WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gear theft

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Recently put in a Ring doorbell.

Interesting thing is you can share video with others near you

Lets just say, that opportunistic package theft is much more prevalent than would have imagined......in good areas even. You simply dont hear about most.

Same likely applies to trail thefts.
    I wonder what the lightest, most unobtrusive GPS tracking devices are these days. Throw one at the bottom of your sleeping bag, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalman View Post
    I wonder what the lightest, most unobtrusive GPS tracking devices are these days. Throw one at the bottom of your sleeping bag, for example.
    There are a number of options intended for luggage.

I purchased something a few years ago that is similar to a key finder. I push a button and the tag chirps. I think it has a range of 100 feet or something. I thought it would be useful if my bear canister were rolled into tall grass or behind a bush, but I suppose it could be used to find one's gear that had been stashed in another persons backpack as well.

I went into the Doyle, leaving my pack outside, and the first thing that the owner had me do was to bring my pack inside. I was eating in a bar/restaurant in Damascus and a couple of hikers came inside without their packs. A customer, Lonewolf(?), immediately asked them where their packs were and had them bring them inside citing a recent pack theft (this was 08). Listen to the locals, always when hitching/in town have valuables on you, and always try to have a visual on your gear. These rules apply to when around non-hikers. When on trail I am a bit more lax but still try to keep wallet/phone on my person if I will be away from pack/camp for any length of time. I prefer to err on the side of caution. But, I have never had anything stolen while on the trail or in town.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    What bear can did you use that was $350?
    The Wild Ideas Bearikade Expedition is the only one I know of that comes in at that price.
    Yeah, I purchased the Bearikade Expedition because I needed something I could carry enough food for 10 days to make it from MTR to Mt. Whitney.
    The Expedition size has 900 cubic inches of volume while things like the BearVault BV500 is only 700 cubic inches. You can rent these canisters, but I wanted one "in hand" to ensure I would be able to pack it in my pack when fully loaded with almost 20lbs of food (glad I did as my REI Flash pack wasn't going to handle it... purchased the Osprey Volt 75). After the trip, I managed to resell the canister such that the difference between my purchase/sell price was pretty much equivalent to the rental rate for a similar trip.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I went into the Doyle, leaving my pack outside, and the first thing that the owner had me do was to bring my pack inside. I was eating in a bar/restaurant in Damascus and a couple of hikers came inside without their packs. A customer, Lonewolf(?), immediately asked them where their packs were and had them bring them inside citing a recent pack theft (this was 08). Listen to the locals, always when hitching/in town have valuables on you, and always try to have a visual on your gear. These rules apply to when around non-hikers. When on trail I am a bit more lax but still try to keep wallet/phone on my person if I will be away from pack/camp for any length of time. I prefer to err on the side of caution. But, I have never had anything stolen while on the trail or in town.
    "Trust, but verify".

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    There's a law enforcement reality TV series opportunity here - Bait Pack.
    Unattended pack...with a bonus inside for the thief:

A layer of shrimp ramen on top and below that the real prize

1) used, unwashed hiker socks and underwear
    2) privy "compost"
    3) an angry opossum
    4) a bald faced hornets nest

... yeah, slow morning
    Ha ha ha Bait Pack.

Two nephews traveled around Europe one summer. They were warned the pickpockets were so good they could steal your watch from your wrist and jewelry from around your neck or while on your finger. A handbag or camera bag over the shoulder they could get that. My one nephew stuffed a small bag full of garbage as bait. Sure enough they stole it from his hand while carrying it.

Ever see Apollo on Brain Games? He'll alert you beforehand he's going to rob you. Then he'll get away through diversion robbing you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    The hiking community is a much safer - less invasive community than the real world.
    It seems we as the hiking community sometimes categorize our community as not "Real" world which in some cases is true.

Around 2010 a fellow hiker had his montbell thermawarp puffy stolen while he was packing up. He seemed a bit shocked by the theft. This was at hawk mountain shelter at the height of the bubble. There was one kinda suspicious guy who left without looking in anyone’s eyes in a hurry, saying he had to get his miles in. everyone else emptied their pack to make sure we didn’t accidentally scoop up someone else’s stuff bag. Sad reality.

