WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 2012

Default Wantastiquet-Monadnock Trail

New 50 mile long trail from Monadnock west to Brattleboro VT. Anybody know anything about it? The part from Troy New Hampshire north is identical to the Monadnock Trail extension of the New England Trail...
    Lazarus

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    New 50 mile long trail from Monadnock west to Brattleboro VT. Anybody know anything about it? The part from Troy New Hampshire north is identical to the Monadnock Trail extension of the New England Trail...
    I put it on my to-do list last year after I hiked the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway. These two links have quite a bit of info. I think I'll tack a second circuit of the MSG when I do this - it was a real nice mellow hike.

https://forestsociety.org/wantastiquet-monadnock-trail
    https://www.chesterfieldoutdoors.com...dnock-greenway

looks interesting. I really liked the MSG. This new leg looks a bit challenging as a thru hike, no mention of potential camping spots. Fair amount of rail trail and private land crossing, maybe on snowmobile trail or old woods roads? The maps are pretty vague. I didn't read the second link yet. Could be worth taking a closer look. Might be able to do it as a long weekend (2 night, 3 day) trip if there are places to stay spaced about 17 miles apart.
    Time to drag out the NH gazette. 4 days would be a mellow pace. Wonder what the town of Troy has to offer?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

is there any long distance trails extending from Sunapee either north to the Whites or north/east towards ME? … I only did a brief search so far but looks like nothing to long but possibilities to connect shorter trail systems with some road walking... can't wait to do the Greenway, I actually just got my guide and super map in the mail today!
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    is there any long distance trails extending from Sunapee either north to the Whites or north/east towards ME? … I only did a brief search so far but looks like nothing to long but possibilities to connect shorter trail systems with some road walking... can't wait to do the Greenway, I actually just got my guide and super map in the mail today!
    In theory there is an extension of the MSG up towards Concord, but it's mostly, or all, on private land and there is no camping along it, so it all has to be done as day hikes. And yes, its a miss-mash of road walks and short trails.

IIRC, there's a website out there somewhere that has some more details like trail descriptions and camping options/regulations, I just can't remember where it is. If I find it again, I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Wonder what the town of Troy has to offer?
    A brewery, market& deli, and a pizza joint. What more could you want from a trail town!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    In theory there is an extension of the MSG up towards Concord, but it's mostly, or all, on private land and there is no camping along it, so it all has to be done as day hikes. And yes, its a miss-mash of road walks and short trails.
    Is there a particular name to this extension or place to look it up or is it pretty much researching what's around and connecting the dots yourself?
    I'm planning a future long distance hike around New England connecting several different trails but my plan is to do it all via human power. In places where no camping is allowed I'm looking for campgrounds with tent sites/hotels or any other legal means of shelter. If I can work that out along the extension towards Concord I would consider taking it. It doesn't look like this new trail will be part of the trip but it looks nice for a small trip sometime.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Is there a particular name to this extension or place to look it up or is it pretty much researching what's around and connecting the dots yourself?
    I'm planning a future long distance hike around New England connecting several different trails but my plan is to do it all via human power. In places where no camping is allowed I'm looking for campgrounds with tent sites/hotels or any other legal means of shelter. If I can work that out along the extension towards Concord I would consider taking it. It doesn't look like this new trail will be part of the trip but it looks nice for a small trip sometime.
    I really don't know much about it. Once I learned there wasn't any camping along the route, I lost interest.

Now that I look at the state map, I think that extension goes towards Lake Winnipesauke. The area between Sunapee and Winnipesauke is about as rural as it can get around here. You might find a B+B in one of the near-by towns. Unless you live there, there's really no reason to go there. If you live there, you probably commute to Concord or points south for work.

A friend of mine hiked the East Coast Greenway from Elis Maine nearly all the way to NYC. It's a multi-use rail trail for the most part which more or less follows the coast of Maine, cuts across SE NH into MA, crosses MA into CT and cuts across the state towards LI sound - and then all the way to Key West if your really ambitus. My friend had to call it quits at Waterbury, and since you probably know the city, you know why it was time to get out of there.

But that's a 600 mile walk from Elis to Waterbury. She said she spent a lot of nights camped in a cemetery. It's a quiet place off the road no one visits at night and there's no trouble finding a level spot to set up a tent.

I did a little research and made a few inquiries. There is one "official" overnight camp site, at the shelter just west of Pisgah State Park, it shows up on this map:
    https://forestsociety.org/sites/defa...boroPisgah.pdf

After that, there are hotels & motels in Keene (about another day's hike). Keene is a good size town with everything a hiker needs - groceries, breweries, pubs. Further down the trail is Troy, with another brewery.

About another day's hike from Keene will get you to Gap Mountain reserve - the Inn at East Hill Farm is about a mile off the trail, and there are signs from the trail.,

More camping spots are being negotiated.

I checked out all the preserves, state forests, state parks, etc. along the trail, and could not find specific prohibitions or permissions to camp.

Sure seems like this would be a nice trail to tack a few days on to either end of the MSG trail to make a nice weeklong trip.

Journal Entries

On Mt. Sunapee there is also Sunapee Ragged Kearsarge Greenway http://www.srkg.com/trails-guide-summary/ which is actually a 75-mile loop. Not sure if there is a way to connect to the Whites from there.

If you plan to hike Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway then you are welcome read a blog from my hike of MSG: https://hikingatsnailspace.blogspot....-greenway.html

++ New Posts ++