking for you.

So, if you camp in open areas free of tall grass or on dirt in well established campsites, stay on the trail and don't stealth camp off trail in tick prone areas, your pretty safe. I wouldn't worry much about ticks, but the other creepy crawly things like beetles, millipedes, centipedes, spiders, mice, chipmunks, skunks, raccoons, bobcats and what ever else is wandering around out there at night.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks, Turtle and Slo-go’en. Yes I know I’m being paranoid about the ticks — and the spray permethrin. Appreciate the thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by wstatz View Post
    That is what I have been doing for a couple of years now. Seems to work.

And I know it is anecdotal, but before I starting treating my groundsheet I did have a tick on it while camping in the Hoosier National Forest. This was at a site in a stand of pine trees, with a fairly thick layer of pine needles/duff on the ground.

Have you ever considered using a hammock?Mine keeps me and all my stuff up off the ground and out the tick and spider zone.It's also more comfortable to me but not everyone likes them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Ticks aren't all that mobile, they mostly wait for you to come along, they don't wander around looking for you.
    The Lone Star Tick can track you down from 100 yards. They can sniff you out pretty good.
    And I probably seen them move faster than 6 feet a minute
    Last edited by petedelisio; 04-22-2019 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    The Lone Star Tick can track you down from 100 yards. They can sniff you out pretty good.
    And I probably seen them move faster than 6 feet a minute
    I tried to reply, "Wow." But apparently I need at least 10 characters to post. So wow wow wow wow.

Images

Permethrin bonds to the fibers of fabrics. You need to do some research to see if it will bond the same way to Tyvek.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

The STS nanoseeum 1 P W/ Insect Shield is 2.9 oz. I use one for vampires. In heavy tick areas I permethrin treat a 1443R Tyvek cowboy sized ground sheet. On skin I use a mixed essential oils of rosemary, lemongrass, peppermint, thyme, and geraniol OR picaridin. That's three prongs in an overall approach for ticks. I've seen ticks, gnats, and mozzies land on or attempt to crawl across a newly treated S2S Insect Shield or Tyvek and they do NOT like it. Ticks and mozzies will fall off either onto the ground.

Of course you don’t need to cowboy camp to get a tick. Found one in my belly button after one-day cabin trip near Shenandoah, on wide trails, wearing all my permethrin clothes. Getting antibiotic now.

And btw a big thank you to all you PATC volunteers. Those cabins are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Mike View Post
    Of course you don’t need to cowboy camp to get a tick. Found one in my belly button after one-day cabin trip near Shenandoah, on wide trails, wearing all my permethrin clothes. Getting antibiotic now.
    That's what you get for leaving all that lint in there. Makes a nice tick nest.

Yeah should have used it for kindling first.

Of course you don’t need to cowboy camp to get a tick...
    Yeah but you were clearly referring to shelter and sleep systems concerned with ticks as you sleep in your OP. Yes or No? When highly tick concerned before sleep a full body check for ticks in tick prone warm areas seems sensible as part of daily trail maintenance of oneself.

BTW I have treated polycro/window film with spray on permethrin. It makes it slightly sticky, more prone to having ground debris stick to it when newly applied after it has dried. I suspect since it's sprayed on a non permeable non porous material it has a reduced effective lifespan. It does make polycro noticeably less slippery when newly applied. Since Tyvek is hydrophobic but is a woven textile it probably sticks better but doesn't have the optimal insecticidal repellency lifespan either. That's why it is suggested most times with insects a multiple pronged repellency approach commensurate with the degree of insect pressure and risk management

BTW ticks snap crackle and pop in the fire. I've seen them act like popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yeah but you were clearly referring to shelter and sleep systems concerned with ticks as you sleep in your OP. Yes or No? When highly tick concerned before sleep a full body check for ticks in tick prone warm areas seems sensible as part of daily trail maintenance of oneself.
    Yes. Got too reliant on the Insect Shield pants/socks and permethrin shoes. Got to be more careful.

Images

What kind of tick was it?

++ New Posts ++