WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Other Worthy Grand Canyon Hikes

I had the pleasure of doing a traditional rim-to-rim hike last fall (N.Kaibab->Bright Angel). My travels may take me that way this year again, and was wondering if any of you have ever done any of the other circuits through the canyon and have recommendations. Or is the traditional r2r most popular for a reason?
    It is what it is.

Many years ago I did the Hermit Creek, Tonto Trail, Bright Angel Trail loop. It was wonderful.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I had the pleasure of doing a traditional rim-to-rim hike last fall (N.Kaibab->Bright Angel). My travels may take me that way this year again, and was wondering if any of you have ever done any of the other circuits through the canyon and have recommendations. Or is the traditional r2r most popular for a reason?
    probably not what you were looking for but the south kaibab trail isnt something one should just skip over because theyve done rim to rim using the bright angel.

Did Tanner-Escalante-New Hance some years back with friends and would absolutely do it again. Went in November and the weather was excellent.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I keep hoping to one day do the Nankoweep trail.

Did the Boucher trail one year, down to the river then up back up to the Tonto and then up the Bright Angel.
    I believe they now call this trail the Hermit trail? It wasn't used by many and we saw no one else until we hit the Tonto.
    Along the Tonto trail, the possibilities are many.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I appreciate the ideas and have some things to research...much appreciated everyone!
    It is what it is.

It's commonly advised after a R2R to do a longer hike on the Tonto Tr.

If during peak usage periods consider N. Rim hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Did the Boucher trail one year, down to the river then up back up to the Tonto and then up the Bright Angel.
    I believe they now call this trail the Hermit trail? It wasn't used by many and we saw no one else until we hit the Tonto.
    Along the Tonto trail, the possibilities are many.
    Boucher and Hermit trails are not the same. They can be accessed from the same trailheads, but they descend opposite sides of the Hermit Creek drainage, Hermit to the east, Bouchey to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    It's the most popular R2R because it's what's most known. It travels the most highly maintained corridor trails in the NP. The TH's(BA, S KB, N KB) are located in highly popular areas of the NP. It has infrastructure. However, as you noted by including the word traditional this is certainly not the only way to travel from R2R.

Hermit Trail and the Tonto Tr between Boucher/Hermit to S KB are increasingly becoming beat down. It's the hike often referenced in several hiking books and on line as the next hike to tackle after a traditional R2R. Last time I tried to camp at Hermit Creek the mice problem was as equal to a high mice AT shelter level problem. Coyotes inhabit the GC and will dig up food caches and rustle through food left unattended. There are no trees to hang anything either. Ravens and jays around established CG's can be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hermit Trail and the Tonto Tr between Boucher/Hermit to S KB are increasingly becoming beat down. It's the hike often referenced in several hiking books and on line as the next hike to tackle after a traditional R2R. Last time I tried to camp at Hermit Creek the mice problem was as equal to a high mice AT shelter level problem. Coyotes inhabit the GC and will dig up food caches and rustle through food left unattended. There are no trees to hang anything either. Ravens and jays around established CG's can be a problem.
    Sad to hear that.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

It's the most popular R2R because it's what's most known. It travels the most highly maintained corridor trails in the NP. The TH's(BA, S KB, N KB) are located in highly popular areas of the NP. It has infrastructure. However, as you noted by including the word traditional this is certainly not the only way to travel from R2R.
    well theres also that whole how to get over a giant raging river thats damned (and therefore has releases) at both ends problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    well theres also that whole how to get over a giant raging river thats damned (and therefore has releases) at both ends problem.

Think creatively. It's not as difficult as might first be construed.

Images

Think creatively. It's not as difficult as might first be construed.
    descend nankoweap carrying a rub raft and float down to havasu canyon to hike out?

or go down the lava falls trail and then paddle upstream maybe?

Did you do R2R or R2R2R? I agree with tdoczi that S. Kaibab is worth doing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan428 View Post
    Did you do R2R or R2R2R? I agree with tdoczi that S. Kaibab is worth doing.
    i've never actually done this hike but what about descend s.kaibab to the river, over to bright anhel, back up to the tonto and then tonto over to hermit?

that might seem too long and one might think to cut it short by taking the s.kaibab only as far as the tonto but you'd be seriously missing out on one of the most awesome sections of trail you've ever seen if you did that.

Images

Several years ago some friends and I stayed at Desert View CG and did 4 night hikes down into the canyon to avoid the daytime heat. I highly recommend Desert View - it is a primitive tent-only area several miles from all the hustle-bustle at GC Village.

We did a R2R North Kaibab -> South Kaibab using a shuttle service. It was probably our least favorite hike - and it was spectacular.

We hiked Bright Angel down to the river and back. The best part was the spur trail down to Plateau Point - it was breathtaking in the moonlight.

We did an out and back on the Hermit Trail to the river. It was less travelled and not as well marked as the other trails. It was often difficult to follow at night, which made it quite an adventure.

Our hands down favorite was the Grandview Trail down to Horseshoe Mesa. It was our shortest hike, but also the steepest. There were several places where the trail was maybe 18" wide next to a vertical drop of hundreds of feet. Sitting out under the stars on Horseshoe Mesa was the only time in my life where I've ever experienced complete and utter silence - my ears couldn't detect even the faintest of sounds.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Sitting out under the stars on Horseshoe Mesa was the only time in my life where I've ever experienced complete and utter silence - my ears couldn't detect even the faintest of sounds.
    few of us ever experience complete silence. arguably no one ever has. you wouldnt be able to stand it for long if you did. if you ever by some chance are offered the opportunity to enter something called an anechoic chamber, say yes immediately. its illuminating.

in the meantime, this is a good article on the subject-

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...tes-180948160/

Our hands down favorite was the Grandview Trail down to Horseshoe Mesa. It was our shortest hike, but also the steepest. There were several places where the trail was maybe 18" wide next to a vertical drop of hundreds of feet. Sitting out under the stars on Horseshoe Mesa was the only time in my life where I've ever experienced complete and utter silence - my ears couldn't detect even the faintest of sounds.

Imagine if 3 ft of snow covered that 18" wide path and with one wrong step off the trail what would happen on those 100's of ft of vertical drop off and you were experiencing the Grandview Tr for the first time.

Kinda quiet down by Horseshoe Mesa especially around the front side.

Escalante(away from the LCR CR junction), Royal Arch Routes/Elves Chasm, Tapeats and Deer Creeks are quiet too. Nankoweep Creek area is quiet. You can hear nothing but the rock slides sometimes huge pieces breaking off crashing down. It sounds and feels like an earthquake.

You folks have be craving a winter GCNP trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++