WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Satellite Messengers and Locator Beacons

What do you use? How is the interface for users and also people looking into your location? Needs to work in cold temperatures. It seems like spot is the cheapest upfront cost and monthly cost but reviews I’ve read say it’s unreliable. I was leaning that way but then thought garmin inreach explorer+ but now I’m way up on price initially and monthly. Thanks in advanced for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spot is really the only device I have ever seen on the trail. I have personally used the "my location" feature that is in guthooks a couple times but only for social media/ texting.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

This thread should be a sub-thread of are we getting softer...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Dang did I do a redo thread? I broke my own rule
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    which itself seemed to at least have been inspired by the "what perimeter defense system do you use while tenting?" thread.

Listen, you guys can say what you want. It must be great to be so close minded. My post is to get some feedback. I’m not a thru hiker and don’t plan to be anytime. I want to know what device works in below 0 temperatures to let my wife know where I am or get me some help if something unplanned was to happen when I’m out solo without cell service. I’d say by the comments above you don’t camp/hike in sub zero conditions or you do and think you are the best mountaineer that ever lives. Give me some feed back on how great you are. Lets keep it on track

Images

Listen, you guys can say what you want. It must be great to be so close minded. My post is to get some feedback

just a word of advice------if you didnt want a thread to deviate from your topic, as most threads will do with discussion boards--------there is the "Straight Forward" forum where "This will be a very strict forum. It is for questions and answers, related to hiking the Appalachian Trail. Any deviation from subject will be deleted."

ResQLink+ PLB. Purchased from REI.
    https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plus-plb
    Be safe.
    Wayne

InReach with phone EarthMate app is good for 2-way. You can do it without the app but toggling thru the InReach screen keyboard will drive you nuts.

Hey, I'm old school, pre-GPS and pre-cellphone and can still git 'er done without 'em, but two pings a day are a small price to pay for maintaining marital harmony. And if the poop does hit the blower... well there's an option to maybe live to hike another day.

In the past I've gone on hikes as long as 21 days when there was no expectation from anyone that I would be in contact before that. If I had had even a small injury early in the trips which kept me from coming out of the mountains, I could easily have been dead before anyone even knew I had any problems. I used Spot devices for a number of years, and had reasonable luck getting out messages, but there were times when failures occurred. For a few years now I've used InReach, both for work and hiking, and have yet to have any problems communicating. I may be mistaken, but the last time I looked, it appeared that the monthly fee for Spot devices was higher than that of the basic InReach plan. My plan includes emergency notifications, of course, as well as unlimited preset text messages which can be sent to my family and friends showing my position and status. I also have 10 ad hoc text messages which can be sent at no additional charge per month. Since I may be hiking for months at a time, and often out of cell service for a few days at a time, InReach is an enormous help in assuaging any concerns among family and friends. My device is about 7.7 oz., and has a usb rechargeable battery which lasts for well over a month and a half without recharging if I just send a status message once or twice a day. I usually send a message at the end of the day as I set up the tent; if I'm behind planned distance, message can indicate if the hiking was extra difficult, or if I have a minor injury, etc.. Otherwise the all's well message also gives my location in the text which is a link to a google map showing my camp. InReach also comes with an excellent phone app allowing you to control the device and type messages on your phone to be sent over the Iridium satellite network. If I were buying another InReach today I would consider the newish mini InReach which is only about 3.5 ounces, and has a simpler user interface, but still all the communication capabilities.
    Renais
    Trail name Catnapper

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    InReach with phone EarthMate app is good for 2-way. You can do it without the app but toggling thru the InReach screen keyboard will drive you nuts.

Hey, I'm old school, pre-GPS and pre-cellphone and can still git 'er done without 'em, but two pings a day are a small price to pay for maintaining marital harmony. And if the poop does hit the blower... well there's an option to maybe live to hike another day.
    That’s all I’m going for

It shouldn’t be too difficult to keep the unit warm in your hands, inside pocket, etc.
    ResQLink+ Battery specs.
    “Battery, Operational Life
    Exceeds required 24 Hours @ -4°F (-20°C)”
    Wayne

The only issue I have is keeping my phone warm at this point. iPhone 6. So I’m assuming anything I get might be bigger or now dealing with keeping both warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    ResQLink+ PLB. Purchased from REI.
    https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plus-plb
    Be safe.
    Wayne
    Ditto here. Almost never have a cell signal where I hike anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Ditto here. Almost never have a cell signal where I hike anyway.
    Ditto. My trailhead criteria includes loosing cell service before the pavement ends.
    Wayne

PLBs are for summoning the cavalry, not the daily pings to let selected folks know where you are.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

This question comes up often enough that I have a stock answer.

I carried a (rented) SPOT on one longish (planned two-week) hike, for my wife's peace of mind. Nowadays she's more confident that if she doesn't hear from The Authorities, and I'm less than a day late, I'm probably fine. I don't feel any particular inclination to send real-time updates from the trail, and I go hiking in part to get away from the overload of other people constantly sending me whatever enters their heads.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I've hiked in the Porcupine Mountains and on Isle Royal with a good friend who owns an InReach Mini. It was a little clunky to set up; the instructions were not real clear. (or clear enough for a couple 50+ guys) There was no cell service on either trip, and it was nice to be able to send texts to our wives at home to let them know that we were alive and well. It was also handy for getting weather forecast when the sky was getting questionable.

My son wants to walk on part of the AT this summer. I'm thinking we might own one of these devices in the near future. Besides backpacking, I also take motorcycle trips to/thru areas without consistent phone service. (I'd like to take a ride around Lake Superior)

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    The spot is really the only device I have ever seen on the trail..............
    That maybe because people hang them on the outside of their pack. Folks with a PLB generally don't do that so you could be seeing folks who have a PLB but not seeing their device.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Here’s how I look at it....

1. PLB ResQLink broadcasts at 5 Watts to get a signal to a government satellite and broadcasts a local homing beacon to get me help when the SHTF and I’m in serious trouble. They work.

2. Something like a satellite tracker/communicator broadcasts at less than 1.5 Watts and uses a commercial service that, based on reviews, doesn’t always work.

While 2 provides a superficial peace of mind, 1 provides a higher likelihood of actually working in a true emergency. Thus 1 provides my family with more comfort even though I may not be able to text them when I’m on the trail. They have peace in knowing that if I really need help, I’m likely to get it with a PLB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++