WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiahiker1784 View Post
    Is this natural they eat dead animals?
    I understand that the hired hunters & rangers who kill wild boar (a destructive invasive species) in the Park leave them for bears, etc. to eat.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I understand that the hired hunters & rangers who kill wild boar (a destructive invasive species) in the Park leave them for bears, etc. to eat.

That is true.....

as them hunters ain't dragging a heavy dead pig out....

Images

I've been told that if a horse breaks a leg in the backcountry it is put down then blown up with dynamite.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    I've been told that if a horse breaks a leg in the backcountry it is put down then blown up with dynamite.
    “You know, I’d pay ten bucks to see that.”- Jeff Foxworthy
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    That is true.....

Yeah, I was going to say...

They ain't intentionally trying to feed the bears, but there's nothing else they can really do with the carcass.

I read an article about these hunters some years ago... I think the interviewer was somewhat appalled when they learned they just dump the carcass and even asked if the pigs couldn't be used to feed the homeless or something. The hunter pointed out not only the difficulty and expense of getting the carcass back to the front country, but also pointed out the meat likely wouldn't pass FDA inspections (or something along those lines).

Images

It doesn't say it in what I posted above but the report states that drugs and syringes were found near the body...

and he had a history of using meth intravenously.....
    Drug addiction and abuse is a huge problem in our society. I didn't realize that meth was still a problem, that people were using pain pills . But maybe that is a different set of users ?

If the poacher was using an i.v. that might better explain an accidental overdose. I don't image there is much quality control in illegal drugs. No telling what is in the mix.

There hasn't been as much in the news about meth lab busts. Occasionally there are unexplained fires in unoccupied buildings.

As relates to hiking, especially in National Forest lands I would be extremely cautious of abandoned campsites due to possible toxic materials.

Images

I dont see the use of dynamite happening in the Park....

much too dangerous for the common use like this.....

the Park does use dynamite (or some other explosive) when they are doing trail work though...

it was used on alum cave for the rocks....

i have come across a few horse carcasses in the Park and they didn't look blown up to me....

one was basically the skeleton with a few scattered bones....

Images

Drug addiction and abuse is a huge problem in our society. I didn't realize that meth was still a problem, that people were using pain pills . But maybe that is a different set of users ?

If the poacher was using an i.v. that might better explain an accidental overdose. I don't image there is much quality control in illegal drugs. No telling what is in the mix.

There hasn't been as much in the news about meth lab busts. Occasionally there are unexplained fires in unoccupied buildings.

As relates to hiking, especially in National Forest lands I would be extremely cautious of abandoned campsites due to possible toxic materials.

Meth is always around in Appalachia....

same with pain pain pills and heroin...

there are still a few labs being busted every now and then in East Tennessee but most meth is getting shipped in nowadays.....

same with the heroin and fentanyl....

and yes---that's the pisser about illegal drugs---not sure what it really contains....

That is true.....

I read where they often hunt feral pigs at night, and the bears will come to the sound of gunfire because they have learned it often means a free meal. The bears even follow the night hunters. I think I read it in one of the “Bear in the Back Seat” books about experiences of rangers with bears in the park.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I read where they often hunt feral pigs at night, and the bears will come to the sound of gunfire because they have learned it often means a free meal. The bears even follow the night hunters. I think I read it in one of the “Bear in the Back Seat” books about experiences of rangers with bears in the park.

they do hunt at night since pigs are somewhat noturnal....

they also hunt in the day since pigs are also out during the day...

i read that book book and can't recall that but then again, I read the book years ago and can't remember anything else about it...

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    they do hunt at night since pigs are somewhat noturnal....

they also hunt in the day since pigs are also out during the day...

i read that book book and can't recall that but then again, I read the book years ago and can't remember anything else about it...
    I just did a search on my Kindle copy of “Bear In The Back Seat”, and the part about bears following hog hunters at night night looking for a free pork meal is in the chapter called “Bears In The Shadows”.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++