WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Gear theft

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    When I dump my 90 lb pack on the ground and do something else like a water run---no one is crazy enough to try and pick it up and run away.

Attachment 44442
    Yupp. Wouldnt touch it if you payed me.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

The only thing I have heard of concerning Pack theft was several years ago when that kid claimed he left his pack at the Roan High Knob AT intersection to go to the summit and when he returned, no pack.

The other instance I have whitnessed personally was up in Virginia I met TatuJo who was just south of Pearisburg. He, an old man, and a young kid stayed at a shelter the night before. You kid had takin old mans trekking poles and tatujo was runnin him down to retrieve them and give a good thump to his knoggin!

Other than these instances I have only heard rumors of food bags being takin from cables or bear boxes.. Another and main reason why I sleep with my food.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I read where a woman and her dog's gear was stolen last year near Damascus. Someone lost a pack near Dismal Creek during my thru hike. He thought it was stolen but I think a bear got it. I had seen a bear in the area the day before.
    If it was this one - it was at the Overmountain Shelter, the Husky hurt its paw and she took it to a vet. She first carried the pack down to the road and then came back to carry the dog down. By the time that she got to the road with the dog, the pack was gone. I don't know if she had hid the pack in the woods or just left it by the road. People chipped in some cash and I heard that she got some gear from a previous hiker.

I cannot leave my pack unattended, too much accountability drilled into me in the Army. This can lead to carrying it on the long 0.3 mile downhill (and uphill) blue blaze to the water source at the Raven Rock Shelter in MD. Of course, no one else was on the trail or at the shelter that day.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

My backpacking buddy Patman has an interesting story when he left his pack on a trail in the Smokies and went on a water run and when he was gone a bear took his pack and ripped it open. See---

https://www.trailspace.com/forums/tr...cs/129405.html

image.jpg

Have not had anything purloined in the backcountry. I do not stay in or near shelters. There have been a couple of times, when camped in a popular backcountry area, I ran into sketchy types and did not leave the tent much. It would be easy for some one to take my high dollar, lightweight down bag that I'm not willing to part with.

Images

If it was this one - it was at the Overmountain Shelter, the Husky hurt its paw and she took it to a vet. She first carried the pack down to the road and then came back to carry the dog down. By the time that she got to the road with the dog, the pack was gone.

and depending upon what road she came out on, that area is not really safe to begin with...

plenty of car break ins have happened at carvers gap..........

Journal Entries

A 17yr old kid posted here several yrs ago his pack was taken at a shelter.

And of course, Joel Polsom was murdered for his gear...

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    When I dump my 90 lb pack on the ground and do something else like a water run---no one is crazy enough to try and pick it up and run away.

Attachment 44442
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Yupp. Wouldnt touch it if you payed me.

Dont kid yourself. 30 lbs of avocados are worth a pretty penny on the avocado black market.

As with most cases of theft, the perp has little or nothing to lose by doing it. Regrettably, there are people like that hiking the AT. And they blend in well.

I wouldn't be astonished if pack theft increases as more and more rely on pricier electronics in the backcountry. Smartphones are one of the most targeted items. And the way people tend to use them out in the open so much and how they're often stored when not used is an invitation. I don't even make it a habit to divulge the value of gear...anymore Only had one pack stolen but that was at a Walmart resupply in Reno. I may have opened up myself to being targeted because I discussed this a little too freely. Mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I wouldn't be astonished if pack theft increases as more and more rely on pricier electronics in the backcountry. Smartphones are one of the most targeted items. And the way people tend to use them out in the open so much and how they're often stored when not used is an invitation. I don't even make it a habit to divulge the value of gear...anymore Only had one pack stolen but that was at a Walmart resupply in Reno. I may have opened up myself to being targeted because I discussed this a little too freely. Mistake.

Having spent as much time as I have hanging around bus terminals, I'm amazed that cell phones left unattended while charging are respected. For sure, these aren't the latest iPhones, but still. Even among the downtrodden, they don't mess with other peoples phones. If anyone wants to steal my $30 Tackfone, they can have it.

Mentioning you have $1500 worth of gear in you backpack probably isn't an good idea. Most likely the average, random person would not think it's worth anything near that much. Unless they know camping gear and want it for themselves. What's your gear worth at a pawn shop? Not much.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    It's happened.

But it's very far from common or normal.

It shoudnt be an issue anyways because as a hiker you are responsible for keeping your pack and equipment in check.

