WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Socks

Question Socks

Hoe many pairs of sock do you wear in trail runners for long distance hiking ?

At one time?
    I wear one pair of Darn Tough ankle high wool running socks. I carry a spare pair for hiking and a pair of Darn Tough AT logo crew hiker wool socks for sleeping, emergency hiking and mittens if needed.
    Wayne

Leonidas

I generally use a Injinji liner sock with a Darn Tough boot sock over the top. No blisters on 30+ mile days.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

One pr thin unpadded socks on feet
    Another pr to change into when they get dirty

Out west, dry and dusty, changing socks can be daily

On at...ive worn the same socks without removing for a week.

One pair of DTs. Carry another pair to switch out on any trip over two days, and a pair of sleep socks

I am not sure what the OP means in the question. Are they asking how many socks on each foot while hiking in trail runners, or how many socks should they bring for an LD hike?

I presume the question is about how many socks on each foot while wearing trail runners, which for me the answer is the same number of socks per shoe when wearing running shoes. For me, thats one pair of Smartwool socks (usually PhDs). If a second pair of socks is necessary to get the shoe to fit, there may be a size issue (too large) that should be investigated. Two socks needed for cushioning the bottom of the shoe may find inserts to be the better solution. To avoid blisters, some people will use a light poly or nylon liner sock with a light running sock, however I have found changing the lacing patterns to be key for blistering.

As far as how many socks to bring, I will usually have three pairs of socks, two for trail hiking and one for the tent.

Thank you all for the input . My original post was aimed at if there was to be a light weight liner sock under my hiking socks . I have always worn hiking boots but want to try the trail runners for the lighter weight . Traveler , in what way do you change the lacing pattern ? Thx Gonzo

Quote Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
    Thank you all for the input . My original post was aimed at if there was to be a light weight liner sock under my hiking socks . I have always worn hiking boots but want to try the trail runners for the lighter weight . Traveler , in what way do you change the lacing pattern ? Thx Gonzo
    I answered your question and the one you didn’t ask.
    A word about Darn Tough socks:
    When someone says “I hike in Darn Tough socks” is like saying “I drive a Chevy”
    I own 6-7 pairs of DT wool socks. The ankle height running socks are the lightest. The AT Logo Crew cushioned Hiker socks are the heaviest. In between are the cold weather cycling/running socks and the light crew cushioned hikers.
    Darn Tough labels their socks pretty well. Once you figure out the code you can get the socks you need for different purposes.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
    Not knowing if you have an issue with your feet. if you google "Hiking shoe lacing patterns" you will find a huge amount of information on lacing techniques that stop heel blisters, toe issues, and other issues.

No liners for me. Wool ankle socks. Adding gaiters to the mix to keep out the trailcrud debris

++ New Posts ++