WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hygiene... Lavalin and whatnot

Been looking at various products just curious if anybody uses them or has had previous field trials with the ones listed below or any good ones to add.

Lavalin deodorant...
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...%2Ck%3Alavilin

Mitchem deodorant...
    48hr long lasting

All Day Hand sanitizing spray....
    https://www.amazon.com/All-Day-6-pac...8T7RJY2GEM4AC5

Sheilding lotions....
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2XP33G29SRCIY

I can definitely vouch for pure lanolin anhydrous to keep your feet in good condition...
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=VR4GYO6WHXJ6
    Last edited by wordstew; 01-12-2019 at 20:21.

I know nothing about those products but over the years I have carried wet wipes, slivers of bar soap, travel deodorant, hand sanitizer, dawn, bleach, and Dr Bronner's and I found them more trouble than its worth. I smelled nice or had clean hands for 5 minutes and then went right back to being a disgusting dirt-walker after the first 10 minutes of walking. I've not carried anything other than TP for a few years and never had any problems. I still feel gross and try and rinse off in rivers and springs when I can but I just live with it. I think its really an uphill battle, especially in the summer.

I think a dip in a stream or having a wet towel at night to clean off is as effective as any soap or whatever.

Mitchum is really quite effective ... you can test this at home or on a weekend bp trip. But it's my understanding that most don't bother with that stuff on the trail. Maybe a nightly wipedown of key areas with a little water and soap before getting into sleep clothes, but that's it.

Tiny bottle of whatever hand sanitizer they sell at Dollar General and a purse size pack of baby wipes was great for me. Deodorant has no chance,until they make it weightless,I will do without.

Individual hygiene products hauled and used on hikes can become excessive. Look for one or two products that dress all these aims.

One product that has multiple uses including being a moisturizer, mild deodorant, lip and nose balm, shielding lotion, some insect repellent properties, anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, wound dressing, heel crack preventer, anti maceration balm proactively applied, etc and has lavandula hybrid (lavandin) oil as well as other ingredients that I can pronounce and exist in Nature is: https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-10640-burt-s-bees-res-q-ointment-0-6-oz?scid=scbplp59763&sc_intid=59763&utm_campaign=Sh opping_Campaign_USA_Top_Brands&msclkid=e232ea7627b 91c105ad8b64c9dc50618&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=c pc&utm_term=4581596235902497&utm_content=SC%20-%20Shopping%20Campaign%20-%20USA%20-%20LTV%20High

I take it along on most hikes in the .6 oz $5 tin. Package wt is minimal. It's compact about the size of three stacked 50 ct coins. One tin this size last me about 10 days used sparingly applied daily.

I carry a small bar of soap, usually Ivory. Mostly because I hate "body wash" which most hostels stock in the shower and sometimes you can score a shower if you have soap. (Campgrounds, in the SNP and state parks). Plus there are times when just washing your hands and face makes you feel so much better.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wysi Wipes.It's a dehydrated towel roughly a half inch square(only it's round) and weighs mostly nothing.A few drops of hot water in the morning at breakfast with a tiny amount of soap and I have clean hands to eat with and clean up with it later.Incredibly tough so I do pack them out along with my tp.I prefer them to any sort of wet wipe because they are dry and mostly weightless until you use it and you can wring the water out as necessary.

Some years ago a member of this forum advised me of Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal which is in odorless deodorant that works very well.It's cheap,effective,and I use it at home also.If you break a piece off to take on the trail be SURE to work the sharp edges off before use as it has an obsidian like sharpness to the broken edge.

Lastly,a small household sponge and a LightLoad towel can provide some major hygiene and does not weigh much and packs down small.I keep mine in the food bag so it will be handy at meal time.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Wysi Wipes.It's a dehydrated towel roughly a half inch square(only it's round) and weighs mostly nothing.A few drops of hot water in the morning at breakfast with a tiny amount of soap and I have clean hands to eat with and clean up with it later.Incredibly tough so I do pack them out along with my tp.I prefer them to any sort of wet wipe because they are dry and mostly weightless until you use it and you can wring the water out as necessary.

Some years ago a member of this forum advised me of Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal which is in odorless deodorant that works very well.It's cheap,effective,and I use it at home also.If you break a piece off to take on the trail be SURE to work the sharp edges off before use as it has an obsidian like sharpness to the broken edge.

