WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Two Dogs - One Hiker

Hello everyone,

I absolutely love my dogs. One is a beagle named Bella, and her sister is a Choc lab named Maggie. I haven't had the dogs for two and a half years. When I broke up with my fiance, she kept the dogs (since she had the yard for them to run around in). They've always been considered my dogs. She now lives in an apartment, and wants me to take the dogs back. That's a little bit of bad timing, because I have my AT hike coming up in a few months. So, I've been considering taking my dogs with me.

Now, these dogs aren't trail trained. I have done extensive training on and off the leash with these dogs. When we walk the beach, I am able to send my lab off, and have her return just by voice commands. I know that the beach isn't the trail, and I know that I can see my dogs after the trail ...... I just know that I'll miss their company on the trail.

Dogs will inflate the difficulty and cost of the trip immensely. I have figured out a way to defer part of these costs. My idea was to hike with rat traps and peanut butter. I would set these traps up around shelters, in hopes of catching the "dogfood" that is scurrying around those areas. I thought that hikers would benefit from some rats being killed, but also from the companionship of these two animals (they're service animals and super sweet).

What do you all think? Bust or Must?

Once again....Had to check if this was in the humor section. Since you have posted this, I guess I have the right to respond with the assumption that you will accept the feedback. Short answer is its a bad idea. You can search the forums for all the reasons why a dog on a thru hike is a bad idea. Just take your situation and multiply it by 2.

The rat traps...Thank you for the laugh, that is a first for me to hear of intentions of carrying rodent traps up the trail in hopes of trapping rats to feed 2 dogs. FYI the shelters are full of mice that weigh .35 oz a piece. a lab needs about 3-4 cups a day which results in 23 ounces of dog food for 1 dog. (We will not use the beagle in this calculation). Therefore you will only need to trap 68 mice per day to suffice the dogs hunger. Not to mention the disease that would follow along the mice diet.

By the end of a 120 day thru hike you would have consumed 12189 mice (for both the lab and beagles needs).

Other fun facts - Dogs aren't allowed in the Smokies, or Baxter SP. So there is the need for boarding the dogs. (x2)

There aren't a whole lot of people that will want the companionship of 2 dirty stinky and or wet dogs. They aren't their dogs and they will probably dislike you. (This is only my opinion)

Have a great hike!

Disclaimer: Although you did not state you are attempting a thru hike, I am assuming you are. If you are talking about a weekend hike, go for it.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    Dogs will inflate the difficulty and cost of the trip immensely. I have figured out a way to defer part of these costs. My idea was to hike with rat traps and peanut butter. I would set these traps up around shelters, in hopes of catching the "dogfood" that is scurrying around those areas. I thought that hikers would benefit from some rats being killed, but also from the companionship of these two animals (they're service animals and super sweet).
    so do i have this wrong, or are you suggesting that you're going to feed the dogs rats and mice?

if i have that correct then i think you should definitely not take them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Disclaimer: Although you did not state you are attempting a thru hike, I am assuming you are. If you are talking about a weekend hike, go for it.
    including catching rats for food?

AT rules say you must have your dog(s) on leash at all times. Some comply - some don't. I have run into quite a few dogs on the trail. It seems they get territorial while out there and bark like crazy at me and other hikers if one gets too close. Have you tried your dogs on the trail to see if they exhibit that behavior?

You're kidding about feeding them mice and rats - right?

You can't go through the Smokies with dogs, so you'll have to find somewhere to keep them while you're in the park, which is usually six to eight days. And while you may find a motel or hostel that will accept one dog when you need a break from the trail, I think you will get a lot of rejections when you try to check in with two dogs.

I hiked with a young lady for a couple of days who had a dog, which was not trained on the trail. She got off the trail with her dog not more than two weeks into her through hike. That dog did not like hiking.
    Last edited by ldsailor; 02-02-2019 at 11:39.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    including catching rats for food?
    Absolutely lol I can only hope and pray that some day I can witness this walking down the trail.

Images

Now, these dogs aren't trail trained

this sums it up.....

leave the dogs at home...

and there is no way that one will catch enough food to feed two dogs on the trail......

The lab will stick around on the hike. The Beagle will absolutely disappear to hunt never to return. Over the years I see posts on trees by dog owners who canines have become lost. The dogs are coon dogs. Beagles are big time trackers. You will absolutely lose that dog. I used to have redbone hounds. They hunt. Owners put tracking collars on them.

Journal Entries

Trambo,
    You're still kinda new to WhiteBlaze. Be prepared for a potential deluge of negativity. Some of it will be justified. Some of it will be negativity for the sake of negativity. However the discussion goes, don't take it personally.