Default gear theft

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Across N. America, not just on the AT, I find backpackers stealing gear from other backpackers to be rare, very rare in the back country. In more congregated areas of higher use like backcountry FS managed CG's the theft rate I think is higher. Where I do see theft among users having access to the backcountry is among hunters, fishermen, off road enthusiasts, skiers, snowshoers, snowmobilers, and hikers. Greater powered vehicle access to anywhere in the backcountry invites greater risk of theft. I probably know of or suspect more theft and vandalism occurrences to hunters maybe at the hands of other hunters and ATVer types than anything else i.e.; deer stands, decoys, blinds, breaking into cabins, hunting camps(taking gear and food), especially that have ATV access, and especially that have expensive powered equipment like generators, snowmobiles, power tools, etc. I've met hunters on the CO Tr, just off the BMT, and CDT that said they had stuff stolen from their hunting camps. It happens at backcountry ski chalets as well. Backcountry private seasonal CG's are at risk. I've seen that occur just off the AT in PA and NJ at CG's I was doing volunteering reconstruction cabin work. Backcountry sites near water access canoes, kayaks, and paddling gear are stolen. That's an issue in AK, WI, MT,.. I've lived on lakes and had two boats stolen. Most folks know this so secure these items or don't leave new most expensive items like these behind. Temporarily vacated back country cabins, seasonal hunting camps, fire towers, ranger stations, vehicles, RV's, public utility sites, etc are more prone to theft and vandalism. It's assumed you are aware of this since you're LE. I've seen it occur to back country ranching properties at wells, windmills, barns with stored equipment, along fence lines, etc. I see theft in legal backcountry growing operations(yes legal cannabis grows included) and agricultural sites.

PM sent.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you dont hunt. While hunters are stolen FROM quite frequently, the thieves are almost never other hunters. They're typically lowlives, addicts, or basically folks who dont want to work for a living. Hunters are easy targets because they tend to leave expensive things unattended for long periods of time. Tree stands, game cameras, all the paraphernelia that goes with a hunting camp. While the scum that prey on hunters might occasionally hunt themselves, it will often be illegally. Hunting from the road, at night, before the season opens or closes, etc. The proceeds from the theft generally are used to buy drugs. I've never known a true hunter to steal from another hunter, and I've hunted all my life. I dont use treestands, game cameras, or 4-wheelers nor do I belong to a hunting club, but I know plenty of people who do, and every time they've been stolen from its been non-hunters who did it.
    Last edited by bushwhacker88; 01-12-2019 at 07:35. Reason: thought of additional arguments

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bushwhacker88 View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you dont hunt. While hunters are stolen FROM quite frequently, the thieves are almost never other hunters. They're typically lowlives, addicts, or basically folks who dont want to work for a living. Hunters are easy targets because they tend to leave expensive things unattended for long periods of time. Tree stands, game cameras, all the paraphernelia that goes with a hunting camp. While the scum that prey on hunters might occasionally hunt themselves, it will often be illegally. Hunting from the road, at night, before the season opens or closes, etc. The proceeds from the theft generally are used to buy drugs. I've never known a true hunter to steal from another hunter, and I've hunted all my life. I dont use treestands, game cameras, or 4-wheelers nor do I belong to a hunting club, but I know plenty of people who do, and every time they've been stolen from its been non-hunters who did it.
    We caught logging company stealing 6 of our lader stands once on our hunting lease once. One-piece welded 20' high , double seat, shooting rail. Each cost $2000 a decade ago. a couple of people had generators walk off as well from their camps.

Too many people with locks on gate. Landowner, lease holders, timber management company, and logging company when working.

We used to lease timberland owned by a very famous singer. Our president convinced her to lease to us primarily so someone would be on the property routinely keeping eye on it. Lots of bad things go on without someone around. Squatters, stills, meth labs, unscrupulous loggers stealing timber , etc . 10' over the property line is money in Someones pocket. And you lucky if its only 10', not 20.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-12-2019 at 13:31.

I did hunt for many yrs. Since when can't hunters be drug addicts, scum, or engage in low life behavior? You're simply saying a hunter that doesn't steal is a non stealing hunter. Yeah, and a Hershey's bar is a Hershey's bar. Self validating. Hunters certainly aren't all honest and certainly can steal from and vandalize other hunter's property. There's no supposed absolute immunity from bad behavior because someone hunts just as there is no absolute immunity from bad behavior among those that hike, politicians, teachers, priests, family members, LE, judges,....

