WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Charlie's Bunyan Dayhike mid February

Am I crazy to attempt it? My birthday is mid February and I LOVE Pigeon Forge, so my husband is taking me on a long weekend and my gift is an all day hike. I would like to do the 8 mile round trip to Charlie's Bunyan, and I know weather is unpredictable, but has anyone done this and been blessed with a relatively warm (50's) day and sunshine? I don't expect to be the 1 out of 1000 that gets lucky but if my odds are 50/50, I'll chance it. Anyone with any experience nearing this?
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Images

i think your odds will be better than 50.50..

for example......yesterday and early today were really warm here in the valley...........

and no snow........

so easily doable....

and even with snow, and the road is open (thats the main point)-----it can still be done....

ive gone out to icewater shelter (which is a mile or so before the bunyon) when there was 4 feet of snow on trail...

i was prepared so it wasnt a problem per se......

but have fun....

worse comes the worse----just do a lower elevation hike....

i would suggest ramsay cascades if youve never been there....

and thats more of an all day hike than then bunyon which can be done in a few hours....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

As you say, weather is unpredictable.

From what I can see online, looks like weather over the last few days has been great for a hike anywhere in GSMNP. Temperatures, even at the highest elevations, have pretty much stayed above freezing, so there's likely no ice and snow on the ground to cause problems.
    So there's always a chance the weather is just as nice a month from now.

But of course, a month from now, there could be a foot of snow and ice on the trail making it difficult and dangerous.

Just make sure that even if the weather has been looking good if/when you go, make sure you have warm enough gear/clothing to survive a cold night in the woods just in case something happens (good advice ANY time of year, but especially when you could find yourself stuck outside in some very cold temperatures... temperatures that can quickly kill if you encounter precipitation and you're unprepared for it).

You are not crazy at all for hiking to the Bunion in February. Traction devices are a must if it's freezing; lots of ice on that walk. But loving Pigeon Forge, well, consider mental evaluations for that.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    You are not crazy at all for hiking to the Bunion in February. Traction devices are a must if it's freezing; lots of ice on that walk. But loving Pigeon Forge, well, consider mental evaluations for that.
    What can I say... I'm a tourist and Pigeon Forge is Tourism HEAVEN! I will definitely be loaded for bear... and ice. Thanks!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i think your odds will be better than 50.50..

for example......yesterday and early today were really warm here in the valley...........

and no snow........

so easily doable....

and even with snow, and the road is open (thats the main point)-----it can still be done....

ive gone out to icewater shelter (which is a mile or so before the bunyon) when there was 4 feet of snow on trail...

i was prepared so it wasnt a problem per se......

but have fun....

worse comes the worse----just do a lower elevation hike....

i would suggest ramsay cascades if youve never been there....

and thats more of an all day hike than then bunyon which can be done in a few hours....
    Good to know. Being from GA, I know we get our coldest and iciest weather in January and February, so I was a little worried the Smokies might be a bad idea. I just have to take advantage of the time whenever I get it. Thanks!

Images

Being from GA, I know we get our coldest and iciest weather in January and February, so I was a little worried the Smokies might be a bad idea.

naww.....

i wouldnt worry too much....

its just like GA-----one week its nice outside..........next week is cold and snowy..........the week after that, snow is melted and back in the 50's..

i say all this and of course the week you want to come to the Park will be a blizzard......

but even so....the lower elevations are generally accessible.....

worse comes the worse----more go carts, salt water taffy and air brushed t shirts in town... :P

Journal Entries

naww.....

i wouldnt worry too much....

its just like GA-----one week its nice outside..........next week is cold and snowy..........the week after that, snow is melted and back in the 50's..

i say all this and of course the week you want to come to the Park will be a blizzard......

but even so....the lower elevations are generally accessible.....

worse comes the worse----more go carts, salt water taffy and air brushed t shirts in town... :P
    LOL!! Please!!! I'm going to Dollywood! I'll just be sure to have my crampons and my layers on me. Thanks!!

Images

LOL!! Please!!! I'm going to Dollywood!

oh....

they got all that stuff at dollywood as well....

along with crafts people...

Journal Entries

oh....

they got all that stuff at dollywood as well....

along with crafts people...
    ROTFL!!! So I should be all set then!

Images

ROTFL!!! So I should be all set then!

yeah...

and i think they even have a fake mountain that you could climb.......

and the water park could double as a waterfall......

Journal Entries

I prefer the real deal, but you sound like you've given the place a thorough once over yourself!

Weather is unacceptable go full tilt Gatlinburg. Ride the elevator to the top of "Space Needle Observation Tower" to work off the AYCE Buffet. Make sure to get your Selfies at the top. Make it a true event buying a T-shirt and southern style gourmet fudge at the Paula Deen Store. Top it off with a BIG slice at the Cheesecake Factory.

Images

I prefer the real deal, but you sound like you've given the place a thorough once over yourself!

my work does alot of work with them.......

so, ive been there alot for work..........

we have dollywood elements on our shows pretty much on a weekly basis.....

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Traction devices are a must if it's freezing; lots of ice on that walk.
    The spring for Icewater Shelter pours across the trail. It can be a mess getting through there when it’s freezy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got to say it with my tongue in cheek. It's not like you are planning a white mountain traverse in December. a bad day in the woods is better than an OK day in town. Or as Dad would say, just don't do anything too stupid.

Default Charlie's Bunyan Dayhike mid February

Sad news...Dollywood is closed until mid-March...

Images

Ripley 's Aquarium is very good.

IMHO about the only thing in Gatlinburg worth visiting.

Journal Entries

Ain't never been to Dollywood, but just checked their website, and yep, they're closed until March 16.

Unless there's been recent snow/ice, your biggest issue may be road access to Newfound Gap. We went up to NFG this past Saturday. Temperatures in Knoxville were forecast in the 50s/60s. As we approached through Sevierville, we could see sun reflecting brightly from some of the higher ridgelines. That's just frost, right? After driving 2/3rds of the way to NFG we began to see snow on the ground. Perhaps because of the gov't shutdown, the road had not been treated. A pickup from Florida got stuck on an icy patch and traffic came to a near halt for 15-20 minutes. My husband and another guy got him towed over to a parking area and we were able to proceed. At NFG there was a 2-inch layer of crusty slush (My silly daughter wore sandals! She had socks, and we gave her plastic bags to keep her feet sorta dry). We parked and went on a short hike (Beech Flats Quiet Walkway). When we returned, rangers were stationed blocking entry to the parking lot, and announced they were closing the road. Tons of people still in the Park, so we figured there was little chance of getting stuck behind a locked gate. We drove downhill and hiked part of the Alum Cave Bluff Trail.

If NFG is accessible, I wouldn't have any hesitation about hiking to Charlie's Bunyan. At that elevation, ice is probable regardless of weather elsewhere, so just watch your step. Trekking poles help a lot. Also, be sure to allow enough time for travel and hiking considering the early sunset. We were at Charlie's Bunyan around sunset last summer. Outstanding views of the peaks and valleys, the sun's rays in a rising mist. Enjoy!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Weather is unacceptable go full tilt Gatlinburg. Ride the elevator to the top of "Space Needle Observation Tower" to work off the AYCE Buffet. Make sure to get your Selfies at the top. Make it a true event buying a T-shirt and southern style gourmet fudge at the Paula Deen Store. Top it off with a BIG slice at the Cheesecake Factory.
    See, that sounds awesome... but I recently dropped about 60 pounds, so I likely won't be able to do about half of that. But if the weather is gross, you are on the right track!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++