Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I think we have a mole.....
    Moles likely have even more calories than rats, we’re in the right direction!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Tipi, what are you doing online? We’re in the middle of a polar butthole, shouldn’t you be out enjoying the arctic weather?
    Just got back from 17 days in the previous Arctic Wrecktum (on January 20-21-22)---up on State Line Ridge on the BMT---

Trip 195 (179)-L.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Well said....As I put my pitchfork back in the barn....
    Does that mean we need to douse the torches too?
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I guess my dog isn’t very smart. I hid a mouse trap under the kitchen sink in the cabinet baited with cheese. It was behind a big box. Dori really likes cheese.

Yup. Two in the morning a god awful squeal, a very reproachful dog. Next morning a scurrying mousie. Cat unconcerned.

Those rat traps are really big and powerful. They could hurt another dog or a hiker. Harm a skunk or marmot. The mouse traps I can understand. Rat traps will break fingers and toes, knock out a dogs teeth. Please leave rat traps at home.

Some people think mice are rats, so maybe he was really thinking mouse trap. I have yet to see an actual rat on the AT. Couple of mice here and there, some are quite bold.

I got bit by a mouse trap once. Was set up along the edge of the wall on the upper bunk in a SNP hut. Brushed my arm along there and SNAP. I swore profusely.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Some people think mice are rats, so maybe he was really thinking mouse trap. I have yet to see an actual rat on the AT. Couple of mice here and there, some are quite bold.

I got bit by a mouse trap once. Was set up along the edge of the wall on the upper bunk in a SNP hut. Brushed my arm along there and SNAP. I swore profusely.
    I’ve definitely witnessed rats at shelter, but they have been few and far between. Certainly not enough of them to feed my dog.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I'd assume the most abundant rodent around AT shelters are mice. It can be difficult to turn a gung ho dog's hunting instinct off once it's turned especially if not field hunting dog trained to only go after rats and mice. I'd assume that same dog or dogs who hunt mice and rats would likely go after other wildlife possibly recklessly. Some folks bring along ferrets, cats, and even parrots on the AT. I've twice seen two different people with leashed pot bellied pigs on the AT. Some dog breeds are notorious for not getting along with other dogs or animals. And some dog breeds are very mouthy or alert or bark or are aggressive against anything including other humans. I say this not because I'm anti dog or anything like that, only because I've made the mistake of taking dogs on trail that were not always under my command and caused problems for others and wildlife.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++