WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    If you put the empty pot on your stove (do this with Ti, never aluminum) and heat it, the deposits will burn and turn to ash and can then be easily removed with a damp cloth or paper towel once the pot cools. There will be discoloration of the titanium, but this will not matter a bit to the pot's function.
    Whoa! your method may cause the pot to get what is refered to as "oil canning". The pots bottom to bulge out like the bottom of an oil can.

Images

By accident I found a product that cleans the soot and tar off pots used in wood fires, with ease.

It might work on burned food inside the pot.

Use liquid Chaffing Fuel as the cleaning fluid. Pour some in a shallow paper plate, wrap the sides of the pot with paper towels, put the pot in and soak over night. (I only soaked the bottom overnight for this photo session) It only took one min. to clean the bottom from start to finish. Use a paint scraper instead of a single edge razor, I think it's workk better. The razor blade was too sharp and kinda dug into the metal and made some skid marks

Last edited by zelph; 01-02-2019 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Whoa! your method may cause the pot to get what is referred to as "oil canning". The pots bottom to bulge out like the bottom of an oil can.
    Have you actually seen this happen with titanium pots? If dry baking in a titanium pot, you are basically heating a pot with no liquid inside; what I have recommended is similar.
    I have never had "oil canning" occur with dry baking in a ti pot.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

At this point I would have ordered new.

No time to try it today but, I'm going to try QiWiz's method. I'll let you know if I "oil can" it.

Id just let it go. All my titanium pots have stains from extended use. Coffee will leave stains on your ti mug

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

W8lkinUSA

TLDR..

I've used the Ringer chainmail from Amazon on my Solo Stove. I had burnt on rubber from gloves. I've also used the back of a knife. Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend can also be used.

Less than 30 minutes later, the wood stove looks almost like new. The Ringer is phenomenal!

W8lkinUSA

Hah. I've just remembered about a YouTube video. I believe soap and vinegar was boiled, then allowed to soak. Followed by baking soda.

Maybe, it was reversed. Heat baking soda, add vinegar to a boil, soak until cool.

W8lkinUSA

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Bon Ami - powdered cleanser - IIRC claims to be "no scratch"
    I only remember fewer to no chemicals..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Have you actually seen this happen with titanium pots? If dry baking in a titanium pot, you are basically heating a pot with no liquid inside; what I have recommended is similar.
    I have never had "oil canning" occur with dry baking in a ti pot.
    Dry baking is done using the smallest flame possible. Usually taking around 45 min to bake a large muffin without burning it.

The oil canning usually happens when a pot is allowed to boil dry and continue to be heated with a large flame usually happening when using canister stoves.

oven cleaner....ezoff or similar

It may not work at this point for a stain...and certainly won't remove any scratches that have been put in by scrubbing. Spray it onto burnt on food like that though and it comes right of after soaking a bit

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    No time to try it today but, I'm going to try QiWiz's method. I'll let you know if I "oil can" it.
    How did that method work out for you?

Would you guys please come over and clean my pots and pans?

Trying to save an ounce or two can introduce more problems than it solves! I tried the Ti cook pot, but found it always burned the food. Hello REI returns, welcome back, old fashioned steel pot.

here is the best way i know to clean a ti pot -

take several $20 bills set them inside the ti pot and light them on fire then throw the whole mess away and buy a cheap al pot and never worry about it again

I have a blasting cabinet and an assortment of media; ground nut shells or baking soda are gentle and might do it, or might have to step up and use fine glass beads. Crushed glass will remove just about anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    Thanks QiWiz. I'll try that. Like I just said, I don't think the stain will affect anything but at this point, my curiosity won't me let this thing die. I'll report back on the result.
    Did your curiosity figure it it out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++