WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Anybody got an Over/Under guess on how many trail days before Trambo reverts to a “traditional” AT trail menu?
    Depends on what their definition of 'experienced hiker' entails. Some people have experience hiking big miles, camping, sprouting, cooking, and roughing it. Does Trambo have all the above simultaneously in the same trek? If so, then it all amounts to how much grit one possesses. If not, then it depends on how flexible one is on holding fast to one's convictions. There was a hiker/blogger that I was sure wouldn't make it two weeks on her entirely raw diet that almost made it to Harper's Ferry before deciding the daily chores/monotony wasn't worth the effort. Kudos to anyone that makes the hike theirs for however long it may be!

Images

I met a trio on their third year of a thru hike of the PCT. They would hike about 8 miles a day. When the weather turned they would find a job for the winter. Save up for the next season & continue on. Their food was heavy but I was envious of it. Who is doing it wrong? HYOH.

Anybody got an Over/Under guess on how many trail days before Trambo reverts to a “traditional” AT trail menu?
    You may think that you're humorous, but you're just being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    Depends on what their definition of 'experienced hiker' entails. Some people have experience hiking big miles, camping, sprouting, cooking, and roughing it. Does Trambo have all the above simultaneously in the same trek? If so, then it all amounts to how much grit one possesses. If not, then it depends on how flexible one is on holding fast to one's convictions. There was a hiker/blogger that I was sure wouldn't make it two weeks on her entirely raw diet that almost made it to Harper's Ferry before deciding the daily chores/monotony wasn't worth the effort. Kudos to anyone that makes the hike theirs for however long it may be!
    I appreciate the Kudos at the end .... but I do not think that we should even reply to such an offensive question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    I met a trio on their third year of a thru hike of the PCT. They would hike about 8 miles a day. When the weather turned they would find a job for the winter. Save up for the next season & continue on. Their food was heavy but I was envious of it. Who is doing it wrong? HYOH.
    Look at how much money they have saved over those three years, and I bet they have some great stories to boot. There are some that focus on adding up the miles, and others that focus on adding up experiences. There could even be the argument that the trio experienced the PCT much more than regular thru hikers. Their time gives them a much more intimate understanding of the trek, compared to someone who blazed through it deliriously. Neither wrong, just different ......

I have news of success. The gnocchi came out amazing. When I sliced them bilaterally, the would break. When I would sliced as a load of bread, they stayed together perfectly. These little slices dehydrated nicely. Today, I tested out these gnocchi, and boy were they delicious.

They rehydrated quite easily. I did a quick mash with a fork after they got soft. This was a perfect addition to the meal.

All I can say is wow..... I'm going to blow some minds with some of this food. If you're going to be NOBO this year, I will make someone a few meal samples.

Interesting and thoughtful post Trambo. Thanks.

Journal Entries

Start date?

Journal?

Walking 10 hrs per day dont leave a lot of time to futz with food
    Or, leave the desire to do so.
    Its a necessity, not a pleasure on the trail, imo.
    Be very interesting to see how your enthusiasm holds up.
    Most want to eat as fast as possible, and finally lay down and rest.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-27-2019 at 09:34.

Muddy, thanks for the reply. You're definitely correct ....... Most people don't want to mess around with too much food prep on trail. I absolutely love cooking, and I can see methods of doing this efficiently. I can't tell you how much eating that meal with gnocchi last night motivates me. Perhaps there will be a job with a backpacking food company after my trail. I've looked into creating my own, but I'd really just like being on the creative side and not starting and running a business.

Start Date? Well, that's a bit murky at this time. My absolute latest start date is the beginning of April. Currently, I'm expecting to start between mid March and the end of March.

The easiest way to recognize me, will be seeing my tarp. I don't want to explain my trip in great detail, but let's just say that there's much already planned for this hike. I'm designing a winter tarp to be printed for this trip. If you see a covered wagon on the trail, it's me. Come chat. We can share some stories. Here is a link that shows the design process for my tarp. https://imgur.com/a/p5PEBCd

Luckily, I do not find myself following most people. I share my love for others through food. I also enjoy helping others, and feel that some trail magic needs to come from hikers also. I do not anticipate a problem stopping and baking for 20 or 30 minutes. I'll likely be doing this for both lunch and dinner.

