WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hermit Trail and the Tonto Tr between Boucher/Hermit to S KB are increasingly becoming beat down. It's the hike often referenced in several hiking books and on line as the next hike to tackle after a traditional R2R. Last time I tried to camp at Hermit Creek the mice problem was as equal to a high mice AT shelter level problem. Coyotes inhabit the GC and will dig up food caches and rustle through food left unattended. There are no trees to hang anything either. Ravens and jays around established CG's can be a problem.
    This works, http://grubpack.com/

Thx Hosh. I'll look further into the Grubpack. It might even save a few ozs. Do you have one? What's your take?

I've been using an Ursack Minor at 5oz + a 1.2 oz Opsak for rodents, coyotes, ringtail cats, birds, etc and as a deterrent to black bears. Although this Ursack is not specifically approved for black bears I find it offers some non full proof deterrence. When a hard sided canister isn't legally required or IMO absolutely necessary I'll use it for light black bear pressure with other deterrence measures taking a cumulative approach much as Andrew Skurka and others have advised. I'm of the opinion its about not letting wildlife obtain human food.

Yeah I have all three also, I thought the Ursak would be universally accepted by all the federal agencys. Turns out they’re their own little fiefdoms under an all knowing superintendents. My annual RMNP trip requires the plastic tub.

However in the desert, the Grubpack is very effective against rodents, I hide it from Ravens under a scrub bush or ledge. Not had an incident with coyotes, but it can easily be tied off. I’ve done the GC trip twice and used it both times as well as trips in SE Utah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++