WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tent choice

Default Tent choice

I'm struggling between the Tarptent Stratospire LI and the MLD Duomid. I had a Duplex but at 6' the condensation kept getting my bag wet at my feet. I feel like a double walled tent may prevent this.I would prefer two doors but that Duomid looks sweet. Anyone have these tents?
    Thanks
    Roy

Images

LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 -https://lightheartgear.com/collections/tents/products/lightheart-solong-6

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 -https://lightheartgear.com/collections/tents/products/lightheart-solong-6
    Nice tent but I don't like the idea that you have to get in the tent to set it up. I can only imagine what muddy shoes will do to it.

Images

The LightHeart Gear tents can easily be set up without having to get inside the tent. And, the SoLong 6 was designed for 6' plus people. - it was actually designed for a 6'8" tall person.

Images

I feel that a hammock setup would prevent this.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    I'm struggling between the Tarptent Stratospire LI and the MLD Duomid. I had a Duplex but at 6' the condensation kept getting my bag wet at my feet. I feel like a double walled tent may prevent this.I would prefer two doors but that Duomid looks sweet. Anyone have these tents?
    Thanks
    Roy
    I'm having the same struggles with the Duplex and being tall. I use a 2' stick to anchor below the end guy lines as pictured below. It pretty much fixes the problem for me. I am very interested in the SS2 Li though. I wore a SS2 out last year and the Duplex was its replacement.

IMG_0761.JPG
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 01-04-2019 at 11:52.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks
    Roy
    Nothing mentioned thus far is double walled.... is that what you want?

Also, the Duomid is floorless... does this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The TT Stratospire Li is double wall. It has options for both mesh or solid interiors.

Thanks
    Roy
    I currently have a Duplex, but also have a TarpTent Notch. I would absolutely buy one of the new TT Li tents to replace the Duplex should that come up in the near future. TT makes great products, really hard to go wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Also, the Duomid is floorless... does this matter?
    You can buy an inner net with floor for the duomid

Thanks
    Roy
    Stupid question, but have you tried to sleep at an angle inside the Duplex (unless of course you are sleeping double)? Seems as if that would give you the extra space you need? As someone else mentioned, I also stake out both ends and prop up the lines with a stick to give myself a bit more "room".
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

These are also available, which can decrease the likelihood of head or feet touching the walls

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/pole_cups.shtml

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    The LightHeart Gear tents can easily be set up without having to get inside the tent. And, the SoLong 6 was designed for 6' plus people. - it was actually designed for a 6'8" tall person.
    I can vouch for this. I'm 6'3", thru hiked the AT with this tent, and never had issues with anything getting wet inside.

I'm curious why you'd get inside any tent with muddy shoes, if that's your concern.
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

The TarpTent Double Rainbow has an internal liner option which effectively makes it a double-walled tent.

Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    I can vouch for this. I'm 6'3", thru hiked the AT with this tent, and never had issues with anything getting wet inside.

I'm curious why you'd get inside any tent with muddy shoes, if that's your concern.
    I think that they were referring to the setup video on the LightHeart website which shows the man getting inside the tent in order to insert the trekking poles into the top tube. I had wondered the same thing about getting rain inside while doing this.

Shaker

++ New Posts ++