WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Barn Restaurant- Atkins, Va.

I read that the Barn Restaurant closed in late Oct., reopened in December with new Management. I have been unable to reach them by phone, as the number given in the Guides &/or Guthook is no longer working. Does anyone have any updated info, or a new phone number? The goal is simply to park at the Barn for a few days for an upcoming section and I’d prefer to know all is good to go in advance.

thanks.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Images

oh boy was that place a trip when i was there back in may. it'd be sort of sad to see it go but yet it also makes sense. no way what i saw was a sustainable business model. dont know how it lasted this long.

If you cant get ahold of them, parking is available for 2-3 cars on the other side of i81 opposite side as the barn restaurant.

Here is the number that google provides for the barn. As well, Rohlands parking guide suggests having permission before parking here. When I parked here, I called for permission, and told them I would be a customer at the end of my hike, which I did and it was very good!

have a great hike!
    The Barn Restaurant

Phone: (276) 686-6222

Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 8PM
    Tuesday 7AM–8PM
    Wednesday 7AM–8PM
    Thursday 7AM–8PM
    Friday 7AM–8PM
    Saturday 7AM–8PM
    Sunday 7AM–3PM
    Monday 7AM–8PM
    Unable to add this file. Please check that it is a valid photo.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks Gambit. Unfortunately, that number is the very one that is not working. It makes you wonder if they are even open for business, thus my request to the great WB family for some current information.

Call skip and linda they shuttle in the atkins area and would know best what the deal is.

276-783-3604

Images

parking is available for 2-3 cars on the other side of i81 opposite side as the barn restaurant

is that a safe space to park?

it's basically right off the exit and that makes me thing otherwise but ive never parked there....

wonder if the airport or that gas station right there would allow parking?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    is that a safe space to park?

it's basically right off the exit and that makes me thing otherwise but ive never parked there....

wonder if the airport or that gas station right there would allow parking?

I would personally park there for a weekend. I would probably try and find more suitable parking for longer then a weekend. Another option would be the Relax Inn but I wanna say they aren't very hiker friendly.

Images

Another option would be the Relax Inn but I wanna say they aren't very hiker friendly.

thats sad as the trail is almost at their front door....

wonder if hikers pissed them off....

on a slightly different note----my grandfather is buried up somewhere up on the mountain on the opposite side of the barn/relax inn....

theres a series of roads that lead to dirt road that somewhere he is buried up there...

sadly, i will never know exact spot as the people who's land we used to bury him, are gone...

the last time/only time i was up there was in 1976 when we buried him and i was 6 years old....

i would have loved to figure out where he's at and see how close it is to the trail and potentially buy the land......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I would personally park there for a weekend. I would probably try and find more suitable parking for longer then a weekend. Another option would be the Relax Inn but I wanna say they aren't very hiker friendly.
    i also stayed at the relax. i cant say it wasnt hiker friendly. it was sort of overpriced for what you got but what can ya do.

i dont think they get nearly enough business to be fussy about hikers coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Call skip and linda they shuttle in the atkins area and would know best what the deal is. 276-783-3604
    Its funny how one thing leads to another... I had already called Linda for a shuttle, and sadly Skip passed away in December (?). She was great to talk to, and is still doing some light shuttling. She told me she had to notify the guides to make the change in names...

As as for the Relax Inn, I actually stayed there on my hike in ‘16. Not friendly, not unfriendly. Just another cheap motel on the trail. A quick side note, I did this section in 2013. The Barn was closed, the Relax Inn said no to parking, and we ended up parking behind the gas station on the corner, with their permission.
    The way things are looking here, it may be the gas station again.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    Its funny how one thing leads to another... I had already called Linda for a shuttle, and sadly Skip passed away in December (?). She was great to talk to, and is still doing some light shuttling. She told me she had to notify the guides to make the change in names...

As as for the Relax Inn, I actually stayed there on my hike in ‘16. Not friendly, not unfriendly. Just another cheap motel on the trail. A quick side note, I did this section in 2013. The Barn was closed, the Relax Inn said no to parking, and we ended up parking behind the gas station on the corner, with their permission.
    The way things are looking here, it may be the gas station again.
    I hate to hear Skip passed away I didnt know. He shuttled me many times thru SoVa. Entertained me with his old sherriffin stories during the rides he gave me.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 01-23-2019 at 10:03.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I parked at the parking lot beside the trail where it crossed the next road after 81. It’s near a farm, and may be ok for a weekend. Didn’t get in the Barn, but I’m down that way fairly regularly. If I can remember, I’ll try to swing by the Barn Feb 15th when I’m there next.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i also stayed at the relax. i cant say it wasnt hiker friendly. it was sort of overpriced for what you got but what can ya do.

i dont think they get nearly enough business to be fussy about hikers coming in.
    This has been my experience also, have stayed there twice. They were friendly enough I thought.

I had to pay for parking at The Barn on a section last year.

Skip....is he the tall skinny fellow, his wife really short?
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I had to pay for parking at The Barn on a section last year.
    Skip....is he the tall skinny fellow, his wife really short?
    All the guide books state a $5.00/day charge, so I expected that.
    As for Skip being tall, skinny, I never met the man. I spoke to Linda, his wife on the phone. She did sound like she was really short!

Images

I parked at the Relax Inn Sept. 2011 and again April 2012. They did charge to park. Once got a shuttle from one of the younger family members there.

Not sure if they still shuttle

I don’t know which direction you’re going, but just south of Atkins is the Lindamood School and Settlers Museum. Safe, quiet place, and they allow hiker parking. The trail goes almost right through the property.

Default AT parking at the Barn

I did a 4 day 3 night section hike over Labor Day 2019 and the Barn seemed to be closed. We looked for information on the door, but nothing. We did park at the end of the lot closest to the AT. We were shuttled from the Barn parking lot south to Grayson Highlands and hiked NOBO back into Atkins. Our car was fine. We did go over to the Relax Inn to get a shower before driving back to Atlanta. Odd place, but they did let us shower for $10 bucks for 2.

Images

The 2020 version of AWOL's AT Guide and Whiteblaze Pages continues to list The Barn Restaurant.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Thread drift I know, but I liked the Relax Inn. The sheets were clean, the bathroom was clean and tiled in the 1950s, in that distinctive style. It's likely the comforter and carpets were also from 1950. Still, the whole place had a Route 66, faded Americana vibe. I don't remember a thing about the desk clerk, so apparently they were competent if nothing else. It's probably the kind of place I'd have been horrified of, had I not just spent months on the trail.

Enjoyed a great Mexican meal at the restaurant attached to the nearby gas station, and was able to get some very basic resupply items at that gas station.

Even in 2016 The Barn was apparently sporadically closed. Restauranting is expensive and difficult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++