WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Federal shutdown also hits Appalachian Trail - WHSV

Federal shutdown also hits Appalachian Trail  WHSV

The government shutdown has temporarily cut funding to the National Park *Service*. And that means insurance and support offered to volunteers who clear the ...

More...

I firmly believe the shutdown is affecting AT in ways; however, this video made claims with no specifics and no support. (It should have indicated what was being affected..)

The government has managed to even stop volunteers, those who normally work without pay, from being allowed to work. And they accomplished this during a government shutdown.

This shutdown clearly hasn't gone on long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    This shutdown clearly hasn't gone on long enough.
    I think the hundreds of thousands government employees forced to work without pay may disagree with you. Trail volunteers are covered by government insurance when they do trail maintenance. They lose this coverage during a shutdown. I think the article clearly states this.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

Most if not all of them will eventually get their back pay. To me this is just a paid vacation. Of course those who never have saved for a rainy day are hurting of course.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I think the hundreds of thousands government employees forced to work without pay may disagree with you. Trail volunteers are covered by government insurance when they do trail maintenance. They lose this coverage during a shutdown. I think the article clearly states this.
    Every job has its pros and cons. A con is knowing as a government employee that if the thing gets shutdown, your gunna go without pay until it gets fired back up again. *Hands in the air* Its not a blind sided maneuver. Its always a possibility. And when it happens if people haven't prepared for it then they reap the lack of benefits of not preparing for it.

It is unfortunate that a patch in the woods suffers from free labor due to this insurance debacle that we as a country have please under a heavy thumb. I also know of many volunteers that will scoff at insurance protocol and will go cut out blow downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    Most if not all of them will eventually get their back pay. To me this is just a paid vacation. Of course those who never have saved for a rainy day are hurting of course.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    Most if not all of them will eventually get their back pay. To me this is just a paid vacation. ........
    Not sure those in the Coast Guard, TSA, Border Patrol etc. who are still working and not getting paid would view it as a vacation.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Not sure those in the Coast Guard, TSA, Border Patrol etc. who are still working and not getting paid would view it as a vacation.
    But they will, eventually.

Sure. Someday. Probably. In the mean time, they're working full time with no pay and no end in sight.

Images

But they will, eventually.

but, this will not help them with bills that are due now........

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Every job has its pros and cons. A con is knowing as a government employee that if the thing gets shutdown, your gunna go without pay until it gets fired back up again. *Hands in the air* Its not a blind sided maneuver. Its always a possibility. And when it happens if people haven't prepared for it then they reap the lack of benefits of not preparing for it.
    This is ridiculous. Government employees should not have to prepare for a government shutdown. A TSA agent starting salary is between $30 and $44K, not much more than someone working at McDonalds. How much money should they set aside in their "government shutdown fund"? Expenses for one month, three months, a year? This shutdown is unprecedented. Nearly 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.
    https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...ck-to-paycheck

Default Federal shutdown also hits Appalachian Trail - WHSV

And for what it's worth, a healthy percentage of NPS and Forest Service employees (especially during the winter season) work under a seasonal, temporary, or intermittent job status, those of which will not be receiving back-pay. The only people who will receive compensation after the fact are the higher-ups (full-time permanent employees).

Private sector jobs do not offer 100% job security either. If an employer can't pay then you have to make choices. We are all in that same boat.

But I can still use a chain saw and pick up fallen limbs, so long as I'm not volunteering on government land.

Images

I also know of many volunteers that will scoff at insurance protocol and will go cut out blow downs. QUOTE:Gambit

I for one have not worked my section since the shut down. Hours worked are supposed to be reported to the maintaining organization ( in my case the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club) who in turn reports to the ATC.

My intention was to wait for all the leaves to fall. Weather didn't cooperate and personal reasons popped up. So I haven't been on my section since September.

No doubt the water bars are clogged and there are blow-downs that need to be cleared, but they will have to wait. If we have snow that will further complicate matters.

This is probably true for much of the AT.

This is ridiculous. Government employees should not have to prepare for a government shutdown. A TSA agent starting salary is between $30 and $44K, not much more than someone working at McDonalds. How much money should they set aside in their "government shutdown fund"? Expenses for one month, three months, a year? This shutdown is unprecedented. Nearly 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.
    https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...ck-to-paycheck
    Its no different than manufacturing. Our plant, and most shut down for inventory and cleaning annually and without pay. No one is crying a river due to the shutdown. They know it can or will happen and they prepare for it. Its not ridiculous, that is just your opinion. If people want to cry about the shutdown, get another job.

We have had many shutdowns in previous years, I don't remember anyone boohooing then...
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Its no different than manufacturing. Our plant, and most shut down for inventory and cleaning annually and without pay. No one is crying a river due to the shutdown. They know it can or will happen and they prepare for it. Its not ridiculous, that is just your opinion. If people want to cry about the shutdown, get another job.
    We have had many shutdowns in previous years, I don't remember anyone boohooing then...
    This shutdown is different than your plant shutting down annually. I imagine your employer doesn't just call you up one night and say don't come into work tomorrow. We are shutting the plant down indefinitely for cleaning. There have been 20 other shutdowns in the past 42 years averaging 6.5 days. So most likely during these previous shutdowns paychecks were received on time and the shutdown did not impact employees to the extent as this present one. This is just my opinion, but I find your opinion that government employees are to blame for not being prepared for a potential shutdown, ridiculous.

This shutdown is different than your plant shutting down annually. I imagine your employer doesn't just call you up one night and say don't come into work tomorrow. We are shutting the plant down indefinitely for cleaning. There have been 20 other shutdowns in the past 42 years averaging 6.5 days. So most likely during these previous shutdowns paychecks were received on time and the shutdown did not impact employees to the extent as this present one. This is just my opinion, but I find your opinion that government employees are to blame for not being prepared for a potential shutdown, ridiculous.

They know its a possibility, and this is more then likely not the first, or longest they have experienced. I respect your views though

It's the longest one ever, and there's no end in sight. The idea that they should have been prepared for it is certifiable and self centered.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It's the longest one ever, and there's no end in sight. The idea that they should have been prepared for it is certifiable and self centered.

Your rite it sure is
    Shutdown Days Employees
    furloughed
    Cost to
    government
    1980 1 1,600 $700,000
    1981 1 241,000 $80–90 million
    1984 1 500,000 $65 million
    1986 1 500,000 $62 million
    1990 3 2,800 $2.57 million
    Nov 1995 5 800,000 $400 million
    1995–1996 21 284,000