WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

BTW, I have one of their Echo 2 camo versions they did for the special forces.

Cost is relative. This applies to shelters too. If we perceive financially pricier sleeping bags, quilts, shelters, apparel, etc that have useful high performing longer lifespans beyond initial purchase price the cost averaging is more palatable than perhaps narrowly viewing the "costs" only in terms of that initial purchase price.

I find it interesting what people deem expensive and how they consider what's ultimately expensive.

5-6 prs of some flimsier $120+/pr trail runners, $600-720 total, for an AT thru
    UL flimsier DCF packs at $300 or more that can be trashed even with TLC after 3500 maintained single track miles
    $250- $400 price tags of some rain jackets at high risk of short useful lifespans
    $300+ "Smart" phones outdated after 18 months

At least the HMG Echo is designed to be less of a contributor to a disposable "throw away mentality." It's functional UL!

Go Lite was one of the worst in this regard, so UL for that time their gear started getting the label of "one and done."

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I’m not promoting nor defending the Echo II as described in the subject line of Post #1.
    However, The post that I quoted above totally misses the functionality of the Echo II with full insert and beak. This is a double wall, as defined in today’s market, tent with vestibule. The Echo II is not simply a tarp.
    Wayne
    Yeah, it's simply a tarp with a beak and inner nest. Nothing ground shaking. It's marginally more effective in wind than a tarp without those items, but it still suffers from 9 foot unsupported span of fabric that makes an A-frame tarp a poor shelter in terms of storm worthiness. That's why hikers who need a true storm worthy shelter opt for a mid or Trailstar, and opt for tunnel or Geo dome tents in truly bad weather.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++