WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana WTB top/under quilts

Help!, March 5th I fly to start my AT thru-hike
    I have switched from tent to hammock recently and am in need of quilts. I did not realize how long the wait is from EE and a few other sites!

I am looking for 20 degree small (I am 5’2”). Thank you for any help.

Try Jack's R Better. Good products, fast service.

There are 3 top quilts being sold right now on hammockforums.net from member Peppy. Jacks and EE.

In a pinch, keep in mind that a sleeping bag can also be used as a top quilt if you just unzip it to the footbox. Your legs may not like laying on the zipper, but it'll keep you warm.

I have noticed some mainstream companies offering (top) quilts for sale on the major online retail sites ... e.g., Sierra Designs' backcountry quilts in 20F and 35F temps. They are sized to fit up to 6'4", but they are available to buy right now, and you might be able to just let the excess bunch up over you somewhere. Or you could neatly fold it down. There are others out there too.

For an underquilt, you can check around other cottage companies besides EE, and see what they have ready to go. Beyond that - Snugpak makes a synthetic one sold through amazon that is readily available, but it's bulky. You can always use a CCF pad instead, in a pinch. I'd recommend a Ridgerest*. It insulates well, and the ridged surface will help pool any condensation away from your body so your backside won't get wet. The Z-lite will do this too, but I've read that if you move your legs around a lot, it can fold up on you a little bit, and you have to try to push it back out. That's not much of an issue with a roll-up pad.

* early March start - could be very cold at times and a single pad may be inadequate if you go that route. The Solar is thicker than the Classic, but is bulkier and less flexible in the hammock too. It is harder to stay warm in cold weather in a hammock than in a tent, so beware. If you get an underquilt, head to hammockforums to find out what rating you should get for that start.

I strongly recommend you get some nights in prior to your trip, field-testing your hammock setup. Hammocking can be a steep learning curve, doubly so in winter. You will want your system to be a well-oiled machine by the time you hit the trail. In particular, mastering the underquilt is no easy thing, avoiding drafts, getting it to hang just right under your hammock so your body is close enough to warm the insulation inside of it. I gave up on that quickly, finding it far too fiddly. I just use a pad now, it's so much easier, even if a bit less comfy.

Don't forget the tarp too, for rain and wind protection. You may want a winter tarp to start, one large enough that you can close off the ends to keep heat-robbing wind out.

Good luck!

Thank you....I just registered and am waiting for Administration approval to post replies.

Oh geez, I am nervous since I am a cold sleeper. I do have a great sleeping bag that may have to be my start off. I have only practiced hammock camping a couple times in the summer. The under quilt will be a sharp learning curve. I am confident with the rest of my gear and have used it all enough times to not stress there, thank goodness. I plan to still use my sleeping pad which is an R4. Good idea about the tarp....thank you for your advice!

Be sure to browse Shug's videos on youtube. (shugemery). He's quite a fun/funny character, and knows his stuff. Very helpful.

One thing I neglected to mention - if using a pad in a hammock, you'll want extra width, to insulate the sides of your shoulders ... or stuff some extra clothing there if you have it. But I readily concede - the vast majority prefer underquilts to pads, and not by a little. It's a strong preference. But a pad will let you go to ground if needed/desired.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have a brand new Warbonnet 3-season (20*, brown) Yeti underquilt I can sell for $200, shipped in US. I don't have the original stuff sack, but will stuff it in a suitable replacement for the shipping.

Peppy on Hammock Forums seems to always a few quilts for sale...

HammockGear.com has the InStock section on their website that gets updated every Thursday. You have to be quick if you're looking to snatch up one of those.. they go fast. LocoLibre and a few others also have in-stock items.

You can use a pad in a pinch, but I can't lie.. it's a PITA for a few reasons...
    And, yes, you can use a sleeping bag as a quilte (I did for the first few hangs) and it will work fine other than the extra ounces and worry of piercing the hammock with the zipper.

The learning curve isn't that bad.. Definitely watch Shug's quilt videos. The most common error I see is over cinching the ends of the quilt. With the help of a friend, one person in the hammock and the other looking at the quilt end, you can get it 99% on the first try.

Happy to help with any questions and have a great thru hike!!

Dutch also has a few quilts in stock from various vendors. As of this morning he has 20 and 0 top and under quilts available from Cedar Ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter 35R & Catskill 3500 Club Starvin Marvin's Avatar

Sent you a pm with exactly what you're looking for.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

Walk it off.

++ New Posts ++