WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cold weather = strange threads on WB

Burning garbage, snake heads, Apple and banana litter, mosquitoes, giant backpacks . We really need to get out more. Hope spring comes early.

I went up and down Kearsage again yesterday with a foot of fresh snow, it was stupid cold, windy with no distant views. Yay?

Too darn cold for me, but at least the sun was shining for a change. Brilliant blue sky and not too windy, unlike yesterday. -5 was the low at my place this morning. 6PM and it's down to 1. Gonna be another cold one tonight. oops, it just went down to an even 0.

I'll wait until it warms up a tad and we get some more snow, hopefully this weekend. Although I have been out moving a lot of snow around this last week.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Too darn cold for me, but at least the sun was shining for a change. Brilliant blue sky and not too windy, unlike yesterday. -5 was the low at my place this morning. 6PM and it's down to 1. Gonna be another cold one tonight. oops, it just went down to an even 0.

I'll wait until it warms up a tad and we get some more snow, hopefully this weekend. Although I have been out moving a lot of snow around this last week.
    Yeah, I'm not entirely loving this winter hiking thing so far. The snow shoveling at least keeps me in shape, while I avoid the ice mosquitoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Burning garbage, snake heads, Apple and banana litter, mosquitoes, giant backpacks . We really need to get out more. Hope spring comes early.

Well....some are those are old threads...

but that also leads to someone being cooped up and responding to a thread that's 8 years old...

Images

It's even been too cold for seeing snowsnakes up here in the mountains of Maine.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    Well....some are those are old threads...

but that also leads to someone being cooped up and responding to a thread that's 8 years old...
    my favorite, which i just saw in one of those old threads recently, is when a user who has a very low total post count, even though they have been a member forever, finds an 8 year old thread and just says something like "yeah me too."

thats some serious cabin fever there.

Winter sucks IMO. I can never wait for spring, and typically use the winter getting fat, drinking more whiskey and planning aggressive hiking plans/ mileage/ trips for the upcoming year. This year I have redirected some of those efforts to reading. I am about to be finished with "Lost on the Appalachian Trail" and I have really enjoyed it. I have a couple other books lined up for this winter prior to spring arriving. A lot of anticipation for NH in September...
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Actually, The one about tossing organic garbage (apples, banana peels, orange peels, etc.), i find very educative. As i said in that tread, I used to think it is no big deal to toss organic garbage in nature thinking it will decompose in a few days, but now I know better and i do not do it anymore, and i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    my favorite, which i just saw in one of those old threads recently, is when a user who has a very low total post count, even though they have been a member forever, finds an 8 year old thread and just says something like "yeah me too."

thats some serious cabin fever there.
    Sometimes this sort of thing happens when a member is looking to hit 30 posts in order to sell something.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Winter sucks IMO. I can never wait for spring, and typically use the winter getting fat, drinking more whiskey and planning aggressive hiking plans/ mileage/ trips for the upcoming year. This year I have redirected some of those efforts to reading. I am about to be finished with "Lost on the Appalachian Trail" and I have really enjoyed it. I have a couple other books lined up for this winter prior to spring arriving. A lot of anticipation for NH in September...
    Good book. I’m almost done with it too.

We are planning to go hike to Spy Rock in two weekends. But it’s with the scouts, and if it snows, we’ll probably cancel due to dangerous roads.

Quote Originally Posted by swatsullivan View Post
    Good book. I’m almost done with it too.

We are planning to go hike to Spy Rock in two weekends. But it’s with the scouts, and if it snows, we’ll probably cancel due to dangerous roads.

What a great spot I came past Spy Rock on my last trip in VA. What a game changer it was to complete the state of VA, I was so eager to complete it back then and now I wish I had it to still do.
    It could be tricky getting up Spy Rock in snow....

IMG_6347.JPG
    IMG_6348.JPG
    IMG_6351.JPG

Sorry about the Thumbnail pic below I cant get it to delete or not show up weird in the thumbnail catagory
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Ain't that right! If I waited until spring to get in my outdoor therapy I'd be institutionalized by then.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    This year I have redirected some of those efforts to reading. I am about to be finished with "Lost on the Appalachian Trail" and I have really enjoyed it. I have a couple other books lined up for this winter prior to spring arriving. A lot of anticipation for NH in September...
    I just started reading Hiking The Appalachian Trail, Volume 1 today. Pretty neat from an historical perspective. Not sure which will happen first, the end of Winter, or me completing the 2 volume set.

Furlough
    Last edited by Furlough; 01-14-2019 at 17:25.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

I just reading Hiking The Appalachian Trail, Volume 1 today. Pretty neat from an historical perspective. Not sure which will happen first, the end of Winter, or me completing the 2 volume set.

these books were my white whale for a long time...........i remember them being on sale in bookstores but didnt buy them...

so i scouted used book stores for years (and still do)............

saw one copy come up at my local bookstore but it was held for someone else....

when ebay and the internet came around----i finally bought a few sets just to have and what not (dont ask what i paid for them though)...

still havent read them fully through though...

Images

Funny, pretty much the same for me. Finally got the set on ebay. Ditto on non-disclosure of the price.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

++ New Posts ++