WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Smile Shuttle in in the beginning of TN

I am looking to start my hike at Deep gao in NC and looking to finish it about a 100 miles in. Anyone that you could recommend (facebook, etc)? Also which airport would be nearest to those locations? Sorry for the loaded question and thank you!

From Deep Gap, NC these are your options
    Fontana at 81 miles
    Clingmans Dome road at 115
    Newfound Gap 122.7 Miles

Call "A walk in the woods" They are your best Clingmans or Newfound option
    Call "The Hike Inn" for Fontana OR Ron Brown for Fontana back to Deep Gap, NC.

Honestly if you are getting a ride back to your car that is parked at Deep Gap, NC Ron Brown is your best bet. His length he can travel ends at Fontana dam and he drives mostly in GA so he would be a good one.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

hike inn will also do a clingmans run...

at least they did for me a few years ago (well, shoot....more i think about it, it was ten years ago)...

but they took me from fontana to clingmans..........

but yeah, ron brown is also another really good option...

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    hike inn will also do a clingmans run...

at least they did for me a few years ago (well, shoot....more i think about it, it was ten years ago)...

but they took me from fontana to clingmans..........

but yeah, ron brown is also another really good option...
    No sure if hike inn goes to deep gap was my only reservation in them

Images

What's the beginning of TN? Is it the Smokeys, where you walk the border, never really leaving NC, and then enter NC for a long while before reentering TN to straddle the border again? For me, its probably Erwin.

Probably should come in to ATL and get a ride to the Top of Ga hostel that isn't too far from Deep gap and can shuttle you there. Ron in Franklin NC is the other best option.

Assuming you'd finish at Fontana, probably best to fly back out of Asheville. If you go on to Clingman's or Newfound Gap, Knoxville might be a better option. The Hike Inn near Stecoah is probably your best shuttle option.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Assuming you'd finish at Fontana, probably best to fly back out of Asheville. If you go on to Clingman's or Newfound Gap, Knoxville might be a better option.

fontana is closer to the knoxville airport than the asheville airport.........

I personally refer to states and sections as the thru hiker companion does. GA, NC, GSMNP, NC/TN Border, TN, VA.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    fontana is closer to the knoxville airport than the asheville airport.........
    The drive from Fontana is a real PITA unless your are the driver of a good handling car or motorcycle. As a passenger you may subject to car sickness.

If you are not familiar with US 129 , there are something like 100 turns in about 11 miles. Named the tail of the dragon, it is treated as a race track by some sport bike riders.

Personally I would prefer to end a hike at Clingmans Dome or Newfound Gap.

Images

Although if your shuttle is coming from GA and going back that way you could avoid the dragon .

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    The drive from Fontana is a real PITA unless your are the driver of a good handling car or motorcycle. As a passenger you may subject to car sickness.

If you are not familiar with US 129 , there are something like 100 turns in about 11 miles. Named the tail of the dragon, it is treated as a race track by some sport bike riders.

Personally I would prefer to end a hike at Clingmans Dome or Newfound Gap.
    It is the misery of the southern smokies. IMO. First couple trips in that area it was a real highlight. Now I dread it unless it is a nice sunny day. I think I have traveled the dragon 22 times for hiking trips, including there and back travel. Not so fun at midnight in a storm....Also one time a friends mom picked me up to take me back to Fontana, she had no clue the Dragon would be along our route. As we hit about turn 3 of the journey...."Oh, my E light just came on"....She freaked out real bad lol

Images

I grossly understated the number of turns. There are 318 turns in 11 miles. Even some of the turns are named.

++ New Posts ++