WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clothing Question for Late May NOBO Start

I've been going back and forth on what layers to bring for a late May start NOBO.

Is a full on waterproof jacket necessary? I'm expecting lots of rain but I'm thinking a jacket is unnecessary because it will be so warm and humid. I am planning on bringing my Patagonia Houdini but that's an ultralight water resistant wind jacket. Maybe a poncho?

What about a puffy? Again, I'm thinking unnecessary. I'm also considering getting a light puffy vest so I'll have something.

Also, planning to pick up a puffy and waterproof rain jacket once I get to the 4,000 footers in New England in July.

TIA!
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/davidbraunlich/

Attempting a 70 day NOBO thru-hike on May 24, 2019.

CT 2018

An UL poncho, an UL windshirt, an UL vest.

So goods to me for summer on the AT. Youll be packing really light as well.

My choices would be:

MLD Poncho DCF
    Montbell Tachyon
    Montbell UL Thermawrap Vest

In NH I would pick up a 100w fleece pullover and swap the poncho for a jacket.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fastfoxengineering; 01-05-2019 at 10:47.

My favorite piece of gear was my Houdini Windshirt. It, however, decreased my use of the Marmot Precip. I also had a lightweight pack cover that (like most on the AT) always would wet out. I used a cheap Dry Duck Poncho (Hiker box score) from HF to NH; yet it never rode correctly and tore easily. This Christmas, I ordered “The Packa” to solve every issue and do so at a lighter weight that also works with the Houdini. As far as the Puffy, I carried mine the entire way and was glad I did. My coldest night in August wasn’t in NH or Maine bit was actually in Vermont, camping by a tower to climb for Sunset and Sunrise. Good Luck and enjoy.
    Last edited by gbolt; 01-05-2019 at 11:05.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I stared May 16. I took a Sea2Summit UltraSil poncho tarp and used that. It worked great. The temps in GA in May are near perfect.

Every time I decide to give a poncho another go, I end up regretting that decision. They just don't work for me. About the only time they are useful is in the laundromat since public nudity is frowned upon. A jacket is just so much easier to deal with and is more useful in more situations.

For a warm layer I go with a fleece vest. On chilly mornings or evenings, the vest and jacket are all I need to stay comfortable. The fleece vest also makes for a good pillow since it doesn't compress like down and there really isn't any other piece of clothing I'm willing to lay my head on all night. I refuse to spend $30 on some fancy blow up camping pillow.

I always carry a light fleece hat and my Dickie Work shirt goes on every trip. A couple of T-shirts, 2 pair of undies, 2 pairs of socks and a couple of bandana's is my clothes list for summer.

Oh and pants. I know the sign doesn't say pants are required, only shirt and shoes, but pants are nice to have Some will just go with shorts, but I like the option of having full length leg covering. If you do wear shorts, short gaiters are a must, or you'll be stopping often to clean stones and sticks out of your shoes. A pair of swim trunks can be nice to have as occasionally you'll have to opportunity to go swimming. Of course, shorts will work for that too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I wish i had a poncho during the summer months of the AT.

The best part about a poncho in the summer is how easy it is to just hunker down in it.

There was a few times where its nice to just put a poncho on, go hide under a tree crouching down, and have the poncho cover your whole body and pack.

Ride out the storm for 30 minutes and your good to go. You dont HAVE to trudge through the misery. Eat some food while you wait.

If your carrying a tarp you can do the same. Rig it real quick or drape it over you.

This doesnt work with the just a rain jacket. You get soaked.

If i was to hike the AT again, Id start later and rep a poncho probably all the way to Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I wish i had a poncho during the summer months of the AT.

The best part about a poncho in the summer is how easy it is to just hunker down in it.

There was a few times where its nice to just put a poncho on, go hide under a tree crouching down, and have the poncho cover your whole body and pack.

Ride out the storm for 30 minutes and your good to go. You dont HAVE to trudge through the misery. Eat some food while you wait.

If your carrying a tarp you can do the same. Rig it real quick or drape it over you.

This doesnt work with the just a rain jacket. You get soaked.

If i was to hike the AT again, Id start later and rep a poncho probably all the way to Katahdin.

I use my white 10mil ground cloth like a poncho to hunker in during a hard rainstorm. It covers both me and my pack. And you're right---crazy rain deluges usually last about 30 minutes and then you're good to go. I keep the rolled up ground cloth in my pack's water bottle pocket for quick access.

BUT . . . the whole purpose of a rain jacket is to keep me alive in a cold rain---and even in summer and especially May what drops from the sky can be butt cold. (Had a snowstorm in the NC mountains on May 7, 2017). So a good rain jacket is designed to keep your torso and core warm when you're soaking wet and moving---or hunkering for a short time.

