WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sectioned from Fox Creek to Atkins over Labor Day 2019, and the Barn was closed. Parked at Relax Inn for a very small fee, and got a shuttle from son Ben for a very fair price. Resupplied at the gas station, and hit the road. (If you are heading north on I-81, there is a public rest area not too far to freshen up and change into travelling clothes. Easy-Peasy. Enjoy your trip!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The 2020 version of AWOL's AT Guide and Whiteblaze Pages continues to list The Barn Restaurant.
    It seems to have been open for a while last spring but Google now shows it as "Permanently Closed".

Apologize for the thread hijack but this thread got me reflecting back on my thru hike in '10. Back then there was a pretty well known hostel in Atkins run by Bunny and Rabbitt (iirc) who themselves were former thruhikers. They closed the hostel shortly thereafter. Anybody but me remember the place? Anybody recall the "official"name of that place and hhow the owners may be doing?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    Apologize for the thread hijack but this thread got me reflecting back on my thru hike in '10. Back then there was a pretty well known hostel in Atkins run by Bunny and Rabbitt (iirc) who themselves were former thruhikers. They closed the hostel shortly thereafter. Anybody but me remember the place? Anybody recall the "official"name of that place and hhow the owners may be doing?
    Happy Hiker Hollow owned by Rambunny and Aqua. Health challenges have limited their availability to hikers but I believe they may still shuttle hikers. Rambunny is a 3 time AT thruhiker making her one of just a few women to hike the trail that many times. They also worked for Honey and Bear at The Cabin in Andover ME around the 2006 time frame.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    It seems to have been open for a while last spring but Google now shows it as "Permanently Closed".
    That's a shame. We had an incredible meal there on our hike. Staff was very hiker friendly, let us charge our electronics on the front porch when we were done eating as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    thats sad as the trail is almost at their front door....

wonder if hikers pissed them off....

on a slightly different note----my grandfather is buried up somewhere up on the mountain on the opposite side of the barn/relax inn....

theres a series of roads that lead to dirt road that somewhere he is buried up there...

sadly, i will never know exact spot as the people who's land we used to bury him, are gone...

the last time/only time i was up there was in 1976 when we buried him and i was 6 years old....

i would have loved to figure out where he's at and see how close it is to the trail and potentially buy the land......

Bumping this old thread because I just recently purchased a home in Atkins at the base of Glade Mtn, less than three miles from the trail. I have a USGS survey map of Glade Mountain and the surrounding area and it shows two cemeteries in the area you are referencing--one is Atkins Cemetery (which I believe is now affiliated with Cedar Bluff Baptist church and is not on a mountain), between I81 and the present day location of the Settlers Museum. The second is about a mile up Glade Mountain called Overbay Cemetery--I have been trying to find Overbay in my treks around my new neighborhood but it appears to be on private property. You can take forest road 86 all the way around Glade Mtn (also called Denzler Rd on some maps) and reconnect with Nick's Creek Rd in Atkins, making a nice little twelve mile loop to explore the area.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    Bumping this old thread because I just recently purchased a home in Atkins at the base of Glade Mtn, less than three miles from the trail. I have a USGS survey map of Glade Mountain and the surrounding area and it shows two cemeteries in the area you are referencing--one is Atkins Cemetery (which I believe is now affiliated with Cedar Bluff Baptist church and is not on a mountain), between I81 and the present day location of the Settlers Museum. The second is about a mile up Glade Mountain called Overbay Cemetery--I have been trying to find Overbay in my treks around my new neighborhood but it appears to be on private property. You can take forest road 86 all the way around Glade Mtn (also called Denzler Rd on some maps) and reconnect with Nick's Creek Rd in Atkins, making a nice little twelve mile loop to explore the area.

thanks...

the way i remember it though, is that my grandfather was not buried in an established cemetery...

rather, we just went up and put him in the ground on some family owned private land then put
    some concrete over top of it.......he was buried in an urn.......

i recall a block of concrete about a foot and a half by a foot and a half......

and remember my grandmother picking up a stick and writing his name
    in the cement....

i was just down in that general area (wytheville) to drop off some my dad's genealogy research papers
    to the wythe county genealogical society....

i go by the exit (54) where the land is off of all the time, just the other day as a matter of fact but
    was distracted watching a plane land at the airport....

twenty some years of doing that route and that's the second plane i have seen landing there.......

but once i am done with cleaning out my dad's house and settling his estate, i plan on going up
    that area and see what i can find......

i just know that it's somewhere on the west side of 81, and had to go up a dirt road off the main little
    road right there, and through a bunch of cattle gates to get up to the top...

it might be off of gordon road which is about a mile or two from the interstate...

this would make sense as my grandmother's sister got married to a gordon and it was
    part of their land......

Please,

Where do you recommend a person park safely for free in Atkins? I'm heading there tomorrow. Hopefully you see this in time! Or anyone who knows....

Thank you!

Images

I stayed at the Relax Inn on my section hike back in October (2020) and there was a for sale sign at The Barn and the talk on Guthooks was closed permanently. I can only assume they were another small business that fell victim to the COVID-19 epidemic...sad but what does our government care???

Images

I can only assume they were another small business that fell victim to the COVID-19 epidemic...sad but what does our government care???

you really shouldn't assume things.....and then add in opinion on it.......

especially when the info can be found in this thread.....

as according to post number 22-----the barn is listed as permanently closed....

that post came in the beginning of the covid thing here in america and would have not had
    any affect on them.....

Images

Hello,

Pretty sure the Virginia Settler's Museum will allow parking as they are closed right now and the trail runs adjacent to the Visitor's Center. Their address is 1322 Rocky Hollow Rd in Atkins. You can also go down Rocky Hollow to Kiawana, take a left, and drive up to Denzler Road, which turns into forest road 644. It's quite steep and rocky so a good vehicle is recommended. After about a mile you will come to a T section--the trail is to the left, about another mile on. There is a small pull off near where the trail crosses the road that you could park a vehicle at.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++