WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Yearly must haves?

Is there any particular publication that you always have to get every year? Data book? Thru hikers companion? Eat cetera

Journal Entries
    Images

Since you asked, I'll answer.

There's no publication I get EVERY year, but I do try to get an updated Data Book or Thru Hiker's Companion every FEW years. I wouldn't want to look forward to a stop at a visitor center because a book said The Trail went right by such a building, only to find out, about a mile past the point where that place was supposed to be, that The Trail had been re-routed away from that place.*

However, trails, junctions, shelters, camp-sites, etc, don't change THAT much year to year; so I feel no need to get any publication EVERY year.
    I do, however, perform an internet search for the important places I plan to use (shelters, hostels, stores) before planning a section hike. It'd be embarrassing to plan a stop at a hostel only to find it closed six months earlier!
    Also, if there has been a significant change in any aspect of The Trail, or if I find something that MIGHT be confusing to any subsequent hiker, I make certain to post that fact here on Whiteblaze.
    For example https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...t=#post2217117

* Yes, this did happen to me one time! My ten-year-old map was just plain wrong!!

Images

You can get last years copy of Whiteblaze pages (on the home page here) for 50 cents plus around $2.50 shipping. Probably fine for several years. The AT is pretty well marked/blazed for its entire length. Yeah, there can be some reroutes, but temporary ones won't necessarily be in a guide anyway - they'll be posted at trail heads and via signs etc. Some trail business close and open, but most have been around a while. Largely, the trail stays the same.

But, if I were thru-hiking, I would want to have the current year's edition of whichever guide I chose to use just to be as informed as possible especially regarding hostels and shuttles.

I hiked years and years ago, and the only book I got was the small, 4x6" or so Appalachian Trail Data book. I think it's got a color cover these days.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

My only yearly must have is a Lyme test for me and the dogs.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I use the AWOL AT Guide for 2-3 years before getting a new one. I also use the Guthook app, which is constantly updated, so the trail info is always current. I like the AT Guide town info better, which is why I still buy it.

A free tent from REI !!! This is not by design, but every year when the dividends come in I find myself acquiring yet another hopefully-the-best-and-last-one 1 or 2 person tent that they've marked down so much that I get it free. I've acquired 4 so far and given all but one away. So I guess the one thing I get every year is an opportunity to be a belated Santa Claus

(It looks like it will be the Nemo Hornet 2 this year)
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Good responses.

++ New Posts ++