WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default The AMC does it Again

Those $100 dirty wool blankets in the huts are good for something.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Those $100 dirty wool blankets in the huts are good for something.
    This past trip, I had the worst bunk in the entire place, at Lakes. The thrus had all the space on the dining room floor, so I took my 2 $107. blankets and laid out under the front of the counter by the door.................it worked.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    This past trip, I had the worst bunk in the entire place, at Lakes. The thrus had all the space on the dining room floor, so I took my 2 $107. blankets and laid out under the front of the counter by the door.................it worked.
    ok now i have to know, which is THE worst bunk there?

my only time overnighting there it was half empty. i really cant imagine under what circumstances i'd pay to spend the night there when its full. the thought is frankly terrifying.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    ok now i have to know, which is THE worst bunk there?

my only time overnighting there it was half empty. i really cant imagine under what circumstances i'd pay to spend the night there when its full. the thought is frankly terrifying.
    Both times i've been to Lakes (Aug) it was full. In 18, I did a traverse and stayed at Mizpah, Lakes and Madison. The food is worth it alone. Yea, Lakes gets crazy.
    So, the first bunk room on the East side, as you walk in the door there are 3 bunks, the top in that room has a lower ceiling. I couldn't stay up there. It was worse than a bunk in a torpedo room. I'm a sleep spinner!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Both times i've been to Lakes (Aug) it was full. In 18, I did a traverse and stayed at Mizpah, Lakes and Madison. The food is worth it alone. Yea, Lakes gets crazy.
    So, the first bunk room on the East side, as you walk in the door there are 3 bunks, the top in that room has a lower ceiling. I couldn't stay up there. It was worse than a bunk in a torpedo room. I'm a sleep spinner!
    yup thats sound like a solid candidate for worst bunk.

you know, come to think of it ive never been at any of the huts in a crowd. well, not overnight anyway, and during he day they always feel empty because i dont think many people linger for multiple days.

i stayed at galehead once when there was i think 6 people. at lakes there was probably 15, at carter notch it was so empty i had a private bunk room. when its like that its worth it, the idea of them crowded though... and i sleep in plenty of crowded shelters, but those are free.

as for the food, the other thing ive always been is late to dinner.

The AMC got a big helping hand with the Maine Woods initiative when Plum Creek (now Weyerhaeuser) desperately needed to greenwash the development proposal for the Moosehead lake area. AMC got the land for cheap, carved out private inholdings for future recreation development and have been getting paid to protect the rest which incidentally improves the long term value of the recreational holdings. Not sure if this block of land is part of the original Plum Creek transfer or a subsequent purchase. With the general collapse in wood prices and loss of local markets I expect there are plenty of willing sellers of timberland and if AMC can get a foundation to pay for it and then turn around and put a development easement on it, more power to them.

Reportedly AMC still has a fundamental problem that the Maine Initiative just is not getting the guest demand they anticipated. I haven't seen any hard numbers so maybe its just sour grapes by someone but I haven't heard of a lot of folks that had a tough time getting reservations which indicates they are not full up. The core membership is in Mass and its long drive on rural roads to get up there. I think its faster to drive to Acadia or BSP then the AMC camps. Bug season is far longer than in the whites (Back flies are trout food ) so the prime season is shorter. Maine Huts and Trails is bit closer and offers a similar hut to hut experience for less.

It looks like the purchase includes the road into the area, curious if AMC will get rid of the gatehouse and allow free access?.

Lake of the Clouds AKA Lake of the Crowds lives up to its name. Someone has to be real sound sleeper to get a bit of sleep in any of the huts or on some sort of sleep aid. I have met several folks who booked a night in the hut and ended up moving outdoors in their sleeping bag and cowboy camping to get some sleep. During the week early in the season the huts are not full although they do on occasion bring up local youth groups to fill some slots and get some reduced revenue or at least PR.

Journal Entries

Here's another one. The AMC has a hut in Harriman State park in NY. However, no day hikers can go there, not even for lunch. They say to not use the trails to the hut and not use the lake. Only those paying can use the area, which are the rich ones. No wonder they call them the MONEY CHANGERS. Anything they get their hands on is messed up and fees are charged left and right.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    Here's another one. The AMC has a hut in Harriman State park in NY. However, no day hikers can go there, not even for lunch. They say to not use the trails to the hut and not use the lake. Only those paying can use the area, which are the rich ones. No wonder they call them the MONEY CHANGERS. Anything they get their hands on is messed up and fees are charged left and right.
    Money Changers?

That is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Money Changers?

That is ugly.
    the truth if often ugly

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    where in harriman state park exactly is this secret hut no one is allowed to go to?

Journal Entries
    Images

It’s not a hut, but rather an expansive site within Harriman State Park with many cabins and campsites, which is better suited to groups than individual hikers.

Day use access is very different from other AMC operated destinatios, which they explain on their web site. There are a wide range of camping options. You can rent a campsite with tent platforms for $30, or private cabin with private bathroom for $150 or so or a lean to — or a large private cabin with multiple bunk rooms for much more (many options).

