WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Return Exchange Zpacks Experience

I have just received my Arc Haul Zip pack. GREAT pack. The issue (my fault) is that I should probably have ordered a SMALL torso with a SMALL belt. I have a 19/20 inch torso which pushed me to the MEDIUM pack. I have a 32 inch waist which led me to the extra small belt. On the internet some folks recommend going to a smaller size if you are "on the fence". Other folks recommend not. The belt works but the hip pockets are located behind the hip bones.

Again my fault (ignorance).

I have just emailed Zpacks (Sunday) inquiring what my options are. The pack is brand new, not used other than initial fitting effort inside.

Anyone have any experience with returns/exchanges with Zpacks? They seem to have great customer service. Anyone have fitting issues with these packs? Too bad there is not store to try them on. I wish there were some more youtube videos with real folks showing real measurements and then showcasing the packs.

I will post my experience.

Thanks All,

Steady

I have a 19" torso...stick with the Medium torso pack, it will keep the weight off your shoulders...there is enough adjust-ability with it. I am a very tiny woman (I wear a 30-32" belt around my hips) and actually found the Small belt to be too small. I switched out for the medium and am happy with it, but a small belt would potentially be better for a guy who doesn't have hips. They will easily exchange your X-small belt for a small.

You will have no issue exchanging it. They may require you to pay shipping and a restock fee but I am not certain on this. As well, don't be surprised if it takes a few days to get a reply. Some times they have replied to me within the day, other times it has taken a week but they have always gotten back with me.

I have put 500 miles on my arc blast now, lived out of it for 3 weeks on the trail and I have zero complaints.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

When you look "up", does the back of your head bang against the horizontal support stay?

Steady

No it doesn't. Here are 4 pictures showing where the pack resides.
    IMG_0095.JPGIMG_0118.JPGIMG_0348.JPGIMG_0425.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Looks like your top horizonal stay is just below your shoulders. If I put an arc with 3.5" from the mesh to the mid horizontal stay, the top horizontal stay is just over my shoulders. Thanks for the pics. I can accept the fit of my pack but I suspect a SMALL may put that horizontal stay below the shoulders as I see in your pictures.

Thanks!

This is how the Medium fits me...I have a 19" torso, as mentioned above.

Looks like your pack fits you as it does me. I am starting to feel better about the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by steady123 View Post
    Looks like your pack fits you as it does me. I am starting to feel better about the fit.
    Mine is probably a little big for me but since I prefer to have zero weight on my shoulders (it exhausts me quicker) I aim for slightly longer torso lengths

I took the plunge and sent my back to Zpacks for a SMALL. I wish there were more youtubes with the person measuring his/her torso and then showcasing the different size packs. I've seen a couple of videos but they are somewhat contradictory. The Zpacks video showcases measuring the torso and then selecting the pack. The dialog mentions going down to a smaller size but a text box shows up on the video to say don't do it. I saw one video where a hiker pictures himself with both a small and medium pack. He mentions he is 6 feet tall. The medium top horizontal stay rides above his shoulders a couple of inches. The small pack rides below his shoulders a couple of inches. Of course what is good for his is not necessarily good for the rest of us. sigh.

++ New Posts ++