WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Wow! What a pack!

Can't get all your gear in your old pack? Try this one!!

That must have been created by the medical industry to increase the profits for back surgeons.

It looks like Laundry Day on the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

You know, some Army duffel bags have shoulder straps with no hipbelts. Saw a kid backpacking up a wilderness creek with one.

And my buddy Wisenber carried a German version of your pic---a SturmDrang 10,000 cubic inch Monster Nut Destroyer---with no hipbelt.

Wow! Train with that and then go to a 30 lb pack . That should make your next hike very easy.

That's how I carry my massage therapist for my nightly back adjustments.

Journal Entries
    Images

nowhere near as cool as the venerable whipsnake!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Back in the old days, back when I was in the Army occasionally we had to move a lot of our stuff on our backs. That would be 2 full duffel bags, one on our back, the other hanging in front. Took a special technique to get it up and moving and damn, it was heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Can't get all your gear in your old pack? Try this one!!
    I saw, in person, an LLB pack that was said to have originally been sold in the Brazilian market, probably 1990s vintage, that was probably about 125L-150L. It was the biggest non-joke pack I'd ever seen. Sadly I didn't get a picture when it was full, only later when emptied and collapsed, so it hardly does the thing justice. Never saw any model name on it, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Back in the old days, back when I was in the Army occasionally we had to move a lot of our stuff on our backs. That would be 2 full duffel bags, one on our back, the other hanging in front. Took a special technique to get it up and moving and damn, it was heavy.
    I remember putting everything I owned in a USAF duffel bag and having to walk across Lackland AFB from one barracks squadron to another---and it nearly killed me. I still have my Dad's WW2 Navy duffel bag---white canvas with heavy drawstring cords.

Or try this one, has Tipi written all over it.
    Giant_Backpack.jpg

No hipbelt. They must have removed it to save weight.

Looks like it would be positioned around the sternum strap anyway ... dual use!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I remember putting everything I owned in a USAF duffel bag and having to walk across Lackland AFB from one barracks squadron to another---and it nearly killed me. I still have my Dad's WW2 Navy duffel bag---white canvas with heavy drawstring cords.
    On the island, one of our guys fell out with some kind of injury at the beginning of BWT. His pack was immediately handed off to me in addition to the one on my back. I have no idea how far we went or how long, but I have a vague memory of someone propping me up when we finished because I was so out of breath that I couldn't hold myself up anymore. Just weird tunnel vision that slowly receded and a deathly fear of falling out myself and getting recycled a week or more back.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    On the island, one of our guys fell out with some kind of injury at the beginning of BWT. His pack was immediately handed off to me in addition to the one on my back. I have no idea how far we went or how long, but I have a vague memory of someone propping me up when we finished because I was so out of breath that I couldn't hold myself up anymore. Just weird tunnel vision that slowly receded and a deathly fear of falling out myself and getting recycled a week or more back.
    It sounds like you pulled the Pack Humping Another Pack phenomenon. I guess it's like bugs having sex---see pic---

beetle-550522_960_720.jpg

It reminds me of backpacking into the North Carolina Rainbow Gathering in 1987---into the Nantahala NF---and wearing THREE packs---my large North Face frame pack, a friend's ALICE pack, and another friend's Sundog pack---the last two packs lashed onto my frame pack. I was the Main Bug and the other three bugs were trying to have sex with me I guess---or with each other. I loss coherency and eventually collapsed.

To your last point---god forbid getting recycled---well, I was in the second to last day of training in USAF basic when a car pulled up to the obstacle course and Oops took me back to the barracks to pack my gear and get "set back"---recycled---to the beginning of another training cycle with another training unit (called Flights). So yes I had to repeat basic due to a "Bad Attitude"---smirked too much I guess---and thus began the Across Base Duffel Bag Hike. But heck I ended up staying in for 4 years. And had some Honorable Discharges I mean was honorably discharged.

My favorite marching cadence chant?

"Ain't No Use in Looking Down
    Ain't No Discharge On the Ground."

On the other end of the scale, I was at REI a few years ago and they had these tiny tents as display tents. so you could imagine what the full size would look like.
    Not even 1 sq. ft. My cat probably would not fit in it.

I'll take one! I will finally be able to take my husband on the trail!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I'll take one! I will finally be able to take my husband on the trail!
    LOL!
    Where is that "like" button?

doubles as a tent. Brilliant.

Anybody who has been in the military can appreciate those pics

You could fit your entire house in there!

Haha this is crazy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++