Gambit's response is really good. A few people thru-hike successfully with a dog, very few with two dogs. A thru-hike is physically hard on a dog.

Dogs need to be very well trained. Hikers are trying to cook (often on the ground) and eat. We're trying to stay as clean and dry as we can. We're far away from grocery stores, laundromats, and outfitters. If a dog knocks my food over, I don't eat. If he pees on or walks on my sleeping bag, I just have to sleep in it anyway. Some hikers have had bad experiences with dogs. They might react strongly if they encounter an unleashed "friendly" dog on the trail.

I think it's best if you can board them. If you choose to take them with you, please get a lot more educated about the responsibility you have as a dog owner. Best of luck to you.

I'll be nicer but agree that taking 2 dogs on a thru hike attempt is a bad ideal.

Hiking is challenging enough without a dog let alone two; especially considering they aren't trail trained.
    2189 or so miles to hike with 2 dogs leashed most of the time. I know the rules say all the time but I know there will be times you let them loose and honestly I don't care.

Have you considered the rougher parts of the trail where you need to pull yourself up with your arms?
    What about the parts where your dogs can't make it and you have to help them?

The picture of the ladder up the wall comes to mind as does the mile of boulders.

Accept you'll miss things on trail. There's so much to reconnect to. Adapting on a LD hike is necessary if you expect success. If you're not willing to do this don't attempt a LD hike. Having two non trail trained dogs will negatively impact not only you but other people, wildlife, and logistics.

Images

[QUOTE=ldsailor;2236132]AT rules say you must have your dog(s) on leash at all times. Some comply - some don't. I have run into quite a few dogs on the trail. It seems they get territorial while out there and bark like crazy at me and other hikers if one gets too close. Have you tried your dogs on the trail to see if they exhibit that behavior?

Not true. It is only a recommendation. But a good one. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...ilies-and-pets
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

[QUOTE=Old Hillwalker;2236144]
    Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    AT rules say you must have your dog(s) on leash at all times. Some comply - some don't. I have run into quite a few dogs on the trail. It seems they get territorial while out there and bark like crazy at me and other hikers if one gets too close. Have you tried your dogs on the trail to see if they exhibit that behavior?

Not true. It is only a recommendation. But a good one. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...ilies-and-pets
    For a variety of sound reasons it should be true.
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    What do you all think? Bust or Must?
    Please do not do this. The rats you are most likely to encounter along the trail are Eastern Woodrats, not the invasive Norway rats of cities. The eastern woodrat has been in decline because of the effects of man and I would count myself as lucky just to see one.

In fact the Allegheny Woodrat is protected as an endangered species in several of the states the AT passes through and I imagine the fines could be severe for killing an endangered species. Do the right thing, let the rats be.
    Last edited by imscotty; 01-30-2019 at 13:41.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Most counties in GA require a dog to be leashed when off your property and must remain under control of a competent person. A dog that runs off after or harasses wildlife is not a dog under control of a competent responsible owner. Two non trail trained dogs poses a greater risk of non compliance. Although VA doesn't have a uniform leash law there are two significant laws pertaining to dogs. One is that dogs can not be allowed to run at large off one's property. Two, when a dog is off one's property it is required to be leashed or otherwise restrained. This is NOT a part time when it suits one's fancy responsibility.

Unfortunately, in a trail setting some dog owners over estimate their abilities to always restrain their dogs always keeping it under command. This was me!

FWIW, I've had dogs that I missed when on a LD hike. I would have enjoyed having them along. BUT, the dogs weren't trained adequately and I wasn't trained adequately on how to always keep the dog under my command. Other dogs I have enjoyed on trail because I ALWAYS had adequate control. Having a dog on trail so that it doesn't negatively impact others is an added responsibility. Being responsible for a dog is NOT a part time responsibility.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Trambo,
    Some of it will be justified. Some of it will be negativity for the sake of negativity.
    did you miss the thing about the great rat hunt?

A friend of mine had a beagle. When it got loose it would disappear into the woods for days before finding it's way home again. If he sees a rabbit or chipmunk or pretty much anything else, he'll be off like a shot and may or may not return.

Taking a dog on a thru hike is a really bad idea, but people with dogs don't want to hear that and learn the hard way. One surprise is the dog needs to eat three what times it normally does. Do yourself and the dogs a favor and find good homes for them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

IMHO Bust, Its highly likely that if you start with two dogs that you will end your thru hike early. Then the dogs will not be an issue on the AT.

It would be easier to get back together with your ex fiance.

If you read the link, you will fnd that leashes are required on more than 40% of the trail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++