WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was just a few hours into my first hike when I slipped on a wet rock. As I was suspended in mid air with my feet over my head for a fraction of a second on the way to the ground, a whole train of thoughts we through my head. One of those was "I hope no one is around to see this. That would be embarrassing.".

Embarrassing or not, I'll bet it was a painful journey out with each jarring movement.

Clearly a collage education is advisable given professionals recognize this as the top 3,406th most dangerous activity one can engage in.

Images

My only fall on my last section hike? On flat, easy trail, 10 feet from a busy highway crossing, next to a trailhead parking lot where a bunch of day hikers saw it happen. Looked up too early to start watching for a break in the traffic, tripped over the one root on the trail, and fell straight forward into a mud puddle.
    It's all good in the woods.

A fall in mud? This short video is the king (or should I say queen) of all embarrassing falls.

Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Journal Entries

Back in 2016 I was stepping down those small wooden footholds from the upper level of the Fontana Hilton and fell hard on my ass. Very lucky I didn't break anything...

Images

For those of you that say "he just fell out of bed", I'll bet most on here don't realize that some of the huts have bunks built five high. A fall from the topmost bunk could be pretty severe. A 12 foot fall if you roll off in the middle of the night in an unheated, unlighted bunkroom. Just think about it.

2004-05-14p-Hut Bunk Room.jpg
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    For those of you that say "he just fell out of bed", I'll bet most on here don't realize that some of the huts have bunks built five high. A fall from the topmost bunk could be pretty severe. A 12 foot fall if you roll off in the middle of the night in an unheated, unlighted bunkroom. Just think about it.

Indeed. Not unreasonable if one is accustomed to sleeping in a bed 30"-34" off the floor getting out of bed and expecting the floor to be there for support. Then, suddenly it's not because you momentarily forgot where you were.

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    A fall in mud? This short video is the king (or should I say queen) of all embarrassing falls.

If I had been witnessing this in real time I would have predicted it. The girls could have used trekking poles or a found branch for a balancing staff or pole vault. A branch could have been used to determine the depth of the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    If I had been witnessing this in real time I would have predicted it. The girls could have used trekking poles or a found branch for a balancing staff or pole vault. A branch could have been used to determine the depth of the mud.
    Young kids. At least they have a sense of humor about it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post

it makes one wonder though, how are all the differently abled hikers who have to use the wheelchair ramp to gain access to the hut supposed to get into the upper bunks? i smell a lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    it makes one wonder though, how are all the differently abled hikers who have to use the wheelchair ramp to gain access to the hut supposed to get into the upper bunks? i smell a lawsuit.
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Indeed. Not unreasonable if one is accustomed to sleeping in a bed 30"-34" off the floor getting out of bed and expecting the floor to be there for support. Then, suddenly it's not because you momentarily forgot where you were.
    Oh wow I hadn't thought of that and I can totally see it happening.
    At work they mooved a trash can. I still sometimes throw trash on the floor where the trash can used to be.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    In written English it is customary to capitalize the first letter of each sentence as well as the first letter of proper nouns such as the word English. Additionally the use of sentence fragments is frowned upon.
    Fragments. Good device. Must use more of them.

Is a sentence without a subject.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    At work they mooved a trash can..
    Was it getting in the way of the cows?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Is a sentence without a subject.
    the proper fragment youre looking for is, i believe, "sentence without subject" the articles are usually extraneous as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Oh wow I hadn't thought of that and I can totally see it happening.
    At work they mooved a trash can. I still sometimes throw trash on the floor where the trash can used to be.
    It can be worse, like if you're accustomed to going to the bathroom while still half asleep, then, moving to a new environment with the bathroom located in a different place. Worse for men who stand up. That trash can could be mistaken for a urinal.

Ever descend steps expecting another step or two because that's what your accustomed and you hyper extend your leg when you actually are at the floor?

It can be worse, like if you're accustomed to going to the bathroom while still half asleep, then, moving to a new environment with the bathroom located in a different place. Worse for men who stand up. That trash can could be mistaken for a urinal.

Ever descend steps expecting another step or two because that's what your accustomed and you hyper extend your leg when you actually are at the floor?
    Ouch. No but once after recently changing barracks I went to my old room. I put my key in and opened the door. Only when I saw none of my stuff did I realize I went to my old room.

I probably shouldn't have but I tested a few other locks. I had been given a master key. I went to supply and exchanged the master for a regular key.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++