WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Coosa Backcountry Trail Parking

Any gaps or road crossing suitable to leave a car for 1 night? Other than Vogel State Park, which is $5 if I’m not mistaken. Correct me if I’m wrong on that.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

If you are hiking the trail, you need to get a free permit at the state park. If you are just looking for a place to camp out, I'm not sure if that applies or not. If not, there are a couple places to check out. The trail crosses Hwy 180 at 2 places where there is parking. One place is Wolfpen Gap. The other is between Wolfpen Gap and the state park.

Pay the $5 parking fee at Vogel, your car will be safer there than parked on the side of the road. Yes you can park at the other roadside trailheads.

I personally wouldnt leave my car unattended overnight at Wolfpen gap. Theres one other road crossing that the Coosa crosses. Again not sure if I would leave my car there...

Just pay the $5 and support your State Park

Appreciate the advice, folks. I am planning to hike the trail, skater. Either as a dayhike or an overnighter with my dog who's not built for big miles
    Last edited by Slugg; 02-11-2019 at 11:51.
    Appalachian Trail ‘16-
    678/2198
    Pinhoti Trail ‘17-‘20
    321/321
    Benton MacKaye Trail ‘17-‘21
    286/286
    Bartram Trail ‘22
    116/116
    Foothills Trail ‘21
    78/78
    Palmetto Trail ‘22-
    22/380

I would suggest hiking counter clock-wise.

hiking clock-wise would provide you with one of the toughest climbs in Ga right off the bat (imo)

I parked at Vogel.They cautioned me to be out of the "helicopter zone" which is marked in the parking lot.If you want to do it in two days then camping in the vicinity of Calf Stomp Gap there's a couple of good places not far from water.You should be able to see the water from the trail as I recall.When we were there someone had left a 45 pound barbell at the campsite we used;hence it is now known as Camp Barbell..........(to those of us who saw it as it has since been removed....)

++ New Posts ++