"Be very interesting to see how your enthusiasm holds up" .... thank's Muddy. I do appreciate that. Of course, I'm planning to be enthusiastic the entire trip ...... but, we know how best laid plans end up. To be honest, I'm pretty stubborn and creative. If I was able to stay enthusiastic about MREs throughout my entire service, then staying enthusiastic about my own created food should be easy. I had so much fun trading and customizing those horribly chemical meals. Every other soldier just sucked down their food, and I always took the extra few steps to make a great meal.

I haven't decided how I am going to journal this trip. Part of the beauty is getting away from my electronics addiction. I'm a videographer, so I would enjoy filming my journey. I've got a rainproof 3 axis remote controlled gimbal system that would be a blast to record with. I'm still iffy about taking that, as it's a bunch of extra weight, but it would produce some absolutely amazing shots. Doing a video journal would mean more trips to town, to upload videos and charge batteries.

Here's a picture of a loaf that I would give to someone on the trail. It was so delicious, that I didn't slather coconut oil over it. I ate the entire thing plain.
    loaf.jpg
    Last edited by Trambo; 01-27-2019 at 12:20.

"Seasoning is life. I know that some people will argue, and say that it's needless weight ..... but, my trip is a pushback against the ideal that weight means everything. I feel that my morale will be raised from the additional flavorings and options that my seasonings afford me. For this reason, I'll be carrying an assortment of self made spices. I do not want to get bored with my food ;having something crisp and fresh helps to brighten my day."

Thoughtful perspectives.

Dry spices and seasoning mixes I separate in my mind. Reduce the wt by repackaging into smaller amts into lesser wt smaller baggies. The glass bottles, plastic containers, and tin cans, can often weigh more than the dry wt of the spices. Additionally, a small baggie is easily condensable saving bulk as consumables are reduced.

My favorite bean to sprout is called a "moth bean". It is absolutely delicious. It's everything good about the mung bean, plus better growing and better taste. I'm likely going to sprout a mix of mung and moth beans, but I've got to test that out first. I really don't like sprouting more than one type. If they have the same growth rate, then it won't be a big problem.

Thank you. I don't recall ever hearing about the moth bean. Where do you get them?

Good reminder about sprouting seeds with the same growth rate.

Using Dollar Stores in the generic sense, they are often your only food source. Your choice has been made for you. Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Snickers, Slim Jim’s, etc. An example: The AT crossing at Hwy. 19E. Elk Park, NC has a newish Dollar General and a gas station convenience store less than a mile from the trail.
    Enjoy.
    Wayne
    I wouldn't bet against him doing it his food way because he's leaving his options open while going in having a wide range of them.

It's a myth, especially for AT resupply, one absolutely has to relegate themselves to DG's or traditional(common) junk food diets.

FWIW, IMO what Trambo is doing is facilitating HYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post

Nice way to phrase it.

Dogwood, I found moth beans (commonly called mat bean, moth bean, matki, Turkish gram or dew bean) at an Indian grocery store. I've found those are the cheapest place to find beans to sprout. It really is delicious, and I need to buy more.

Another interesting sprout is Fenugreek. I sprouted many varieties just to try, and this was an odd one. There is a smell to this one, that is hard to describe. It's used as a maple imitation, but that taste isn't from the sprouts. They have a slight mustardish taste, again hard to describe. I really enjoy mustard sprouts also, but those seeds and sprouts are really small. The last thing that I want are sprouts that are difficult to keep clean on the trail. I'm going to stick with big easy ones.

How can I explain moth beans? Mung bean sprouts are pretty darn bland, but they often have this hint of a little twang to them. Moth beans have none of that. It's just crisp and tasty. Moth beans also grow much quicker than it's mung counterpart. I would start with approximately 20% of a mason jar with the dry bean before the soak. Within four days time, two mason jars were filled. I'm approximating the grow time, because I wasn't really timing it ..... but, I was floored by this one variety.

