WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GoPro

Default GoPro

Upcoming trip to GSM coming up, and a lot of hiking on the agenda. I’ve been toying with the idea of purchasing a GoPro, but I’ve no experience with them. Has anyone here used these? Thoughts? Opinions? Never hit the trail without one?

I appreciate all the input.

As someone who enjoys watching YouTube and hiking videos I find the ones using GoPros to be the toughest to watch due to the fish-eye effect/distortion of the picture around the edges, and I often turn them off because they screw with my vision. I understand why it happens and I'm not sure all GoPro models have the issue, and they were designed as an action camera rather than a slow-film camera where the distortion is much more noticeable.

Thank you for your opinion Dune.
    Anyone else?

We have one and use it on our outdoor adventures - the durability and compact design are worth the weight IMHO. Can clip it to any number of harnesses or other mounting options (handlebars, helmets, car, etc.) and get interesting POV shots.

I recommend finding some videos on YouTube of other hikers using it and seeing what you think. I had an older model GoPro and didn’t like the lack of stabilization; audio in the case was terrible so I ended up with a “naked” case which didn’t protect from water; and I found I rarely used it underwater so it didn’t really differ that much from my phones capabilities.

I have an SJCAM SJ4000, it's a cheaper version of the GoPro (about $50-$60 on Amazon). There are newer models of the SJCAM though, mine is a few years old so I'm sure they've gotten even better and model the GoPro's. Same size, functions, etc and you can even use the GoPro cases and accessories. Either one will work great though. Pics do have the fisheye effect, especially noticed when the cam is not in the case when taking pics (both GP and SJ). You can download fisheye correction apps though to help correct the problem (easy to do) for either the SJCAM or GoPro. Videos turn out great though and you can snag pics from the videos if you go frame by frame on the home computer. The cameras are both very light but when you add the clips and cases, that's where the weight will add up. Probably not more than any other type of camera though. Love mine, here's a link to one of my vids (not hiking related) where I strapped it to the top of my friends Jeep on a dry riverbed run, just to give you an idea. This was one of the 1st vids I edited (ever) so it's not great, but if I can do it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mS_dOoWJRo

Oh yea, audio is extremely poor when they're in the case. Unfortunately, you need the case to use the accessories (clips, straps, suction cups, etc...).
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    As someone who enjoys watching YouTube and hiking videos I find the ones using GoPros to be the toughest to watch due to the fish-eye effect/distortion of the picture around the edges, and I often turn them off because they screw with my vision. I understand why it happens and I'm not sure all GoPro models have the issue, and they were designed as an action camera rather than a slow-film camera where the distortion is much more noticeable.
    also a youtube watcher and agree
    the ones shot on gopro...not only bad picture but also audio is worse than folks using phones or cameras.
    I've never personally used one so really don't know why this is or if it's correctable

I also watch a lot of aviation videos and it seems, as far as I can tell, most of those are shot either with gopro or with a garmin device. In those cases they are great....since most of the audio is patched in through the radio and headsets with microphones. The image quality is good too since most of the subject matter is close to the camera....it's impossible though to see on the screen most of what they can clearly see with their eyes as they point it out to the camera... other aircraft in the air, and points of interest on the ground... far away stuff.

I would think it depends on your purpose. Maybe those issues are of no concern to your reason.

seems to me that gopro is best suited for applications that take advantage of their small size.... the ability to strap it on your head, forget about it, and then jump out of an airplane....or ski down a mountain.... or jump into the water....etc.

I have gopro hero 6, love it. There are a lot of settings that can help you get the effect you desire. The newer models have great motion compensation so you get good steady, smooth vids. I found that my mac was not up to task to edit the higher resolution videos so make sure you have that covered forbwhat you need.

If you already carry a cellphone, a GoPro is added weight for not much benefit, IMHO. What IS worth the extra weight is a 360 camera. The shots and videos you get from that are incredible.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I think I am going to go with the GoPro hero 7. But I am trying to determine now between the black and the silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince G View Post
    If you already carry a cellphone, a GoPro is added weight for not much benefit, IMHO. What IS worth the extra weight is a 360 camera. The shots and videos you get from that are incredible.