I still fish. I had one Scanoe, as square steered canoe, stolen by another fisherman, no known drug problems. A jon boat stolen by another fisherman that did have drug and low life issues that had criminal history. These acts of thefts were confirmed. I had a large freshwater tackle box stolen from the back of my PU at a remote stream with the only others around other fisherman. I strongly suspect it was another fisherman.

I had remote deer stands and one duck blind vandalized or destroyed by I strongly suspect other hunters who wanted the hunting area to themselves. I met two different long time hunters on two different occasions who displayed outright hostility that someone else had stands or a duck blind in the area that they thought belonged only to them. This occurred on land open to the public. One hunter was a heavy drinker who was witnessed several times leaving the forest intoxicated. Alcohol is a drug too and alcohol use among hunters is not that rare.

Images

I'm sure there are instances of hikers stealing from other hikers - or any other target of opportunity a dishonest hiker might come across. Just as there are instances of hunters stealing from other hunters, etc. Typically there are people who respect other peoples property and laws in general, and those who do not. As to whether or not hunters are above breaking the law, well maybe they're a bit more law abiding than fishermen, but there seems to be plenty of disregard for the law to go around. Just in Maine alone, here's a sample: "In the 8-year period 2007 – 2015, Maine game wardens gave more citations to anglers than to hunters. Anglers received a total of 4,192 citations while hunters received 2,869. https://georgesoutdoornews.bangordai...-than-hunters/

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I'm sure there are instances of hikers stealing from other hikers - or any other target of opportunity a dishonest hiker might come across. Just as there are instances of hunters stealing from other hunters, etc. Typically there are people who respect other peoples property and laws in general, and those who do not. As to whether or not hunters are above breaking the law, well maybe they're a bit more law abiding than fishermen, but there seems to be plenty of disregard for the law to go around. Just in Maine alone, here's a sample: "In the 8-year period 2007 – 2015, Maine game wardens gave more citations to anglers than to hunters. Anglers received a total of 4,192 citations while hunters received 2,869. https://georgesoutdoornews.bangordai...-than-hunters/
    More fishing violations, than hunting, is probably because more people fish than hunt. Nationwide, people that fish outnumber people that hunt by 3 to 1. I dont know what the ratio is in Maine.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...w16-qkfact.pdf
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 01-12-2019 at 19:22.

If all hunters were always acting legally there would be no need for Game Wardens. Disenfranchised hunters are quite common bitching about all many of things. Some so much they excuse and justify illegal behavior. Hunters are not above the law or somehow ethically or morally levitating above the rest of humanity. Illegal hunting happens and hunters will steal from each other and vandalize other others stuff. Hunters losing hunting access to property and rights is not always done by non hunters. If you are a hunter assuming other hunters will not steal from or damage other hunters property or access you're setting yourself up to experience it.

As long as there are no people, there are no thefts.

Unless there are bears of course

I've seen people grab others treking poles. Since so many hikers use the same poles, it's pretty easy, especially when there is a big pile of them. I make all my gear look like mine. Stickers, tape, yarn, and paint are cheap.

Another reason to stay away from the Riff Raff crowd.

https://www.reyzersystems.com/store/...a58bf1c23d4a02

If you are habituated to keeping your Smart Ph on your person integrate with that phone after downloading the App. When I was a MNGR at Garden Centers, and Head Horticulturalist at a NJ Golf Course, and involved in landscape contracting installation services to a greater extent we started doing LoJack type systems in mobile heavy equipment like combinations - Ditch Witches, SkidSteers, excavators, motorized wheel barrels, golf carts, small ATV's like John Deere work vehicles, underground irrigation and utility line power trenchers, vibration plate tampers, wet saws, wood chippers, etc, items commonly stolen and black market resold. We recovered stolen Deeres, employee golf carts, tampers, and a wood chipper this way. It helped we etched into the main body or clearly marked everything which dissuaded shady dealings. Everything that had a serial # was inventoried and recorded. It makes investigation and confirmation of ownership easier for authorities. Placing your name on gear helps. Make it a pt to display these labels. Make your gear somehow unique and easily personally identifiable.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++