WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Will Kelty Yukon pack fit Trekker frame?

Frame is a size 3 if that matters.
    I picked up a trekker frame, I really like the way it feels. Now I need a pack for it. I found a Yukon for a good price and want to know if this combo will work. I don't really need the full 65 ltr trekker pack.
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

My guess is they're close enough that if it doesn't fit directly it wouldn't take much modification to make it fit.

Trekker
    Volume: 3950 in3 / 65 L•Frame Type: External
    •Weight: 5 lbs 5 oz / 2.4 kg
    •Torso Fit Range: 16 - 22 in / 41 - 56 cm
    •Dimensions: 29 x 22.5 x 13 in / 74 x 57 x 33 cm

Yukon
    Volume: 2900 in3 / 48 L
    ◦Frame Type: External
    ◦Weight: 5 lbs 1 oz / 2.3 kg
    ◦Torso Fit Range: 13 - 19 in / 33 - 48 cm
    ◦Dimensions: 22.5 x 23 x 11 in / 57 x 58 x 28 cm

kelty comparison.jpg

Might depend on which generation Trekker frame and which generation Yukon bag you have. There's a PDF user manual for Kelty External frames available online (perhaps in the kelty user manual archives) which shows the reverse of frame/pack combination in perrymk's post above. In other words, that guide has the Trekker with the "V" supports in the upper part of the frame, and the Yukon without them:

Kelty EF UM Cover.jpg

However, I believe the current Trekker model does not have that "V", and in fact, shares its frame with the Tioga 5500 sold through Backcountry Edge (the main difference being a smaller packbag).

My Trekker does not have the V upper. Guess it is time to look for some manuals..

Images

I take it that you have a frame without a pack bag and are searching for a pack bag to complete the combination. Not just swapping pack bags.

I don't have a Kelty external frame pack, although I use a Kelty hip belt on my 70's vintage Trailwise pack. I have used and studied other external frame packs in the past, Camptrails, Sears and Jansport.

Most all of the pack bags mount to the frame in the same manner. Usually they are attached by clevis pins that go through holes in a lip of fabric of the pack bag that also go through holes in the frame. Trailwise used treaded inserts. Most all have three holes per side.

I would think that the most critical dimension would be the width of the pack bag. If too narrow it would not be possible to stretch the fabric to line up the holes. If too wide the pack bag might hang loosely.

The other dimension to consider is if the holes in the pack bag line up vertically. Most are reinforced with rivets so moving the rivets probably isn't practical. One option would be to drill additional holes in the frame to line up with the mounting holes in the pack bag. This might weaken the frame some what but if the hole is made as small as possible to fit the clevis pin it may not be a problem. You probably would need no more than two additional holes per side since you would use the existing top hole.

The image perrymk posted is very helpful but not to scale I think.

Another option might be a custom pack bag made from a more modern light weight material.

Call Kelty. Chances are good that they know.
    Looking at the color photos above, the clevis pins are visible and appear to have the same vertical spacing on both packs. Frame width would be the main limitation.
    Wayne

From what I have been able to find out it looks like most of the most of the measurements will be the same or maybe slightly off. Close enough I ordered the pack. Hopefully I will be able to see if it fits in a week or so.
    I have no problem drilling the frame if needed, afterall the first hole is the weak link, after that it won't make a big difference. Adding new holes/grommets in the bag should be a big thing either. The width is the big question, hard for me to widen a bag. Too wide and it just fits loose. I will post an update once I find out.
    Thanks again everyone, this is the sort of challenge I find interesting and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    The width is the big question, hard for me to widen a bag. Too wide and it just fits loose.
    To widen a bag, tie some 550 cord from the grommet to the hole. The thought of getting a custom bag is pretty good also. I'm 90% that it will fit without modification. I'm also 90% that the Yukon frame is similar enough that you might want to stick with that pack instead.

I never could see a difference between the Camp Trails and Kelty frames when a buddy and I went hiking years ago and had them sitting side by side. If there is a difference it isn't much. Except for length, my various Camp Trails frames are basically the same.

Well the width is dead on but the second grommet is about 2" too high to match up with hole in the frame. Top grommet/hole is perfect. I don't think there will be too much stress on the top grommet if I just use it. Instead I did use paracord to tie the second grommet to the frame. The final attachment is a pair of velcro'd strap simply to keep the bottom of the pack from flopping around.
    This combination leaves a lot of open frame area under the pack. Would work very good for sleeping bags, mats or for GSMNP, a big bear canister to be lashed on.
    Resized_20190213_155304_8646.jpeg
    Last edited by GaryM; 02-13-2019 at 17:10.

Kudos! Frame looks minty fresh. Might want to burn the ends of the paracord to stop the fraying.

If you end up having any issues with the paracord (loosening of the knot, stretching of the cord, etc) you could also consider using plastic zip ties.

One could also inexpensively buy a grommet kit and add a grommet to the pack that would line up with the frame's pin.

What will you do with the pack/bag combo in terms of hydration setup? I sure wish Kelty included water bottle pockets within reach with those externals (as well as a pocket or two on the hip belt).

Cable ties sound like a good idea, think I will try that.
    I use a 1ltr Nalgene bottle and it fits in the top right pocket. I think I could put a bladder in the top cover flap pocket if I wanted to. Might even get a bladder to fit where I carry the bottle at now.

I'm thinking of ordering one of these containers, they're spacious and fit in my backpack. I had a few dangerous moments, but I managed to outwit the animals. Many say that dangerous situations can be avoided with these canisters.

++ New Posts ++