With that said, i have zero problems leaving my gear unsupervised with other hikers around that I know.

Exactly. Anything they steal they have to carry out themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Having spent as much time as I have hanging around bus terminals, I'm amazed that cell phones left unattended while charging are respected. For sure, these aren't the latest iPhones, but still. Even among the downtrodden, they don't mess with other peoples phones. If anyone wants to steal my $30 Tackfone, they can have it.

Mentioning you have $1500 worth of gear in you backpack probably isn't an good idea. Most likely the average, random person would not think it's worth anything near that much. Unless they know camping gear and want it for themselves. What's your gear worth at a pawn shop? Not much.
    There's often some shady stuff happening and characters around Greyhound stations. It's a target for thieves which is why LE and security is often stationed there. As a frugal not always in a hurry traveler I sometimes tolerate the Dog for shorter trips to backpacking destinations. On two different occasions at transfers in large urban impoverished areas phones came up missing at charging stations.

If some one is stealing gear from a backpacker especially if the backpacker is a known thru hiker or there's one path I think the thief is not another thru hiker or hiker fraud doing the same hike. That's why I pay added attention to locals or dirtbags trying to pass themselves off as hikers or hikers soon to get off the trail. If aware you start learning who doesn't fit the picture, who is likely to have that "take the money and run" thing about them. I started becoming even more aware when I had those two boats, one canoe and one jon boat, paddling gear out of a yak, and that pack stolen. Having that pack stolen I was as mad at myself as much as the thief. That hole in your gut when you get over the denial and accept that your stuff is gone is one I wish not repeat.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Mentioning you have $1500 worth of gear in you backpack probably isn't an good idea.
    I don't disagree... but now-a-days, seems like just about every thru hiker or serious hiker that's not a beginner likely has $1,500 (full retail replacement cost) worth of gear on them for a hike.

For fun, here's a rough estimate of the replacement cost of things I had with me during a JMT thru (excludes electronics such as cell phone, GPS, and camera).

Here's a rough rundown of what I during a JMT thru:
    Tent $500
    Bear Canister $350
    Sleeping Bag $300
    Sleeping Pad $175
    Pack $200
    Stove/Cook set $125
    Puffy Jacket $300
    Wool Layer $200
    Boots $250
    Rain Jacket $100
    Rain Pants $50
    Misc Clothing $150
    Water system $50
    Misc Gear $100
    Hiking Poles $100
    That's almost $3,000 worth of gear (full retail replacement cost and EXCLUDES all electronics). I find that surprising... but I also know I likely spent only $1,700 over many years of buying that stuff often at discounts.

Of course you need to be aware of your suroundings and be attentive. But no need to be overly parionod about it. Judge the risks at the time and act accordingly.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

There's a law enforcement reality TV series opportunity here - Bait Pack.
    Unattended pack...with a bonus inside for the thief:

A layer of shrimp ramen on top and below that the real prize

1) used, unwashed hiker socks and underwear
    2) privy "compost"
    3) an angry opossum
    4) a bald faced hornets nest

... yeah, slow morning

What bear can did you use that was $350?

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I don't disagree... but now-a-days, seems like just about every thru hiker or serious hiker that's not a beginner likely has $1,500 (full retail replacement cost) worth of gear on them for a hike.

For fun, here's a rough estimate of the replacement cost of things I had with me during a JMT thru (excludes electronics such as cell phone, GPS, and camera).

Here's a rough rundown of what I during a JMT thru:
    Tent $500
    Bear Canister $350
    Sleeping Bag $300
    Sleeping Pad $175
    Pack $200
    Stove/Cook set $125
    Puffy Jacket $300
    Wool Layer $200
    Boots $250
    Rain Jacket $100
    Rain Pants $50
    Misc Clothing $150
    Water system $50
    Misc Gear $100
    Hiking Poles $100
    That's almost $3,000 worth of gear (full retail replacement cost and EXCLUDES all electronics). I find that surprising... but I also know I likely spent only $1,700 over many years of buying that stuff often at discounts.

Oh wait I think I misunderstood your post

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post

Journal Entries

Recently put in a Ring doorbell.

Interesting thing is you can share video with others near you

Lets just say, that opportunistic package theft is much more prevalent than would have imagined......in good areas even. You simply dont hear about most.

Same likely applies to trail thefts.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-09-2019 at 09:00.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    The Wild Ideas Bearikade Expedition is the only one I know of that comes in at that price.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++