The big benefit is that you can set it up to be passively taking video mounted to you or your bike or whatever. It is very small and light and the video tech including motion stablizing is really amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince G View Post
    If you already carry a cellphone, a GoPro is added weight for not much benefit, IMHO.
    This is true! On my thru I was thinking about all the weight savings (yea, I was one those haha) and this was one of the main reasons I went cell phone only. The quality is still there (especially sound), pics, vids, etc... Now if you're into heavy videoing I'd say go for the SJ or GoPro but cell cameras have a come a long way. On my next thru I'll probably just use my cell again though. I'm not a heavy user anyway so battery life was not an issue. Another thing to ponder.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    This is true! On my thru I was thinking about all the weight savings (yea, I was one those haha) and this was one of the main reasons I went cell phone only. The quality is still there (especially sound), pics, vids, etc... Now if you're into heavy videoing I'd say go for the SJ or GoPro but cell cameras have a come a long way. On my next thru I'll probably just use my cell again though. I'm not a heavy user anyway so battery life was not an issue. Another thing to ponder.
    Check out the Insta360 OneX, it's lightweight, you can use it with a stick pin and the videos and pics you get are absolutely amazing. Definitely worth carrying, and I'm an extreme gram weenie. I don't even carry a stove anymore (most if the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I have gopro hero 6, love it. There are a lot of settings that can help you get the effect you desire. The newer models have great motion compensation so you get good steady, smooth vids. I found that my mac was not up to task to edit the higher resolution videos so make sure you have that covered forbwhat you need.
    Could you edit the GoPro footage on your phone? I can’t recall if this is possible or realistic.
    One nice thing about my iPhone is I’m able to shoot 4K and edit on the phone. And the rendering doesn’t take long.

Regarding editing the footage, you could get some sample clips to verify your machine has enough power. My old computer took forever.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by JosephDurham View Post
    Upcoming trip to GSM coming up, and a lot of hiking on the agenda. I’ve been toying with the idea of purchasing a GoPro, but I’ve no experience with them. Has anyone here used these? Thoughts? Opinions? Never hit the trail without one?

I just bought the GoPro7 Black for my AT Thru Hike. I purchased the 256kGig chip/Shoulder Pack harness and the selfie stick along with a screen protector. (I was not subsidized by GoPro but if they want to refund some of my price feel free to contact me lmao I have no shame)

Advantages over regular camera-

Weight/Size
    Time Lapse is pretty cool
    Stabilization is the best I have seen for videos
    WATERPROOF
    Great accessory like the selfiestick tripod / Shoulder harness so you have hands free operation
    Good online Apps like gopro +
    WATERPROOF/Submersible
    GoPro7 has corrected alot of the issues with prior GoPro's. Sound/picture quality

Cons
    $$
    Images are not as nice as a SLR but hey I am happy usually with phone pics and vids . Plus I cant see chit without my glasses

Granted I am a new user and still trying to figure out which button does what but so far I am happy that I got it as it looks like I will be able to use it for multiple other things.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephDurham View Post

My son used to take his gopro, and set it on time lapse so he took a picture every minute. The gopro would be on his packstrap. He got a few really interesting photos on a two day trip.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    My son used to take his gopro, and set it on time lapse so he took a picture every minute. The gopro would be on his packstrap. He got a few really interesting photos on a two day trip.
    That’s an awesome idea! You don’t happen to have any of those photos you could share with us do you?

Well, I went and did it. I just bought the GoPro hero 7 black. Should be here in a few days. After researching and watching all of the amazing videos I couldn’t pass it up. On our last trip to TN we took over 1000 photos. Now with all of the features of the GoPro, and fixing it to take time lapse photos, etc.......cannot wait.

Thank you to everyone that responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Could you edit the GoPro footage on your phone? I can’t recall if this is possible or realistic.
    One nice thing about my iPhone is I’m able to shoot 4K and edit on the phone. And the rendering doesn’t take long.
    You can edit GoPro footage on an iPhone.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++