WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Storm

Default Big Storm

The big Snow and Ice storm is to hit most of the East by Saturday. Near the trail, Snow might get up to 8-12"+ here in S.C. PA. After that, major Ice storm is to follow. The governor of PA has declared a statewide emergency starting at 1:00 p.m. and going through Sunday at 1:00 p.m. All commercial traffic, including buses is banned from the interstates and the turnpike. Many trains have already cancelled their routes ahead of the storm. What is the weather predicting for your area regarding this monster storm?

Hope to see 2+ feet here in the mountains of NH. About time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Snow to rain event, with a lot of wind, in R.I. starting Saturday evening. Then icy conditions as temperatures drop overnight. Expecting a very messy Sunday. Good day to stay home, drink hot chocolate and watch a good movie.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

We’re getting stupid rain/snow mix here on the CT coast. I wanted SNOW!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The Crud hit the Blue Ridge Mountains yesterday. School out at noon in Boone. It took my daughter and grandkids 3+ hours to make the 45 minute drive home due to stupid accidents.
    I imagine that Grayson Highlands to Roan Mountain are interesting about now.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne

Just single digits and chance of flurries here.

Images

Looking for 2 feet more here in Maine. With three feet already on my roof, gotta get out there and start raking like a madman. I live in Maine's 100 inch belt. Right in the middle of the state. Now that I'm thinking about it, I get irked every time people refer to the AT running from southern Maine when it actually runs West to East for NOBOs and East to West if your a SOBO. End rant.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Just a few cm of snow here in Southern Ontario on the north side of the storm. (But 30 cm just 100 km south.) It will be the -22°C temperatures and strong winds on the backside that’s going to be unpleasant …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a week of serious snowfall here in the Alps.
    Had to clear off the eastern roof of my old house, the western roof unloaded itself and the snow piles up now above the eaves.
    When trying to shake the loads of heavy wet snow off the fruit trees I was stuck chest-deep in the snow - feet not even down on the real ground.
    All trails got officially closed due to danger of falling trees/branches.
    All the while I was wondering what one would do if stuck in the outdoors?

All the best to all of you!

Images

Sunny and 70’s here. Y’all bundle up and stay warm.

a little more snow then the coast in mid CT but now I think the temps are looking a bit warmer during it so it's gonna be more of a rain/freezing rain mess after the snow...
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Yes, we are expecting a slick and sloppy mess.

This is Texas....the arctic air hit some of the state. It is 8:30 AM USA Central time on Saturday 1/19/2019, it is 19 degrees in the panhandle of Texas. here in DFW, it is around 35 and winds at 20, gusting to 40 so a good wind chill. It is 70 degrees in south Texas along the Rio Grande. Keeps the citrus growing....
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

A low of 4F here at my place this morning. But it's warmed up to 9 now Still cold enough that the light breeze out there now makes the wind chill sub zero.

1/4" of flurries overnight. No sign of the storm yet, not getting here until tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    We had a week of serious snowfall here in the Alps.
    Had to clear off the eastern roof of my old house, the western roof unloaded itself and the snow piles up now above the eaves.
    When trying to shake the loads of heavy wet snow off the fruit trees I was stuck chest-deep in the snow - feet not even down on the real ground.
    All trails got officially closed due to danger of falling trees/branches.
    All the while I was wondering what one would do if stuck in the outdoors?

All the best to all of you!
    And we complain about a foot of snow here in the states!

Leo's report brings back memories of the Blizzard of '78, an event dear to the heart of all New Englanders who were around back then.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I'm in the center of the projected path in NH, and it's looking more like 10 to 18 inches, which is basically just a typical winter storm over the course of two days. Off the trail, a non-event, if you're remotely prepared.

On the trail, still something I wouldn't mess with, with visibility and drifts 10-20 mph winds, gusts to 35 mph and a projected 17 to 27 inch snow total over two days at elevation. It's easy to laugh off winter storms from the comfort of my home, but I'm a giant wimp (seriously cautious) about conditions on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    This is Texas....the arctic air hit some of the state. It is 8:30 AM USA Central time on Saturday 1/19/2019, it is 19 degrees in the panhandle of Texas. here in DFW, it is around 35 and winds at 20, gusting to 40 so a good wind chill. It is 70 degrees in south Texas along the Rio Grande. Keeps the citrus growing....
    I’m downwind of DFW in the East Texas Rainforest.
    Tighten up! 👍😄
    This ain’t cold. Yet.
    Last January we had a string of mornings with lows of 12-7-15 degrees. The highs never got above freezing.
    Doesn’t look like any snow from this system.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I'm in the center of the projected path in NH, and it's looking more like 10 to 18 inches, which is basically just a typical winter storm over the course of two days. Off the trail, a non-event, if you're remotely prepared.

On the trail, still something I wouldn't mess with, with visibility and drifts 10-20 mph winds, gusts to 35 mph and a projected 17 to 27 inch snow total over two days at elevation. It's easy to laugh off winter storms from the comfort of my home, but I'm a giant wimp (seriously cautious) about conditions on the trail.
    I wonder what the old homestead in Chicopee, MASS will look like when this system goes through?
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I wonder what the old homestead in Chicopee, MASS will look like when this system goes through?
    Wayne
    One of my college roommates was from Chicopee. From how he described it, it will be crime ridden and covered in beautiful fresh powder.

Well, it's started here. Lets see if it lives up to the hype.

According to my local forecast, it will continue to snow into Monday, then start again on Wednesday, then change to rain on Thursday, then go back to subzero next Saturday and Sunday. That's just peachy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++