WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Aid

Honey double-used, you mean, applying it to a burn, and later lick your wound? <G>
    Honestly, I belive in such methods (applying honey), many times being better than standard medicine.
    Even just licking wounds works, on smaller ones.

Right now I'm in the process of preparing my gear for a long desert hike, and as my favorite good-for-everything medicine I'll take a small bottle of selfmade Arnica Montana tincture.
    Works perfect as desinfect on open wounds, rashes, Herpes-like infections, as well as cooling and pain releaving on sprains and lumps.

I'll carry strong Antibiotics and pain killers too, but guess (hope) will never use them.

Arnica is amazing stuff. I forgot all about it.
    When I did my first (and only completed) 100 mile race at Leadville in 2001, my coach put some arnica on my legs at mile 65.
    Wow, did it rejuvenate me.
    I said: "What is that stuff, it feels like I have new legs"
    I've seen it sold as "Bruise sticks" too.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Arnica is amazing stuff. I forgot all about it.
    When I did my first (and only completed) 100 mile race at Leadville in 2001, my coach put some arnica on my legs at mile 65.
    Wow, did it rejuvenate me.
    I said: "What is that stuff, it feels like I have new legs"
    I've seen it sold as "Bruise sticks" too.
    Alway understood a lot of runners partook of "medicine" around mile 65 to quell nausea.

A few partake the whole race

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Training trumps the kit all the time. What you carry is useless if you panic in an emergency.

I don't have much of a first aid kit, just a snack-sized bag with a couple of bandaids, some cloth tape, and a tube of triple antibiotic. Elsewhere in my pack I have a bandanna, duct tape, tweezers, razor blade, sewing kit, safety pins, dental floss, paracord, sleeping bag and dry clothing (hypothermia), sleeping pad and poles (for splints), water (heat injuries).

Your skin is your largest organ, and typically needs the most care on a hike. Your first aid kit will probably be mostly oriented to skin injuries.
    Good pt. It applies to many situations. Off topic, it may seem, but I see those lacking knowledge of fundamental backpacking topics every hike i.e.; lighting a fire without matches or a lighter, how to increase odds of getting rescued or survive multiple days in varied environments, pre hike preparation, apparel layering, CS selection, personal hydration and nutritional requirements, appropriate footwear, how to deal with different environments(below zero, 100+ desert, jungles, high elev, etc). Everyone is ignorant to some extent about something but when one clings to their ignorance - ignorant of being ignorant - that's the root of problems. We often assume we know more than we do. Expanding skills and knowledge in these areas has greatly influenced my FAK's or if I even take what might be called a FAK.

I started with several survival courses over the yrs. Some included improvising gear and found materials in FA situations. Along the way took a basic first aid course. Took a basic wilderness first aid course after that. Took advanced wilderness FA later. I did this because I was mostly soloing at the time, still do, and realistically, with high odds, could have wound up dead several times rather than be inconvenienced. Went on to become a First Responder although certification has lapsed. This has assisted immensely in paring down FAK's on many occasions. BTW, I have different FAKs depending on the hike. I took this route because I tend to solo backpack often remotely, and guide. It has enabled a much larger field of possible outdoor careers or jobs.

Without at least some training a hiking FAK and gear isn't optimally utilized. I refer to skill sets, knowledge, and wisdom often for that reason. Personally, so no one gets my intentions twisted, I will always be lacking somewhere in my skill sets, knowledge, and hiking wisdom; it's a path always under construction until that fateful day.

Several threads on WB concerning what folks take in their AT FAK. Some excellent posts in those threads so no need to regurgitate.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ...Expanding skills and knowledge in these areas has greatly influenced my FAK's or if I even take what might be called a FAK.
    Quite true. In many cases I feel it's safe to omit one or more of the ten essentials.