Lastly,a small household sponge and a LightLoad towel can provide some major hygiene and does not weigh much and packs down small.I keep mine in the food bag so it will be handy at meal time.
    I'll second the Wysi Wipes... they work great

Wordstew, what are the general aims? You listed two deodorants, a 'sanitizer', and two moisturizers.

I carry a "small" bottle of sanitizer, Hike Goo for my feet (the best), insect repellent, and sunscreen; all in the smallest available packaging. Thats it. Anything else is unnecessary added weight. Remember: "death by 1000 grams"; and everything adds up.

@C Panda I poured over the Hike Goo site. No posting of Hike Goo ingredient list. Do you have a tube to read off the list you can post?

Mahalo

Default 1898: so much for LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I carry a small bar of soap, usually Ivory.
    Me too. Look what I found on the Ivory wikip page:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...am_Cuerden.jpg
    Ivory is very effective, w/ mild scent ... but I'd suggest carrying water well away from the source before washing.

W8lkinUSA

Lanolin is great for chapped lips as well as cuts.

Mitchem is very effective, but an Alum bar would provide dual purpose -- armpits and face (if pimples are frequent). I reckon that using Mitchem once every other week is sufficient.

EDIT:
    For soap, Castille soap would work on hair.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 01-13-2019 at 20:21.

Here we go Dogwood ! Hike Goo ingredients:
    Water
    Petrolatum
    Mineral Oil
    Ozokerite
    Lanolin
    Alcohol
    Propylene Glycol
    Diazolidinyl Urea
    Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

Don't know what half of this stuff is; use it everyday hiking and I rarely if ever get blisters. Net wt for a new tube 3.0 oz.

Petrolatum interchangeably is the same as petroleum jelly, derived from petroleum specifically hydrocarbons, if my org chem education is being recalled correctly. i.e.; Vaseline brand petroleum jelly.

Mineral oil sourced in the U.S. typically refers to a distillate of, also petroleum. These two are basically waste or by products of the petroleum and maybe mining, construction industries.

Ozokerite is typically another waste product from oil shale mining I believe in Europe and maybe the U.S. Rockies. It's 'waxy' used as a lower price substitute for costlier beeswax and it's higher melting pt. It's thick and is typically used to add solidifying traits. It would be hard to squeeze from a tube so it must be altered to make it viscous in a solution, hence some of Hike Goo's marketing on their website. I'm not sure how and if it is different than paraffin wax which is also petroleum derived. Ozokerite may be derived from other minerals though.

lanolin I believe is always sourced from wool- sheep wool, actually a fat gland secretion - for it's emollient -moisturizing and emulsifier properties, as far as think I'm getting correct

I can see how it doesn't melt readily, coats rather thickly, and requires less frequent applications. Gaining those traits while still permeable to sweat to a high degree I'm skeptical. Sweat passing through a complete uniform coating of Hike Goo uhh, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I carry a small bar of soap, usually Ivory. Mostly because I hate "body wash" which most hostels stock in the shower and sometimes you can score a shower if you have soap. (Campgrounds, in the SNP and state parks). Plus there are times when just washing your hands and face makes you feel so much better.
    Same here. Those little hotel soap bars are handy too.
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    EDIT:
    For soap, Castille soap would work on hair.
    I have used ivory soap on my hair for years, but I have short hair - not sure how it would work for folks with long hair.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I have used ivory soap on my hair for years, but I have short hair - not sure how it would work for folks with long hair.
    I only bring up Castille soap for its biodegradable and low-impact properties. However, I'd still advise using it away from water sources. Castille soap can also be found as a soap bar if that's preferred; it's in my travel kit since I car-camp with this kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Wordstew, what are the general aims? You listed two deodorants, a 'sanitizer', and two moisturizers.
    Hey Buddy
    I don't carry all the items I listed, just checkin to see what folks have used for field products and what they believe works and has some value to use in the field. I find it helps me dial in my system.

While not the greatest voice of experienced having accomplished only three section hikes to date (10 days+/- each) I like the system I use. Obviously toothbrush and paste, hand sanitizer, and Gold Bond (all travel size). Travel Size wet wipes are a must but I like Five Tango's reference to Wysi Wipes. Will be checking that out. No soap or deodorant etc..., just not necessary. I use two small Norwex towels, one wet, one dry. I wear my hair high & tight so no issues there. If you're worried about the odor, forget it, you stink. If worried about monkey butt, clean up and Gold Bond at night, Body Glide in the morning if needed and you'll be fine. FrogLevel is right, don't be afraid to strip down and take a dip too, just make sure you're downstream.

++ New Posts ++