WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Milk

Images

Actually, the answer to all three questions is yes. Works either way. Without the milk, you'd lose some calories and fats; the nutritional data on the package includes milk. But it still works. Easiest is to put the milk and packet into the pot and add water, then add heat. Be sure to stir from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    BTW, long before I heard about Nido, the trick was to add powdered dairy creamer to Carnation powdered milk. Coffee creamer is basically spray dried encapsulated fat with some flavoring and does improve the taste of carnation which is fat free. Nido is just carnation with some spray dried fat added to it. My old go to evening sugar buzz when section hiking was a premixed half a pouch of jello instant pudding with carnation and couple of spoons of coffee creamer, just add water, knead it and in a few minutes bite off a corner of the ziplock and squeeze it into my mouth. I do not drink coffee and still have the original container of coffee creamer. I bought around the year 2001, I keep it dry and its still tastes fine.

I remember encountering a pack of thru hikers in Maine one year that took great joy in buying captain crunch or other kids cereal in town and having a big bowl of cereal with Nido every morning. They started it in VT and were doing it to just change things up as 3 or 4 months of the same menu was getting old. The cereal takes up a lot of room but by then their packs were pretty empty.
    I saw a bunch of people enjoying cereal on trail lol. My go to trail breakfast now is granola with some variety in it and milk. Allthough for weekend trips I started packing cereals too. Excellent on trail. Ive got freeze dried fruit that ill add to my granola. Some shredded coconut. Etc

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Nido is just carnation with some spray dried fat added to it.
    Perhaps, but I believe Nido is whole milk that is dehydrated, instead of dehydrated skim milk. I understand Nido is ‘the real thing’, not a concoction.

BTW, I’ve got a ziplock of Nido that’s three year’s old that found in an old resupply food bag. I tested it and it still tastes fine. (I did throw the full contents of that bag out, but the takeaway for me is that Nido seems remarkably stable.

I combine Nido into my DIY granola, and then add several sleeves of instant coffee and water for my trail breakfast.

I carry a small nalgene bottle of Nido for adding to soups, tea, coffee, etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

I prepackaged NIDO with oatmeal, mashed potatoes or instant pudding in ziplocks and haven’t had any problems with freshness.

I just cannot mix NIDO with cereal ( typically Cheerios, they were good enough for the Lone Ranger, they’re good enough for me ) and pour water over it. I have to rehydrate the NIDO and then pour it over the cereal.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Cheerios, it's a Pittsburgh thing. Plus I still have one of my silver bullets.

Images

I can see how pre-mixing Nido with soft cereals like Cheerios would be a problem.... it would be a mush before you could eat it. We pre-mix all the time with a heartier, coarser granola type cereal and that works great.

Good to see Nido is in stores back east! I certainly could not find it in the southeast, I guess I didn't look hard enough.

It's easy to find in the Roanoke area. Not sure how far south you have to go before it becomes a problem.

[QUOTE=CalebJ;2252376]It's easy to find in the Roanoke area. Not suTre how far south you have to go before it becomes a problem

It is available in Florida at Walmarts
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Walmart changes their local inventory to meet the demand. if there is local central American population I expect they will stock it. Our local Walmart stocks up on Mexican staples when there are large transient immigrant workforces in the area. I have never seen Nido on the shelf at the local Walmart but then again my #10 tin can (from Amazon) has lasted me a few years so I don't look for it.

Nido and other brands of powdered milk are available in south Mississippi Walmarts. They have been available for years possibly because they are a important component of hurricane preparedness. Sometimes Walmart puts things in odd locations so you may have to search to find them or ask if you can find an employee. Hike on!

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    So a milk in recipe question...

When cooking at home some of the Knorr packets I use call for milk. Do I just mix up some powdered milk with water and add to the packet? Can I just put the powdered milk straight into the packet and add water to the whole mixture? Do I just skip the milk and simply reconstitute with water only?

Don't need milk/cream for my coffee as I drink it black.
    One thing to think about is that you may need to add a bit extra water (since the original is expecting both the water and milk to be liquids). You might still go a bit less than the total of water and milk, though, as the majority of those done at home seem to wind up with the "sauce" being on the thin side.

My go-to breakfast: 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Swiss Muesli, about 1/2 handful of Craisins, 2 heaping tablespoons of Nido, dash of cinnamon, 3/4 cup boiling water

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++