WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trail logistics

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    ...It is easy enough to get off the AT regardless of where you are, to any big or medium size town or city. My advice to you is (A) do your research and plan accordingly. The resources (guides, apps, web sites) are vast and excellent ...
    Check this guide out. I have one and it is the best AT reference I have ever seen. All the hard work, (except the walking! ), has been done for you:

https://www.whiteblazepages.com/store/

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I've been looking through the threads and haven't found anything that specifically addresses this, but for those who have done a flip-flop, I'm curious about the logistics of getting from Maine back down to your starting point? Bus? I suspect flying is not a good option (even ignoring cost) because of fuel, and if that's correct, I would think bus would be the most likely alternative. Thanks for any comments.

John M.
    Florida

Fuel is as issue. It is not advisable to bring fuel on any mass public transportation including thru major bus/train hubs such as Boston/NY whether legal or not. Plan to get fuel at your flip-flop point. On airplanes it is illegal to bring anything that fuel has ever been in even if you check it - so no used stoves. Plan to get fuel at your flip-flop point. Likewise there is some gear that may have to be checked. This means you have to be at major airports earlier, wait to pick it up and oh if it's lost or delayed to another flight...

Bus/train reservations are either not required or can be made from Millinocket or Monson. So yeah stick to the ground if you can.

If you choose to mail stuff forward, it can be an opportunity to do without, pre-order some new equipment or swap to some old equipment while you catch up to your stuff. You'll know long before you get to Katahdin.

There are some logistics floating around in this site somewhere to specific places from NY/DC using commuter rails/buses etc.
    Where/when are you thinking of flipping to? A range of spots/general time frame will help users help you get back to the trail from nearby hubs. How are you getting there in the first place?

That said, all roads lead through Boston. Most hikers spend the night in Millinocket. The place you stay will provide or help you arrange transportation to Medway where you catch Cyr bus lines service to Bangor. This bus currently leaves Medway once a day at 9:30 am arriving at a bus station in Bangor at 10:50 to connect with the Concord bus to Boston/Portand at 11:00 am (btw the Greyhound leaves at 10:15 to Boston from elsewhere in Bangor). The Cyr line connection has been around for decades so this should be a safe and quick connection. It has been a while but this is what I taken twice(not a flip). It gets to South Station at 3:15 pm but also continues to the airport at 3:25. If you choose to fly out of Boston, add another 20 minutes to get to your terminal if they don't stop at all terminals. The bus also stops in Portland but you still have to get to the airport/train. Btw, if you take the train to Boston, you will have to transfer via one subway stop from the north station to south station to continue south. Best to just stick to the bus.

If you fly out of Boston be aware that they do cut off checked baggage 45 minutes to an hour before the flight which kicks you off the flight. Security can be a nightmare but sadly and usually they send late passengers to the head of the line. (They recommend 2 hrs, 1 hour at the security line has always gotten me through but remember the bus can be late also). Bags are frequently searched and especially for us shady hikers. Early AM fights are by far the best for reliability.

By bus from Boston you can get to Williamstown MA, North Conway, NH(also get to Berlin NH from Bangor by Concord bus), and Dartmouth NH. Most if not all leave early in the morning via various bus services requiring an overnight stay in Boston(but hey you have afternoon to walk the Freedom trail). After this point, I have no experience.

From South Station you can take a bus or Amtrak south to NY/Newark, Philadelphia, Baltimore etc. Check Amtrak, Concord (from Bangor) and Greyhound (from Boston).

The last train leaving at 4:15 gets to NY at 8 PM, Newark 830ish , Washington DC after 11 PM. There are many options from these locations. but probably not until the morning. In any case you get stuck overnight somewhere. Some places kick you out without a ticket. If you want or need a cheaper hotel best to stop a smaller town along the way. Your ease of access to your final destination may determine whether you take the bus or train to your final hub.

Flying out of Bangor might be an option to get around in one day flying to Harrisburg PA arriving by 4 ish but lots of issues with reservations, schedules, delays and full flights. Something to stick in your pocket and try at the last minute if PA is flip point. Might have time to catch a train to Harpers Ferry for via Reagan in D.C. without an overnight. There are also trains to Harrisburg from Philadelphia. Best to pick a starting point first based your schedule/trail weather..., access to your trail starting and work backwards. Iterate if necessary.

Rental cars are tight now but if your flip is after the summer rush, it might be a good option but still have many of the issues with flights. The bus/train options are the more flexible generally need no early reservations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++