I like what Chris Townsend---avid backpacker---says about it when asked in an interview about his most important pieces of gear. On top of his list? His rain jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I use my white 10mil ground cloth like a poncho to hunker in during a hard rainstorm. It covers both me and my pack. And you're right---crazy rain deluges usually last about 30 minutes and then you're good to go. I keep the rolled up ground cloth in my pack's water bottle pocket for quick access.

BUT . . . the whole purpose of a rain jacket is to keep me alive in a cold rain---and even in summer and especially May what drops from the sky can be butt cold. (Had a snowstorm in the NC mountains on May 7, 2017). So a good rain jacket is designed to keep your torso and core warm when you're soaking wet and moving---or hunkering for a short time.

I like what Chris Townsend---avid backpacker---says about it when asked in an interview about his most important pieces of gear. On top of his list? His rain jacket.
    I agree that a rain jacket is important... but

In the context of the AT.. starting in May. I dont think id be in any trouble with a poncho and the rest of my kit.

Baselayer, fleece windshirt, synthetic puffy, poncho. Id be dying of heat even if it was all soaked thru. Dry 20* quilt.

Summer on the AT. I never touched my rain jacket, windshirt, or puffy for weeks.

And honestly if I had a poncho i still probably wouldnt have hiked in it because it was simply too warm. I would have used it for the hunker down moments to just wait out a deluge. You can sense em. You can smell em. You know when theyre going to be brief.

Not saying it cant get cold, I know it can.

But May-July in the southern appalachians, one should be able to avoid hypothermia with a little common sense. A poncho should be able to trap plenty of warmth if need be.

Hunkering down is probably when youll see your breath. You might get a little cold. If you start thinking your too cold or the rain isnt gonna stop. Well keep the poncho on and hike till your too warm for it anymore.

Or setup camp, put dry clothes on and hunker down.

Brauda is doing a 70 day AT 'unsupported' thru. His thread should be moved to the speed hiking forum.

Your kit which includes apparel is going to likely play a significant role in enjoyably achieving the 70 day goal. You're going to want it, your approach, and other aspects of yourself over that duration to compliment each in an integrated fashion. You want to flow rather unencumbered as you did in the NJ FKT video. Now, we're going to attain 70 days in 2200 miles @ 32 MPD avg with that very good attitude, preparation, and organization previously displayed. I'd want to know more about these things so we are like minded to intelligently optimize answers and options to propel us to achieving that goal. Targeted answers. Feel free to PM or eMail.

Yeah that kinda changes everything.

At that rate, your going to be hiking through everything, no matter the weather. You have too.

Id still say a dcf poncho, synthetic vest, wind shirt, and a light fleece would be ideal for a speed hiker.

As long as the poncho is well designed like rons.

Even a poncho tarp might be the best option if he plans on utilizing shelters like i see alot of speed hikers doing.

The only problem with shelters is it determines your schedule and you lose flexibility.

But the poncho tarp might be ideal.

You can have the lightest pack possible. And still have a shelter. When its nice out, crush miles, cowboy camp, and the poncho tarp should be fine.

In the rain, crush miles, but aim for shelters.

If you have an uncomfortable night under a poncho tarp is it really that big of deal? We are taking a blazing fast hike here. The whole thing is going to be uncomfortable.

Imo, if your hiking that fast.. then your best defense against the cold is putting in more miles. Of course, dont put yourself at any safety risk... or mitigate the risk, cause a 70 day thru hike is inherently unsafe lol.

Yea, speed hike does change the gear list a lot. A poncho is useful to hunker down under and that can often be the best thing to do rather then try to trudge through it. Like Tipi says, they usually don't last long. I'll often carry one in the summer just for that. The disposable Frogg Toggs is pretty light.

I just can't hike in a poncho. I tend to stop and rummage through my pack fairly often and a poncho makes that task a real pain to do. In warm weather I usually don't bother with any rain gear for light or moderate rain. Just so long it isn't a cold rain. Thunderstorm rain can be really cold. Just a few degrees off from being hail.

Thanks again for all the responses!

I've looked at almost all the recommendations given. For one, I've never hiked with a poncho before so not too keen on shelling out $180 for a poncho. I'm open to some more inexpensive options. It looks like Frogg Toggs is releasing a new XTREME Light Poncho (https://www.froggtoggs.com/pre-order...e-lite-poncho/) for only $40 but can't figure out info on the material or weight.

Additionally, I will be carrying my single wall Tarp Tent Pro Trail. I also plan to use the shelters frequently.

Anyway, this helped narrow down my set-up for the first 2/3 of my hike. I'm going to go with wind jacket (Patagonia Houdini), poncho (tbd), vest (tbd), and merino wool base layer (Icebreaker). I'm on somewhat of budget here too. I'll pick up a rain jacket and puffy jacket somewhere around Great Barrington.

