WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Most Effective DWR spray?

My trusty rain jacket, having survived well for 6 or so years in all kinds of weather and carrying conditions, has started wetting out and is in need of a reapplication of a durable water repellent (DWR) treatment or replacement. Given the cost of this rain jacket I would like to try and get a few more years out of it. I washed and dried the garment per manufacturer's instructions to reactivate the factory applied DWR, but that did not work.

Revivex application was recommended as a good product for refreshing waterproofing on GoreTex and other fabrics, but I was curious what the collective experience here says about successful (or unsuccessful) product treatments. Anyone have experience with this?

Wouldn't know what is "best". I've used both Grangers and Revivex spray-on, and they worked...for awhile. Did not match the original DWR's performance, in my opinion. Moving forward, I will reapply DWR preemptively rather than waiting for a jacket to wet out, even if that means not really seeing the difference it makes.
    I also bought a bunch of NikWax products awhile back, and recently used their wash-in TX Direct product on an old windshirt that needed it, and a rain jacket that didn't. I use that windshirt all the time(wearing it now), and we've been getting a lot of rain, so it's been "tested" several times in the last few weeks going in and out of the house and work. I don't think the TX Direct made any difference at all. That's exactly what Pertex recommends for the Pertex Shield Plus my current rain jacket uses, though...
    Last edited by OwenM; 01-06-2019 at 10:58.

I very much hope that others have different experience, but a few years back I tried to restore waterproof-ness of several rainjackets, windshirts, ponchos and boots.
    Sprayed all bottles of products we had in the house (and that were many of various age and brand) on, but it didn't make any difference or improvement with regards to the waterproofness, other than the first few raindrops pearled off then - after a few minutes in real rain all garments were as soaked as ever.
    Complete waste of money, in my case.

What's the condition of your jacket? Look at both the interior, especially around high wear areas like shoulders where pack straps rub, and exterior.

I maintain my rain jackets in clean condition as much as possible and watch for signs of impending failure to also preemptively maintain, as Owen stated. On well maintained, maybe newer rain jackets, I prefer the Granger and ReVivex wash in WPers and DWR restorers followed up with a short dryer lower heat setting spin to set. On older WP shells where I'm attempting to get some shorter term use I prefer spray ons from Granger, NikWax, and ReVivex.

I’ve had the most luck with gearaid. I believe it’s the revivex as mentioned above. Keeping them clean frequently vs longer periods of time in between cleaning seems to help better. Nothing really seem to work for me once I’m getting wetting from drizzle. I have a Columbia jacket I’ve tried everything too. Idk maybe it’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean/wash and fully air dry to prep the DWR or WPer. They can actually be different products. One for restoring DWR and one for WPing. Clean as directed. I tend to clean using the same manufacturer's cleaner as the DWR or WPer manufacturer. Sometimes the cleaner/wash is designed to specifically compliment the same manufacturer's DWR or WPer. This might be noted on labels. There are products that do this in one step with one product - cleaning/washing and restoring teh DWR or WPness. In my experiences those products haven't worked as well restoring the DWR or WPness. Make sure the jacket is fully dry. If using the spray on versions of DWR's and WPers apply full coverage being sure to not miss spots. THEN, dry on a heat setting to set DWR or WPer per instructions if that is noted. I obtain better results applying the DWR or WPer when the jacket is laid flat doing it in sections to get complete coverage letting the product soak in rather than running off. For this reason I don't hang the jacket when applying. Follow up with manufacturer's directions. I've experienced spotty wetting out because I missed spots or the reapplied DWR or WPer was thinner in some spots.

All this presupposes the WP membrane hasn't been so severely damaged that the mechanical damage surpasses any DWR or WP reapplication goals.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Good points I'd not fully considered with regard to condition. I have kept very good care of this garment over the years, keeping it clean, stuff sack protection when traveling and in a pack, etc. The rain jacket itself does have some shoulder strap wear/chaffing on one shoulder (but not the other interestingly). However, thats not where it tends to wet out, which is on the back (without a pack on) so I suspect packs themselves may have compromised the fabric over the years, though it does not look scuffed or damaged in any way.

I will give the Revivex a try, but after reading these posts and given the number of trail miles (never mind around town use) the raincoat may have given its all. To paraphrase George Martin, "All raincoats must die", an inescapable fact that may now require another look at what the market is offering now..

I tried to revive 2 montbell shells and 2 pants with revivex spray on after cleaning. It didn't really seem to make much of an improvement. Time for new jackets...

Can you repurpose it though performance might have fallen off? I wear old apparel in the garden, rough windier fishing conditions where wt isn't as much an issue and WPness is less necessary, and have one rain jacket in the trunk of a car. When noting gear not meeting expectations because of use I reuse. I do gardening work in old $70 Smartwool and Icebreaker tees, merino socks, trail runners, etc. I may have been the only one in history to change their PU oil wearing a $70 Smartwool T-shirt, $150 trail runners, and Patagonia vest.

Certainly! Repurposing for day hikes when cold wind is forecasted, stashed in the car for quick use or to lend, chores around the yard, are all in the mix.

I've used NikWax products with some luck, I do think the wash may work better than the spray as it seems to last longer.

++ New Posts ++