First aid is a volatile skill. That's why the pros have constant recertifications and continuing education requirements. For instance, I was an active volunteer firefighter when AEDs first came out. The early protocols in my district called for quarterly recerts. It has since relaxed a bit, I hear, but it illustrates the need for constant training. Medical/rescue training was two evenings a month for us, just to stay certified.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

See. Garlic is Garlic's FAK.

The pt being IMO a FAK includes tools. If one doesn't know how to apply those tools...? It's like carrying a compass and paper maps, GPS, PLB, an ice axe, minimalist tarp, etc and not understanding or practicing how to use them before hitting a hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not in any particular order:

Moleskin.

A couple relatively fresh 200mg Doxycycline pills.

Small loop (magnifying glass).

Special tweezers.

Ibuprofin.

A couple nips of cheep bourbon, or good tequila.

Here's what I carry for myself and occasionally 3 of my kids: 1/2 roll of athletic tape, Tums-12, Benedryl-9, Motrin-12, gauze pads-2, large band-aid-1, band-aids-8, antiseptic wipes-3, small triple antibiotic packet-2, GlacierGel dressing-1, sheets of moleskin-2

Every March the Cranbrook School in Michigan comes down to the TN/NC mountains with about 80 high school kids (and trip leaders) and pull a 10 day wilderness backpacking trip and the crew is broken up into 7 person groups. Each group carries a SAT phone to both connect to their basecamp and to anyone else they need. It's a good system I guess as they are willing to pay the satellite fee.

A good equivalent for a solo backpacker would be an ACR ResQLink locator beacon. In this case First Aid would be Extreme Need For Rescue Aid.

I have a first aid kit for my MSR stove (gaskets, O-rings etc), a first aid kit for my tent (pole repair sleeve, McNett's silnet sealer, ripstop patches), first aid kit for my pack (extra buckles esp hip belt buckle)---and a first aid kit for my body---as in below---

** Lip balm---always nice to carry and use.
    ** Eye sty cream---a little tube to soothe the eye if a bug gets in and won't come out---or other debris.
    ** The usual pain meds for a raging toothache etc.
    ** Neosporin type goop.
    ** Fabric bandaids---a couple large and several small.
    ** Dental crown glue---just in case a tooth crown pops off. It will happen.
    ** Ocean saline spray bottle to clean the sinuses daily.
    ** Hand sanitizer.
    ** StingKill swabs during yellow jacket season (seems like a good idea but so far don't seem to work---used when I got stung a couple times last year).

And Chadbrow reminds me of Tums and Benadryl. I carry several tums because my bean dinners often cause digestive problems---and maybe even explosive sharting. And the benadryl are carried as a sort of optimistic copperhead snake-bite remedy. Pop a few and see what happens. Better than nothing I guess.

Lots of good information here.Thanks for the burn med suggestions.I think my kit is adequate for the basics at about 4 oz plus a quart size zip lock to carry it in;total 4.4 ounces.

One thing I use for a double use item is isopropyl alcohol in a small pump bottle for lens cleaner.Works on glasses and cuts/scrapes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grau View Post
    What is a good first aid kit for backpacking?
    depends on where and when you are hiking and your experience level as well as personal medical "issues" if any.
    when I hike the AT I carry enough ibuprofen, allergy meds, and anti diarhea meds for about 2 days as I can usually get to a place to get a lift off trail within that time frame. I carry a couple "butterfly band aids" in case I get a deep cut and some perforated "med" tape plus moleskin. And usually a couple of regular band aids. And tweezers. I also carry a small pair of nail clippers to prevent issues with toe nails especially but also fingernails. I also carry a cap for my smart water bottles with holes in it in case I need to irrigate a "wound." Most everything else will be "make shift" in an emergency and getting to a trail head for assistance or worse case, waiting for someone to come to me to carry me off trail.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

To add to the above good ideas, mini tube of super glue or New Skin is handy for closing wounds and especially for painful cracks in fingers, etc.

Images

My first aid kit: ibuprofen, band aids, neosporin, moleskin.
    It's all good in the woods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++