WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    melted countless gloves priming those old Peak1 stoves in winter.
    Agreed. Gloves are a big problem in the dryer. I now only handwash and line dry...

I melted together at the tag ends shoe laces sitting too close to a campfire too long at a 'safety meeting.' Funny when I stood up and tried to move. I could not untie the laces. I cut them apart to get the shoes off.

Don't high dryer heat merino wool shirts, beanies, gloves or thermal bottoms NO MATTER what anyones says otherwise...especially any male hiker in a rush to get to Last Call at the Iron Horse Station Bar in Hot Springs. Be extremely careful you don't delaminate or destroy the performance or partially melt rain jackets with heat. I partially melted a Marmot Precip Rain Jacket in the dryer creating a fist size hole in the side. I've removed melted together socks from the dryer usually glued together at the elastic? cuff. Pulling apart ruins the socks. Melted shoe parts attempting to quick dry in the dryer. I've never machine dried DCF gear! I've melted/softened shoe soles on hard surfaces like asphalt and hardened lava. Damage can occur even though not fully melted. I don't immediately recall on what hike it was but one beach section the sand was so hot it partially melted the sole of the sandals I was wearing.

I would not attempt to machine dry a ZP's bag because it has thin DCF baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ...Melted shoe parts attempting to quick dry in the dryer...
    A spin dryer would be perfect for shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    any idea the melting point for dynema?
    Dyneema, Spectra and Dynex are all the same thing.
    Basically different brand names for UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene), which has a melting temperature of around 293 °F
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Polypropylene underwear was very popular in 80s-early 90s.

Its very light and very warm. Cozy soft when new.

But it pilled bad , melted in clothes dryers, and smelled pretty bad too. Also decomposed and got tacky and stretched out and lost shape with age. Thats why you dont see it no mores. At least not 100%.

I ruined some $$$ underwear back then in dryer. I had some expedition wt patagonia polypro in 1984, cost $90 then.....melted in dryer. That would be like $300 today.
    That old blue polypropylene---we all wore it back in the early 1980s---and I melted several pairs attempting to dry them at laundry mats. I'm trying to remember who made them? What brands??

I got a vintage pic of me inside my Tipi back in the early 1980s wearing what appears to be a new pair of blue polypropylene leggings. I lived in the things.

Tipi flute music 87-XL.jpg

Journal Entries

I'm beginning to think that "Tipi" should rhyme with "hippie."

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    That old blue polypropylene---we all wore it back in the early 1980s---and I melted several pairs attempting to dry them at laundry mats. I'm trying to remember who made them? What brands??

I got a vintage pic of me inside my Tipi back in the early 1980s wearing what appears to be a new pair of blue polypropylene leggings. I lived in the things.

Tipi flute music 87-XL.jpg

I have melted small holes around the ankle part of my synthetic hiking pants from having them too close to an electric heater while sitting on a chair trying to warm up. Didn't even think about it despite knowing better than to do something like that next to a real fire. Non of my gear has ever had any problems in commercial driers on high, but they usually are in with a lot of other coton clothes which I think helps keep the heat from concentrating on them. If I'm just drying synthetic clothes by themselves (which means a small load), I do keep the heat turned down as per the instructions.

John Lennon lives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++