I was taking a break from planning my trip, and watching some youtube videos on Gracie BJJ. Wouldn't you know it, but this video really dives into nutrition and mindset of endurance athletes. One unique view was that he relished (enjoyed/loved/cherished) the feelings of being exhausted and broken down. He was also talking about keeping his body at the minimal of being fed. He would want just enough energy to get through the task. His meals were also spread out into many small meals through the day. As I spoke in the beginning of this thread, I really enjoy the ABS diet. These are some of the foundation of that diet, and it's how I've been looking at my upcoming journey. This athlete's perspective is unique, because he does it eating fish only, and fighting mma. This definitely isn't the journey where I would stop eating meat cold turkey (perhaps the wrong term in this situation). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_7huOfVMP0
    Last edited by Trambo; 01-27-2019 at 21:44. Reason: forgot video link, oops

I use to focus on little baggies, but I think that I'm going to be focusing on using paper bags to store things internally. There's no reason for each to have a ziploc baggie, if all of my seasonings and additives can fit in one ziploc. What do I mean when I say additives? I've got some things like thickening mixes that I can use if I added to much water, or if I want to intentionally stretch a meal out a little further. This will have a bunch of potato flakes, chia seed, and a whole variety of grains. The idea is that I can add it, and it won't disrupt the flavor. A second thickener mix is mainly potato flakes and parm cheese (along with a lower mix of seeds and grains). For some meals, you almost get a whole different meal if you simply change the consistency of it.

I love it trambo....Good hikes...goood food...good sleep. Life is short, eat it up

All I need on the trail are four food items: Peanut butter, Hard cheese (e.g. cheddar), whole wheat tortilla wraps, and raisins. This diet gives you all the nutrition you need; the fats, proteins, carbs, fibers, and the minerals and electrolytes (Mg, Ca, Na, k+, etc). In towns, I buy all the fruits and vegetables that I can for vitamins.
    And of course, coffee...
    Last edited by stephanD; 02-01-2019 at 15:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Trambo View Post
    I use to focus on little baggies, but I think that I'm going to be focusing on using paper bags to store things internally. There's no reason for each to have a ziploc baggie, if all of my seasonings and additives can fit in one ziploc. What do I mean when I say additives? I've got some things like thickening mixes that I can use if I added to much water, or if I want to intentionally stretch a meal out a little further. This will have a bunch of potato flakes, chia seed, and a whole variety of grains. The idea is that I can add it, and it won't disrupt the flavor. A second thickener mix is mainly potato flakes and parm cheese (along with a lower mix of seeds and grains). For some meals, you almost get a whole different meal if you simply change the consistency of it.
    Some grocery food stores like WFoods, Earthfare, and "healthfood" stores sell spices in bulk, from bulk containers, allowing to buy as much or as little as one may want. They provide tiny plastic sealable bags. Taking a few choice .3 oz or so dry spices is less bulky and heavy than essential oils. The wt and bulk can be minimal while maximizing tastes. Some dried spices enable you to make your own tinctures on trail by soaking in water. You can also buy loose tea, coffee, and PB and almond butter. Same places offer a diversity of dried grains, fruits, and seeds.

It's hilarious the people who suggest that everyone else follows their boring food list. I am discussing varied nutrition sources, and eating junk doesn't follow that thinking.

You're not proving that you're hardcore because you eat four things. The fact that you think this is nutritious or tasteful is ridiculous. That's your opinion, and you'll find no nutritionist that would support four months of four foods only.

Dried spices are not comparable in my opinion, but thank you for your suggestion. Oils last me a very longtime, so I don't need to take much. What's your solution? To carry many spice bags, and then to carry many different container to solute those spices? That's inefficient, more hassle, and you lose much nutrients with ground spices. Carrying whole spices is even less desired. I'm not scared of spices. You should see the seasoning blends that I have. You can't hydrate spices in water and then apply to skin. That's just going to make a mess. I appreciate you attempt, but suggesting alternatives than oils is against the point of the thread of discussion, and just incorrect. Do you go to a thread discussing how to fix a part on a tent, and tell them to use a hammock? Is that constructive?

I found some great food deals over the past few days. I found six ounces of shredded brisket without sauce for a dollar twenty five (was bogo). Then, I found this can of fire roasted tomatoes with garlic, for free when purchase a 78 cent can of refried beans. I had to buy a bunch, when I found the liquid tastes just like v8.

Now I make a bark out of that liquid, and it's absolutely delicious. Its as if a v8 dissolves in my mouth. I bought twelve cans of that last night, and I already had four from the past grocery trip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++