CT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by brauda02 View Post
    Anyway, this helped narrow down my set-up for the first 2/3 of my hike. I'm going to go with wind jacket (Patagonia Houdini), poncho (tbd), vest (tbd), and merino wool base layer (Icebreaker). I'm on somewhat of budget here too. I'll pick up a rain jacket and puffy jacket somewhere around Great Barrington.
    If this coming summer is anything like last, it was beastly hot here in the Whites until well into September. It was in the 80's and 90's all of July and August. Pretty humid too. And dry, didn't even get many thunderstorms.

I doubt you'll need to buy a puffy Jacket. Your going to be either hiking or sleeping 99% of the time anyway.

Consider a Packa. It's one of those compromise items that actually works. http://www.thepacka.com/
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If this coming summer is anything like last, it was beastly hot here in the Whites until well into September. It was in the 80's and 90's all of July and August. Pretty humid too. And dry, didn't even get many thunderstorms.

I doubt you'll need to buy a puffy Jacket. Your going to be either hiking or sleeping 99% of the time anyway.
    When I section hiked New Hampshire in July 2017 I had one evening and night with cold rain. I poorly pitched my single wall non free-standing tent on a platform at Liberty Springs Tentsite and endured a wet, cold, and miserable night. Dumb! But you learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them.

CT 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Consider a Packa. It's one of those compromise items that actually works. http://www.thepacka.com/
    2nd This! I received one for this Christmas and so wish I had it for my Thur Hike last year! Best of all worlds and 30D goes for $100. I used a Frog Togg for awhile but it isn’t durable and has its issues that The Packa solves! The packa even has pit zips like my Precip to regulate heat! Also replaced my Pack Cover, so saved some weight!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I agree that a rain jacket is important... but

In the context of the AT.. starting in May. I dont think id be in any trouble with a poncho and the rest of my kit.

Baselayer, fleece windshirt, synthetic puffy, poncho. Id be dying of heat even if it was all soaked thru. Dry 20* quilt.

Summer on the AT. I never touched my rain jacket, windshirt, or puffy for weeks.

And honestly if I had a poncho i still probably wouldnt have hiked in it because it was simply too warm. I would have used it for the hunker down moments to just wait out a deluge. You can sense em. You can smell em. You know when theyre going to be brief.

Not saying it cant get cold, I know it can.

But May-July in the southern appalachians, one should be able to avoid hypothermia with a little common sense. A poncho should be able to trap plenty of warmth if need be.

Hunkering down is probably when youll see your breath. You might get a little cold. If you start thinking your too cold or the rain isnt gonna stop. Well keep the poncho on and hike till your too warm for it anymore.

Or setup camp, put dry clothes on and hunker down.

This rings true to my experience as well. I carried my puffy and my rain jacket the whole way - and definitely was glad I had my puffy, both as a pillow and as a "lounge-y sweatshirt" type layer. But even when it rained in the summer, which were often thunderstorms of a sudden, I wouldn't bother to put on my jacket and I'd just get wet and dry out later. Poncho would be fine I think.

Quote Originally Posted by brauda02 View Post

I've looked at almost all the recommendations given. For one, I've never hiked with a poncho before so not too keen on shelling out $180 for a poncho. I'm open to some more inexpensive options. It looks like Frogg Toggs is releasing a new XTREME Light Poncho (https://www.froggtoggs.com/pre-order...e-lite-poncho/) for only $40 but can't figure out info on the material or weight.

Additionally, I will be carrying my single wall Tarp Tent Pro Trail. I also plan to use the shelters frequently.

With you NOBO start date and assumed consistent movement that combo I can see working if you pick your IB baselayer wisely. I'd go for something with a zip possibly a hood and in about a 150wt. Do you think it will be a LS?

[QUOTE=brauda02;2233395]I've been going back and forth on what layers to bring for a late May start NOBO.

Is a full on waterproof jacket necessary? I'm expecting lots of rain but I'm thinking a jacket is unnecessary because it will be so warm and humid. I am planning on bringing my Patagonia Houdini but that's an ultralight water resistant wind jacket. Maybe a poncho?

What about a puffy? Again, I'm thinking unnecessary. I'm also considering getting a light puffy vest so I'll have something.

Also, planning to pick up a puffy and waterproof rain jacket once I get to the 4,000 footers in New England in July.

I started my thru hike on April 28. I used this website for all my clothes, and it was spot on. You will still need a puffy jacket of some kind in May, particularly at night after a long day of hiking in cold rain (which happens almost every other day). Bring a rain jacket, wool hat, thin pair of gloves, and a pair of camp pants for sure. Snow is not uncommon at altitude in the Southern AT even in May. Good luck!

http://www.athiker.org/things-you-need/clothing/

++ New Posts ++