WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    ...my upper limit that I will drive will be Bland, VA.
    That sounds as exciting as my regular trips out to Boring, OR.

Trust me since I did the entire AT by driving from the whites in NH I have a lot of experience on this. if you plan to drive north you need a very good plan to avoid I95 corridor along the coast . Best way is get on I81 and head north to Scranton PA and then head east on I84. You are roughly paralleling the AT. Take I 84 to the westerly border of CT and then head north on RT 7 for the AT in CT Mass and VT or keep going to Hartford and take I 91 north that then lines you up for Mass, NH and Maine.

Heading any closer to NYC or the coast is invitation for major time loss due to traffic. I used to head down after work on Fridays and drive until around 1 PM, stop at hotel somewhere in PA and then get up early and head south. I could be in the smokies around 10 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Trust me since I did the entire AT by driving from the whites in NH I have a lot of experience on this. if you plan to drive north you need a very good plan to avoid I95 corridor along the coast . Best way is get on I81 and head north to Scranton PA and then head east on I84. You are roughly paralleling the AT. Take I 84 to the westerly border of CT and then head north on RT 7 for the AT in CT Mass and VT or keep going to Hartford and take I 91 north that then lines you up for Mass, NH and Maine.

Heading any closer to NYC or the coast is invitation for major time loss due to traffic. I used to head down after work on Fridays and drive until around 1 PM, stop at hotel somewhere in PA and then get up early and head south. I could be in the smokies around 10 AM.
    why would anyone think of taking 95? even from the metro NYC area that isnt how you get to the green or white mountains. only when you start to get to say rangelely is it something one would even contemplate doing even if there were no traffic

Far better going across I 84 to 91 and then the mass pike to 495 and then finally pick up I 95 north of Boston.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Far better going across I 84 to 91 and then the mass pike to 495 and then finally pick up I 95 north of Boston.
    from the NYC area to Gorham, lets say, theres about 10 different ways to go. none of them involve I-95, even if its the dead of night or just after the apocalypse and traffic is a non issue.

i suppose its a common mistake for people not from the area to make. 95 is the most major "north south" highway but its the coastal highway (and in new england is running more east-west). its for going to new haven, new london, providence, new bedford, boston, salem, hampton beach, portland, etc. it doesnt go anywhere near the mountains until you are very far into Maine. one small exception some people are occasionally inclined to make is taking it from westchester county to new haven if you're going to somewhere near hanover, but thats just a small segment. 40 miles or so.

the highways to the mountains are the ones you name, but this is objectively true, not just the way you go to avoid traffic. the question of whether one should take or avoid 95 because of traffic considerations doesnt factor in for getting nearly all of the trail in new england.

the route you describe- I-84 to 91 to MA pike etc stops at 93 (there may be another road you are on briefly you didnt mention) to get to the whites and western ME. 95 isnt involved.

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 6.42.21 PM.png

I 95 north of Boston is for Maine. Far faster to go up I 95 to Portland the up to Bethel and Grafton Notch then I 93 or RT 16 to get to Western Maine.

Images

Wow, didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion of driving routes. I honestly haven't thought much about how to get to the AT north of PA.

US Hwy 15 basically goes straight from Durham, NC to Duncannon, PA. It's 55 mph with a few slower parts through towns. It's a scenic country drive the whole way, which is why I like it, even if it takes a little longer.
    It's all good in the woods.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Not everyone can manage a trip of more than a week. My husband has a business to run, and our longest trip has been 12 days, including travel.
    And yet, some would say that puts you in total control.
    Its your choice not to.

In europe, its very common for businesses to shutdown for a month while owners go on holiday. My time working in france, impressed on me...americans work too hard, and enjoy life too little.

Americans own houses and yards and spend most of free time and $ taking care of them. Europeans live in apartments, and on weekends load their tiny cars to the gills and go places. They also are willing to totally shutdown their busineess for a month each year. Never seen that here.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-14-2019 at 12:36.

I live in Duncannon PA and do shuttles. Harrisburg International airport in Middletown closest airport to trail here. Also in Harrisburg Bus and train station.

Join ALDHA; receive Directory with membership. all ALDHA members listed there. Search by trail name, real name, or state they live. You may find a traveling/hiking companion there. ALDHA.org

Harrisburg international airport (although it's name it's actually in Middletown!), train & bus station in Harrisburg, Megabus in Harrisburg at a mall. All close to trail town Duncannon PA. My phone is 717-834-4706 for shuttles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++