WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How to get home from Andover, ME?

I'm planning a SOBO section hike from Katahdin to Andover (ish). I want to do 200-250 miles. Is there transportation out of Andover? Bus? Train? I'd prefer to fly back to Texas, so maybe I could get a bus or train to Portland???

Thanks in advance!

Journal Entries

Shuttle.

To Gorham bus station or portland airport.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-03-2019 at 01:52.

It's pretty much a toss up, but they would probably rather shuttle to Gorham then Portland. Either way is a goodly distance. The problem with Gorham is there is only one bus a day, which leaves town at 7:50 am. So you'd have to arrive the day before. The Gorham bus will get you to Logan in time for an afternoon flight. You'd have to figure out if it would be more convenient to fly out of Portland.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

When do you plan to go?
    Shoestring
    http://www.trailjournals.com/joefryfry
    Finishing the AT sometime in 2037.

Andover is somewhat of a rural "bedroom community" for folks who work in Rumford or possibly Bethel. Not much local work so folks need to work elsewhere or be retired. Most folks in town head south on RT 5 in the morning and come back north on it in the PM. RT 5 intersects US Rt 2 which is major east west highway for the area. US RT 2 west goes through Bethel Maine and Gorham NH. Be careful as there is Gorham Maine not that far away so be careful when planning that you make sure folks understand that you want to go to Gorham NH. Gorham NH is the nearest bus station and as mentioned it does one trip a day in the early AM to Logan Airport and South Station in Boston which has train and bus connections to everywhere. The nearest airport is Portland Maine. Its about a 3.5 hour drive from Andover or 2.5 hour drive from Bethel using back roads. Note Portland is not very good for train connections as the trains north of Boston end up at North Station and you need to transfer to South Station via foot or public transit to head south. Far better off taking a bus from Portland to South Station and then getting on Amtrak.

The problem with Portland is there are no straight routes from Bethel to Portland. At best, someone hitching is going to have to get several hitches, on rural roads without a lot of traffic or take the long away around via RT 26 which still requires multiple hitches. There are several individuals that do shuttles between Gorham NH and Andover. If you do take the bus from Gorham its pretty well not a choice that you will be staying in motel or hostel in Gorham the night before as the bus leaves quite early in the AM. Its a good bus service with clean buses and a reliable schedule but realize that Boston traffic can still delay them. The buses stop at numerous locations along the route so its not the fastest route. Thus it comes down to time versus money.

Assuming one of the shuttle firms wants to go to Portland when you want to go (during hiker season they are quite busy and will need to fit it into other requests) you can get off the trail in Andover in the AM and be on a plane in Portland that afternoon. I do not know what the local services in Andover charges but the local firm in the Berlin/Gorham area charges $250 dollars from Gorham http://trailangelshikerservices.com/. I would expect it would be similar starting from Andover. Trail Angels charge $135 from Andover to Gorham assuming someone in Andover doesn't do it for less you can cover the cost for a night over in Gorham for the about the cost of getting shuttled to Portland. There is lot to be said for having a nights rest and shower before traveling home. Note Portland is an expensive place so if you end up needing to get a place to stay in Portland overnight plan on a lot more money and hassle as the airport is quite a distance from everything. Unless you want to visit in the Portland area which is nice place to visit, if you need to stay overnight you are far better heading to Gorham NH.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-03-2019 at 09:43.

Thanks guys! Sounds like a shuttle to Gorham, NH and then bus to Boston is the way to go. I appreciate all the info.! Especially with prices. Wow - $250!

Its about 130 miles from Andover to Portland and back. A buck a mile is usually a starting point so $250 is about right.

Keep in mind if you can find someone to share the ride the price goes way down.

++ New Posts ++