WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The trail isn’t a magical place where people find themselves. Maybe a few do but it’s largely a social hike where people form trail families. Those who hike it to escape from something usually find they’ve brought it with them.

The changes are mostly subtle not life altering. Most people I met enjoy their home life and returned to it much the same with either a confirmation or a slightly different perspective of what they value.

I was 58 when I did my thru. I had finished a 37 year career in business, raised two children and was pretty comfortable with how I felt about "things". When I got home after 140 days, I didn't think I had changed much if any, within 6 months I realized I had. I think all for the better.

I was much more open about people "different" than me. I wasn't a bigot beforehand, but we all spend most of our time around people we work with, family, neighbors, church members, etc. You may think they are diverse, but we gravitate toward ones like ourselves.

On the trail there is not selection process. Young, old, well educated, naïve or simple, wealthy, poor, fit, fat, straight, gay, hot girlfriends, bad marriages, etc. What I found was that out there, we all had the same goal. We all had the same things on our back. The trail was the same and the weather treated us all the same. No one had a bigger house, a nicer car, a bigger paycheck, better clothes, a bigger title with a corner office. We were all the same and I'll be damned if we didn't get along great. People really can be really good when we strip away the things in modern society that divide and separate us. The feel good folks, were not just the hikers, but the people in many of the towns/hostels seemed to have the same positive, helpful attitudes.

I'm not certain people find themselves out there, but I do think I found something out about other people.... and it was good.

I also think people who spend that much time out there and face so many challenges, come away with a very quiet confidence. Not just about the trail, but about the ability to deal with life in general. I was not lacking in self confidence when I left home, but I do not worry about things anymore. I have a belief that I will find a way to deal with whatever happens. I think it comes from the fact that on a thru, every day is the same.... but every day is different. It's amazing that you can deal with all of that with only a backpack of tools.

Just my personal experience.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I'm not certain people find themselves out there, but I do think I found something out about other people.... and it was good.
    Nicely put.. the whole thing

Journal Entries

Haha!

If anything, hiking the AT (or any long distance trail) is going to show you what is really important in life.

Don’t worry about anyone else’s experience. If you feel compelled to do this, then do it. Your feeling is not wrong. It’s very old. It’s very ignored by current society. And you are right to feel it. Go with it, and get what you can from it. But expect nothing. It will give you what it will, and what is right for you.

Anatta....

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    I was 58 when I did my thru. I had finished a 37 year career in business, raised two children and was pretty comfortable with how I felt about "things". When I got home after 140 days, I didn't think I had changed much if any, within 6 months I realized I had. I think all for the better.

I was much more open about people "different" than me. I wasn't a bigot beforehand, but we all spend most of our time around people we work with, family, neighbors, church members, etc. You may think they are diverse, but we gravitate toward ones like ourselves.

On the trail there is not selection process. Young, old, well educated, naïve or simple, wealthy, poor, fit, fat, straight, gay, hot girlfriends, bad marriages, etc. What I found was that out there, we all had the same goal. We all had the same things on our back. The trail was the same and the weather treated us all the same. No one had a bigger house, a nicer car, a bigger paycheck, better clothes, a bigger title with a corner office. We were all the same and I'll be damned if we didn't get along great. People really can be really good when we strip away the things in modern society that divide and separate us. The feel good folks, were not just the hikers, but the people in many of the towns/hostels seemed to have the same positive, helpful attitudes.

I also think people who spend that much time out there and face so many challenges, come away with a very quiet confidence. Not just about the trail, but about the ability to deal with life in general. I was not lacking in self confidence when I left home, but I do not worry about things anymore. I have a belief that I will find a way to deal with whatever happens. I think it comes from the fact that on a thru, every day is the same.... but every day is different. It's amazing that you can deal with all of that with only a backpack of tools.

Just my personal experience.
    Great writing!...I expect similar in my sobo July! Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I find peace... relaxation... just chilling as I walk and think. I also love how much I appreciate the small stuff in life - like showers, hot water, WATER! - fresh food, kind people... I could go on and on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++