They do not waive the $30 fee for those who cannot afford it, and in fact charge $36 if you are not a paid member. Good new is that charge gets you 4 tent platforms so you could split that cost among 4 people — or more of some are sharing a tent.

The AMC’s website is www.outdoors.org

From that site:

AMC’s Harriman Outdoor Center is operated under a long term lease from the Palisades Interstate Park Commission (PIPC). As a result, AMC is bound by the rules set by PIPC regarding trail access into Harriman Outdoor Center and swimming in Breakneck Pond. In particular, AMC is bound by rules pertaining to water safety and use of the dock and swimming area at the Harriman Outdoor Center.
    Because of rules set by PIPC, hikers and other day users should stay on official trails and not use the network of informal, unofficial trails leading into the Harriman Outdoor Center. In addition, hikers and day users should not swim in Breakneck Pond. Use of Harriman Outdoor Center, including the driveway, parking, waterfront/dock area, and informal trails near the Harriman Outdoor Center Center are limited to registered guests and program participants. The public is welcome to enjoy Harriman Outdoor Center as overnight guests and program participants. All AMC lodges, huts, and programs are open to the general public with an advance reservation, and membership is not required.
    Individuals who wish to visit Harriman Outdoor Center as part of planning a future stay are welcome to visit by prior arrangement. Please call AMC Group Sales at 603-466-8059.

Last edited by rickb; 02-13-2019 at 03:16.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    It’s not a hut, but rather an expansive site within Harriman State Park with many cabins and campsites, which is better suited to groups than individual hikers.

Day use access is very different from other AMC operated destinatios, which they explain on their web site. There are a wide range of camping options. You can rent a campsite with tent platforms for $30, or private cabin with private bathroom for $150 or so or a lean to — or a large private cabin with multiple bunk rooms for much more (many options).

They do not waive the $30 fee for those who cannot afford it, and in fact charge $36 if you are not a paid member. Good new is that charge gets you 4 tent platforms so you could split that cost among 4 people — or more of some are sharing a tent.

The AMC’s website is www.outdoors.org

From that site:

AMC’s Harriman Outdoor Center is operated under a long term lease from the Palisades Interstate Park Commission (PIPC). As a result, AMC is bound by the rules set by PIPC regarding trail access into Harriman Outdoor Center and swimming in Breakneck Pond. In particular, AMC is bound by rules pertaining to water safety and use of the dock and swimming area at the Harriman Outdoor Center.
    Because of rules set by PIPC, hikers and other day users should stay on official trails and not use the network of informal, unofficial trails leading into the Harriman Outdoor Center. In addition, hikers and day users should not swim in Breakneck Pond. Use of Harriman Outdoor Center, including the driveway, parking, waterfront/dock area, and informal trails near the Harriman Outdoor Center Center are limited to registered guests and program participants. The public is welcome to enjoy Harriman Outdoor Center as overnight guests and program participants. All AMC lodges, huts, and programs are open to the general public with an advance reservation, and membership is not required.
    Individuals who wish to visit Harriman Outdoor Center as part of planning a future stay are welcome to visit by prior arrangement. Please call AMC Group Sales at 603-466-8059.

ahh ok. theres several such sites within harriman state park, i didnt realize AMC had one of them, and there are certainly others not ran by the AMC that are just as private.

this idea of "people who don't pay aren't allowed to swim" is illuminating i think.

there is no swimming in any body of water in harriman state park, except for designated beaches where and when a lifeguarded is posted.

to swim at one of these beaches while a lifeguard is present you have to pay. everyone does. theres no legal free swimming in harriman state park.

with that knowledge in mind its hard to argue that amc is doing something exclusionary but not allowing people who havent paid to just show up and go swimming.

use of the trails is perhaps a different question, but do these trails really go anywhere besides to and from the facility and around the different parts of the facility? i dont know for sure, but i kind of doubt it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    with that knowledge in mind its hard to argue that amc is doing something exclusionary but not allowing people who havent paid to just show up and go swimming.
    By definition, I guess you are correct. Not in spirit, though.

A non AMC member can rent a campsite with 4 tent platforms for his group at a total cost of $36 per night. This $36 will allow his party the same access to free canoes, kayaks, and common areas, as life member of the AMC would enjoy (but at $6 more cost).

The AMC does ask everyone visiting to have reservations, however. The AMC website states that restrestricting access to those actually staying there was a Park requirement, but who knows.

This is NOT on the AT, and is used as an outdoor destination for groups of all kind.

Here is a map to the Center and surrounding accommodations. They have additional walk-in sites farther out.

AF6F29FB-EBFB-41F4-8960-88031C9CF87B.png

Kind of a simple solution, if you don't want to stay at a hut costing money, don't.

The AMC has a hut near Bear Mountain / Sages Ravine in CT off the AT you have to make reservations for

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    The AMC has a hut near Bear Mountain / Sages Ravine in CT off the AT you have to make reservations for
    I have stayed there with a Pal that has a group that gets it a weekend in November. It is in a nice spot for lots of day hikes.

++ New Posts ++