WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need Help! Backpack Size

Hi First post, I'm planning a thru hike attempt on the AT. I have no place near by closest is 3 hrs away to get "measured" for a pack. I'm 6'5" but have no idea what to get. I was looking at the Hyperlite packs but the are 2400 and 3400 Any help would be much appreciated Thanks in advanced

Great Packs. I use the Southwest 3400 on my long distance hikes. I highly recommend these packs.

Are you talking about backpack size? If so, Hyperlite explains on their website how to pick a size. 2400 and 3400 refer to volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Sarge View Post
    Hi First post, I'm planning a thru hike attempt on the AT. I have no place near by closest is 3 hrs away to get "measured" for a pack. I'm 6'5" but have no idea what to get. I was looking at the Hyperlite packs but the are 2400 and 3400 Any help would be much appreciated Thanks in advanced
    Well theres volume and then there is torso size.

If you have a soft tape measure you can accurately measure your torso length at home per instructions on HMG's website.

The 2400 vs 3400 is pack volume not size.

The torso lengths come in small, medium, and large.

I used an HMG pack on an AT thru hike. They are good packs.

Typically people recommend getting your pack last after the rest of your gear is dialed in.

Do you have a gear list of your other equipment?

The 3400 is huge...for me. I would of gotten a 2400 if I could do it again.

TBH, if your planning an AT thru hike. And dont even have your other gear. I would still get the 2400. Itll make you start trimming your kit for the get go.

At first it may seem really small. But itll force you to slim down your kit.

PM me for equipment advice for an AT thru hike if youd like.

I would also recommend a Southwest over a Windrider.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

If you are not sold on the HMG brand I would also suggest ULA or Zpacks. I have carried the ULA for a couple thousand miles and it looks brand new. I have carried the zpacks arc blast for about 450 miles and I enjoy it as well. All 3 of these manufactures have great CS support and would be happy to help you in sizing a pack if you are on the fence about sizes like I was.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks All

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I'll second fastfoxengineering's admonition to work out your gear list first in order to get a good idea of which pack to buy (regardless of whether it's an HMG or another brand.) Knowing both the weight and volume of your gear will make all the difference and let you choose a pack that fit both you and it well. You're a pretty big person at 6'5", so there are pieces of gear that might also be a bit larger for you than for other folks, like your sleeping bag/quilt for instance. I'm only 5'9", so mine would be quite a bit smaller than anything you'd use, even compressed. He's also right that thinking through your gear will help you to trim weight now rather than trying to do what too many newbies do when they start a thru, which is shed it during the first couple of weeks on the trail and then find they're not setup as well as they'd like to be. Once you know what you're gong to carry, then you can decide on the best pack to carry it in.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

First rule of UL backpacking is to keep your height under 6', so that regular size sleeping bags and pads fit you well. If you can get it under 5'6" you might even be able to take advantage of shorter sizes when offered. Second, try to be a warm sleeper. This will enable you to stay warm with less insulation, saving you weight and bulk. Third, don't be so thirsty or sweat as much, so you can save on water weight, bottle size, and so forth.

After measuring your torso length (with a friend's help) look at the large selection of packs on REI's web site. Pick one and try it out, if it fits you are done, if not, return and try again. Repeat until you get what you want. I suppose you could order several at a time and return all but one. Be nice and don't trash the ones you end up returning. You can get a good feel for fit and appropriate volume in your own home, at least tentatively.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Time Zone; you nailed the UL dogma perfectly. However, you forgot one thing ... UL means spending less. As they say in Texas, "OK, cool. Hook 'em".

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    First rule of UL backpacking is to keep your height under 6', so that regular size sleeping bags and pads fit you well. If you can get it under 5'6" you might even be able to take advantage of shorter sizes when offered. Second, try to be a warm sleeper. This will enable you to stay warm with less insulation, saving you weight and bulk. Third, don't be so thirsty or sweat as much, so you can save on water weight, bottle size, and so forth.

The most sensible UL advice yet.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++